3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2010 4:47 PM by Grampa Gar

Is printFrom() unsupported in Shockwave?

Grampa Gar

I'm in the process of updating several apps that I once ran as projectors and now I need them to run in Shockwave. I was shocked to see the error message "use of unsupported lingo command" when the printFrom() command was called from within Shockwave while the same printForm() lingo works perfectly in the projector version. Am I missing something simple here or is there a special way to print in Shockwave?

• 1. Re: Is printFrom() unsupported in Shockwave?
          Grampa Gar Level 1

OK.... I'm resorting to one of my least favorite pastimes - replying to myself, but maybe it will help someone else.

After almost 10 years of Director dabbling I was shocked and depressed to learn that printing in Shockwave is not as straightforward as I had expected. Apparently there is a way to do it by having your Shockwave app write the printable material to a new web page and then have your browser do the printing from there. However, the documentation for that method ( http://www.director-online.com/buildArticle.php?id=444 ) looks rather old, complicated and involves JavaScript and PERL - neither of which I have any experience.

So it looks like the only "easy" way for me to print in Shockwave is to use the PrintOMatic xtra. I have not gotten it to work yet (connection problems with the PrintOMatic download site?), but I'm writing this in the hopes that a 2nd post here will attract some attention and maybe an alternative print method will surface.

• 2. Re: Is printFrom() unsupported in Shockwave?
            Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

You can use the Flash Asset xtra for printing. You need to add the xtra to your movie's xtra list and mark it for auto-download.

• 3. Re: Is printFrom() unsupported in Shockwave?
              Grampa Gar Level 1

Thank you so much!! The Flash Asset xtra does indeed allow for printing in Shockwave!

For someone (like me) without much understanding of object oriented programing (i.e. class, instance, ancestor etc.), it takes a while to get a sense for how it works, but ultimately it can be cut, pasted and cobbled together to suit one's needs.