9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2010 4:07 PM by Ted Smith

I read the Windows requirements, but what is recommended?

j.pady Level 1

I'm going to try installing Windows 7 Ultimate (it was a gift) on an older Dell desktop (XPS 9200, Core 2 Duo, 2.13 mhz). Next I'll treat myself to the Elements 9 Bundle. I mainly want PrE to work well. I have two decisions to make: 32 or 64 bit, and 2 or 4 GB of RAM (I'm currently leaning 32 bit + 2 GB). Any advice would be appreciated (like should I even be trying this on an old computer?). I used PrE v2 years ago and I vaguely remember it getting less stable with more than 2 GB RAM.

• 1. Re: I read the Windows requirements, but what is recommended?
          j.pady Level 1

P.S. I know about the 32 bit & 2 GB RAM limits of PrE, and the 3-4 GB limits of 32 bit Windows. I'm just looking for opinions.

• 2. Re: I read the Windows requirements, but what is recommended?
            urpcor

Hi,

Go for 64 bit, then you can use the 4GB Ram or more.

32 bit means only 3,x GB Ram available.

Since Pre9 never can have enough resources of all go for 64 bit.

I myself have 2.5 Ghz core2duo with 4gb and win7 64bit. Its sufficient but I often get to the system limits.

But pre9 is  only a 32bit program, so it wont use more than 3,x GB RAM all though there are 4GB available with 64bit win7. But usually you work in PRe9 alongside with some browser open or some else program. So with some 64 bit Win7 you are on the safe side.

Your Dells 2.13 Ghz might be enough, it depends if you work with HD 720p or higher resolutions the betterr the processor the better the pre9 work feeling.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: I read the Windows requirements, but what is recommended?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I recommend staying with 32-bit Windows 7. The program is a 32-bit program, so you won't be able to take advantage of the 64-bit OS anyway. Also, because not all of the 64-bit drivers are yet compatible with this program, you can run into buggy behavior. (You won't with the 32-bit version.)

But how fast your processor is depends on what kind of video you are editing. If you are editing tape-based miniDV or HDV video, as I say in my books, you can probably get by with a dual-core processor. For editing AVCHD and other hard drive, hi-def formats, you'll be better off with a quad-core or i7 processor with 4 gigs of RAM.

• 4. Re: I read the Windows requirements, but what is recommended?
                j.pady Level 1

Thanks for the feedback, urpcor. I was going to go 64 bit at first (to be ready for the future), but I read 32 bit software might not run as efficiently due to slightly higher memory management "overhead", plus I worried about the drivers that Steve mentioned. I took inventory of what I wanted to install (including PrE 9) and it was all 32 bit. 64 will be mainstream someday (and I'd love a 64 bit video editor), but I guess the future will have to wait for my next computer.

• 5. Re: I read the Windows requirements, but what is recommended?
                  j.pady Level 1

Thanks again Steve. I'm pretty sure I'll go with 32 bit (final decision to be made when the new HDD arrives).

One last follow-up question: Would more than 2 GB RAM benefit PrE 9 in any way on Win 7 32 bit? I can easily upgrade to 3 or 4 GB (4 max). As mentioned, I vaguely remember people suggesting to pull RAM in the old days (I think PrE 2 worked less well with more). ...Or was that a Win XP thing?

(Note: I have no plans to edit HD anything. I'm mainly doing slideshows using video clips from my still cameras).

• 6. Re: I read the Windows requirements, but what is recommended?

I'd go for 4 gigs of RAM. It's the most a 32-bit OS can use -- and there's no point in cutting back to 2 when it's relatively inexpensive.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: I read the Windows requirements, but what is recommended?
                      j.pady Level 1

4 GB it is. ...As long as there are no negative ramifications. Bonus: 10% off at Crucial today! So far this free Windows 7 gift has cost me $80 in upgrades.  Oh, plus Elements 9 :-)  Thanks again!

• 8. Re: I read the Windows requirements, but what is recommended?

Let us know how it turns out, j!

• 9. Re: I read the Windows requirements, but what is recommended?
                          Ted Smith Level 3

I have PE9 paid version running on an Intel core duo 2.4ghz with 2g RAM.

C: is 2 x 150ghz in a raid config for PE( and the .prel stuff

D: is 500 ghz for the movie clips

GForce 7300 video card (average speed)

It seems to take a while to sort itself out when you first load the project but eventually shuttles pretty fast up and down the timeline if you temporarily switch off the first pic feature for clips in the timeline and only turn it on when you really need it.

If you keep the preview screen to 25% magnification except when you need it, this also helps.

Also keep the timeline range shorter makes it faster and only expand it when you need to move a long distance.

On full Hd 1080i it runs about as fast as PE2 did in standard 720 x 512 did on my old Prescot 1mb ram machine.

Will PE9 being a 32 bit program really go better on a quad processor? I thought 4 mb RAM on a quad was effectively the same RAM as 2gb on a dual processor as each processor uses 1 mb?

I would think that if the original poster is only using "slides" he doesnt need to spend any more money on hardware.