11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2010 9:51 AM by the_wine_snob

No audio after importing AVCHD files

kfrose12

I have a Sony HDR-SR10 and when I import the AVCHD files into Premiere Elements 9.0 there is no audio track in the timeline and I can not hear the audio either.  I've been reading all the other suggestions to this problem on the threads but I still have not been able to fix it.  I do not have the trial version and the audio on my computer works fine, in fact when I play the videos in other programs, Picture Motion Browser and HP MediaSmart, I can hear the audio.  I have tried importing both m2ts, mts and mpeg2 files but the audio still doesn't work. I have tried importing the video with both HD 1080i 30 5.1 channel and HD 1080i 30 both with no luck.  Please let me know what else I can try to do in order to get the audio working?

• 1. Re: No audio after importing AVCHD files
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the specs. of your Project Preset?

Does your camera record in DD 5.1 SS?

Did you let the Conforming process complete? This ARTICLE will give you some background.

Does PrE play other Audio files fine? This ARTICLE will give you some tips on general Audio issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: No audio after importing AVCHD files
            kfrose12 Level 1

My Project Settings are HDV 1080i 5.1 Channel.

My camera manual indicates the audio compression format is Dolby Digital 2/5.1ch Dolby Digitial 5.1 Creator

I read the Conforming article and I'm not really sure how I know if this process is complete?  Should I get an error message if it doesn't conform?

I read your Audio article yesterday when I was trying to fix this.  I have a brand new computer so the audio drivers are all up to date.  When I go to the ASIO settings it lists my Speakers, RealTek High Definition Audio and I have that checked.  Do I need to check Device 32-bit playback or not?

Another thing I forgot to bring up is that when I put an mp3 that came with Premiere in the timeline I can hear it fine.  This makes me think that it has more to do with the file type that I'm importing rather than any audio settings?

• 3. Re: No audio after importing AVCHD files
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You should not be using the HDV project preset with this camcorder.

It is an AVCHD camcorder, so you should be using the 1920x1080 AVCHD preset for 5.1 audio.

Remember, per Bill's notes, it can take a few minutes for your audio to conform when you first load your clips into your project. (You can watch the progress in the lower right corner of the interface.) It's important to wait until it's completely conformed before you start editing.

If it's not working with the 5.1 audio preset, you should try the stereo 1920x1080 AVCHD and see if that makes a difference.

I assume you're shooting your video at FH (highest) quality. If you've selected another quality setting, it may not fit with the program's AVCHD settings.

• 4. Re: No audio after importing AVCHD files
                zombiee77

Hi there,

I have exactly the same problem here.

I imported a mpeg video with aac audio, this was no problem for adobe premiere elements 9. But a avchd file with h264 video and ac3 audio is only recognized with video and no audio.

This seems to me like the ac3 codec is not supported by pe9.

zombiee77

• 5. Re: No audio after importing AVCHD files
                  zombiee77 Level 1

anyone a solution?

• 6. Re: No audio after importing AVCHD files
                    nealeh Level 5

zombiee77, when you say "I have exactly the same problem here." you mean that:

• you are using a Sony HDR-SR10
                    • your Project Settings are HDV 1080i 5.1 Channel
                    • your ASIO settings are RealTek High Definition Audio

If this is not the case then your problem is different and you will be better of creating a new discussion for your problem.

Ensure before creating the discussion that you have followed these basics first:

• Install all Windows Updates.

• Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.8 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.

• Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites.
                    • Run Disk Cleanup.
                    • Run Defragmenter.
                    • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning.
                    • Use the GSpot Codec Information Utility to analyse the file and post screen image.
                    • Post back here with the necessary information described here: Got a Problem? How to Get Started

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: No audio after importing AVCHD files
                      nealeh Level 5

kfrose12 wrote:

I have a brand new computer so the audio drivers are all up to date.

No no no no no.

Brand new computers are out of date even before they come off the assembly line. This is because manufacturers create the master copy of hard disks months before they are fitted in a PC. So ensure you have completed all the basics I listed in reply 6 above. For your audio you can find the drivers here.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale

• 8. Re: No audio after importing AVCHD files
                        zombiee77 Level 1

Please do not bother with annoying comments. It is the same problem, because:

- It does not any matter, what audio hardware you setted up in the settings, if there is no audiotrack

- the cam-hardware does not any matter, because kfrose12 can play and edit his videos with other progs (like me)

If you do not have a solve for this problem, don't spent time to make other users reading unusefull comments.

• 9. Re: No audio after importing AVCHD files
                          imapcfriend Level 1

Nealeh,

Are you dumb or are you just plain stupid?

The problem is no audio track when importing to premiere elements 9.  I have a "similar" problem when importing DVDs into premiere elements 9, and that is i don't get audio tracks when i import DVD/vob to the timeline.

Adobe has been stuborn by not fixing their customers problems starting from PE8 which has a ton of bugs. Adobe's strategy has always been to blame it on something else besides PE. It's always, update your QT, update your video driver, update windows, etc...etc...etc...

My argument is, if your customers are able to meet the minumum requirements, which most of us have, this product (PE9) should work out of the box without a hitch !!!

Is this the reason why apple did not want flash on their phones?  Probably because adobe products are memory hogs!

• 10. Re: No audio after importing AVCHD files
                            nealeh Level 5

Definitely a bit of both. But if you want to have a rant at Adobe about minimum requirements this is the wrong place. We're just ordinary users trying to help each other out. To rant at Adobe click the logo at the top left of these forums.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale

• 11. Re: No audio after importing AVCHD files
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              My argument is, if your customers are able to meet the minumum requirements, which most of us have, this product (PE9) should work out of the box without a hitch !!!

First, I feel that Adobe's listed "minimum requirements" are too low. I have had that discussion with Adobe, but it seems that Adobe's Marketing Department always trumps their engineers.

Now, with that said, there is no way that Adobe, or any software company, can insure that each user has the latest drivers, etc.. That is incumbent on the user. With regards to Audio & Video drivers, it is common for just a simple OS update, or hot-fix, to render those drivers instantly obsolete. That is why nVidia, ATI and Realtek issue drivers with such regularity. What worked fine yesterday, might well be obsolete, and critically, after a simple Windows update.

Also, other programs can interfere with the operations of the Adobe programs. Simple settings in the OS, or in Audio & Audio Hardware (especially the ASIO settings), can impact how things work. There are a lot of places, where settings can have a very negative impact. This ARTICLE will give you some places to check.

Good luck,

Hunt