• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing MS Word into RoboHelp HTML / TOC Creation/ CHM output?

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2010 Nov 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am a newbie to RoboHelp 8 and am trying out the Adobe Technical Communication Suite 2.5, and have a Windows 7 (64 Bit) OS.

At the moment, I have a single 40 page word document (MS Word 2010) that I would like to bring into RoboHelp 8.

With that said, I create a blank project, and then import the document.  But, when I try to generate and view a help file, I am not seeing the table of contents.  I have even done the AUTO TOC and verify that the links correspond to sections and sub-sections etc. - but still no TOC.

In addition, for some reason it brought in each of my figures twice, so that I have two figure 1s, two figure twos and so on.

Finally, it gave me an error message and was complaining about WidgetMax:

"Compilation failed while compiling http:\www.widgetmax.com."

I am not sure what that is about either.

Okay, one more question.  Is there an easy way to break up all the sections/sub-sections into unique topics before or during inport into RoboHTML?  It seems that RH 8 really needs to have multiple topics versus one long topic, containing what was formerly a MS Word document.  What is the best approach to making that happen?

Overall, I am looking for a nice automated system, whereby I can take developer created documents (from protected MS Word templates) and bring them into RoboHelp HTML (version 8).  Hopefully, I will not have to break apart the entire MS Word document first, before bringing it into RH 8.

Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions from a newbie.

-J

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2010 Nov 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

My own guess is that you created a project using one of the supplied templates. Specifically, the Application Help template. This template already has a CHM window defined that contains a link to the WidgetMax.com site. When a link to a web site is defined in a CHM window, the compiler will squawk about it because it cannot resolve the link to a local HTML page. So you may safely ignore the message.

As for importing the Word content, you have some decisions to make. How do you want to edit the content after you get it into RoboHelp?

• After you import you will abandon Word and make any changes to the documentation only using RoboHelp HTML.
  • You will continue to maintain the Word document using Microsoft Word and you will want to update RoboHelp HTML to reflect the changes

Depending on the avenue you wish to take, you will have different options for splitting the Word content into individual topics. Once we know which option you wish to use we can offer more guidance.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp