8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2010 4:24 AM by Norman_Maehler

Imported mpeg with asynchronous audio

Norman_Maehler

Hello together,

i've got a little problem while creating a film for my brother.

I captured some old family videos with my video card and the software i used saved them as mpeg 2, with variable bitrate in video and constant bitrate in audio which is mp2. This video is playing properly in media player classic and vlc.

After importing one of these files i found out that audio and video are asynchronous playing in the preview video.

I looked into the elements help about this issue but there only was the hint to change the file format to avi. They do not tell which kind of avi i should use.

So, not knowing which file format to use i tried a lot with different containers, different video codecs and different audio codecs... I think it was about 20 or 25 different combinations from h263, h264, divx, xvid, flash, wmv7/8/9, mpeg2, DV, theora and so on. I used avi, mpg, mp4, mov, ogg and wmv as containers.

Half of these outputs were alreday asynchonous with the normal video playing software and the other half was asynchronous in PRE 9.

Has anyone got an idea what i could try? Is there a format combination that will work properly? Or can i change something in my source mpg to play properly?

Thanks in advance,

Norman Maehler

• 1. Re: Imported mpeg with asynchronous audio
          Norman_Maehler Level 1

Hello again,

i made a last try and converted the mpeg2 file into mpeg1.

This seems to work, but mpeg1 is not the best choice i think.

I am still looking forward to other possibilities.

• 2. Re: Imported mpeg with asynchronous audio
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You may be adding at least one unnecessary conversion in there, Norman, and that can be causing the out of sync problem.

What kind of camcorder are you shooting the video on? Which version of the program are you using?

Depending on the video format you're shooting and which version of the program you're using, you may be able to use the video directly in the program -- or we may be able to recommend software that will convert the file directly to a DV-AVI, the ideal format for the program to work with.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Imported mpeg with asynchronous audio
              nealeh Level 5

Do you really mean capturing from your video card or is it a TV card? What software are you using to capture?

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Imported mpeg with asynchronous audio
                Norman_Maehler Level 1

Thanks for your fast answers!

I recorded the output signal of my VHS-cassette recorder using a TV Capturing Software which was with my TV-Card (sorry for the wrong wording in the first post). The TV capturing Software is called ArcSoft TotalMedia.

It Captures directly to Mpeg2.

The player is connected via cinch to my TV-Card. I just played the whole cassette and recorded it with the TV-recording-software.

After that i precutted the videos and then i imported them into PRE 9

@ Steve: I already tried DV-AVI and it did not work out for some reason....

Edit: I tried the DV video format and not dv-avi, but PRE could not open the DV file format. I'll try with Avi - DV - mp3 now.

• 5. Re: Imported mpeg with asynchronous audio
                  nealeh Level 5

According to the manual that software can capture either as DV-AVI or MPEG2.The DV-AVI setting ought to load directly into PRE with no need for rendering.

1.png

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Imported mpeg with asynchronous audio
                    Norman_Maehler Level 1

I did not know that it could capture to DV-AVI, but i cannot capture all files again, because its 20 hours of movie and it should be a present for my brother to his birthday which is already over... Besides i have to stay at the player because the video is quite old an broken at some times...

Next time i will try to use the DV-AVI.

But why can PRE import mpeg2 films while it cannot handle them properly? They are not asynchonous, because the can be played perfectly in sync with several media players?!

I converted one mpeg2 file to DV-AVI and imported it into PRE. There now the audio is quite good, but the video is too fast and makes some loops while playing in PRE. My media players are playing the file perfectly again...

By the way: I am using mencoder behind the Super-Gui to reencode my Video-Files if that may help?

Edit: @ nealeh It did not give me the choice for DV-AVI, because i was not recording from DV-Camcorder...

Edit2: Now with Avi container, DV-VIDEO as Video Codec and WAV-(pcm 16 little-endian) as audio codec the file is 5 times larger than before but it works

• 7. Re: Imported mpeg with asynchronous audio
                      nealeh Level 5

Norman_Maehler wrote:

Edit2: Now with Avi container, DV-VIDEO as Video Codec and WAV-(pcm 16 little-endian) as audio codec the file is 5 times larger than before but it works

Good news. And, if that DV-VIDEO is DV-AVI Type 2, then you have found the best format for PRE and it should import without a redline. The same is true for your audio (but you may want to check that it is 48,000Hz rather than 44,100Hz - the former is best for PRE, the latter is the norm for CD's).

Out of interest was it Mencoder that you used to make your conversion?

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale

• 8. Re: Imported mpeg with asynchronous audio
                        Norman_Maehler Level 1

The Container got a DV-AVI type 2 with a separate audio stream. But the sampling frequency i used was only 22050Hz but it works fine.

nealeh wrote:

Out of interest was it Mencoder that you used to make your conversion?

Here i have got to quote myself

Norman_Maehler wrote:

By the way: I am using mencoder behind the Super-Gui to reencode my Video-Files if that may help

Thanks for your help so far!

Does anyone know if and how i can use my original mpeg2 files properly in PRE?