7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2010 11:17 AM by Oodini

Pentax K-5 and K-r

Hi there,

any chance to include shortly the new Pentax DSLR K-5 and K-r in Camera Raw?

cheers

Gerd

• 1. Re: Pentax K-5 and K-r
          LinsenGottfried

Please add this feature! Thank you!

• 2. Re: Pentax K-5 and K-r
            Level 4

270972 wrote:

…the new Pentax DSLR K-5 and K-r in Camera Raw?…

Both of those cameras can shoot and record images in native DNG format, so you don't need separate support for the Pentax raw PEFs.

Therefore, it's a safe bet that adding redundant support for the PEF raw files generated by these camera models will not be a high priority for the ACR team any time soon.  The DNGs from these camera models are already supported.

• 3. Re: Pentax K-5 and K-r
              Oodini

The Pentax DSLR create linearized DNG. They are not real

raw files.

• 4. Re: Pentax K-5 and K-r
                Level 4

Same reply:

How do you come to that questionable conclusion, Oodini?  Where do you think you read that?

You can't base that on the size of the file alone, as an uncompressed DNG file will of course be larger than a corresponding compressed raw file.

I can assure you that the DNGs from my K20D are absolutely undemosaiced raw DNG files and in no way "linearized".  I assume you do understand the concept of linear files—which raw files are.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 5. Re: Pentax K-5 and K-r
                  Oodini Level 1

> How do you come to that questionable conclusion, Oodini ?

I am helped by my confused souvenirs. :-)

> Where do you think you read that ?

On some forums, but I just read my old contributions in these forums, and I was writing the opposite of what I just wrote in this thread.

Very sorry. My mistake...

• 6. Re: Pentax K-5 and K-r
                    MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Pentax K-5 and K-r DNG raw files can be processed already in Camera Raw (versions 2.4 thru 6.3 RC) and Lightroom (all versions).

Pentax supports lossless-compressed DNG in all of its recent models. The file sizes of the DNGs are approximately the same as for PEFs (which are also lossless-compressed).

Even with older Pentax models that do not support lossless-compressed DNG, those DNG images are still Bayer mosaic CFA raw files. They are not linear DNGs. The file sizes are bigger simply because the raw files are uncompressed.
                    • 7. Re: Pentax K-5 and K-r
                      Oodini Level 1

Anyway, I shoot many pictures in PEF format (K-r) , thinking that the next update of Camera Raw support it.

So I need to Camera raw support the K-r PEF files. Even if it already supports the DNG format.