5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2010 7:53 AM by kglad

Maintaing arrowhead size

nrowlands Level 1

I am creating lens and mirror ray diagrams for high school physics. First, I can't create a ray with an arrowhead in Flash, as far as I can tell. Second, when I import a ray with an arrowhead from Illustrator the head changes size when I tween the path of the ray from object to image. Is there a way to maintain the size of the arrowhead? Ideally I would also like to be able to place the arrow at any place alog the ray (e.g. half way along) and have it maintain its position as the ray travels along its path. Finally I would like the option to have double arrows for vector diagrams. Are any of these possibilities available without having to create separate objects for each part then synching them?

Any help will be greatfully received.

Neale

• 1. Re: Maintaing arrowhead size
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          First, I can't create a ray with an arrowhead in Flash, as far as I can tell.

create a triangle with polygon tool etc

Second, when I import a ray with an arrowhead from Illustrator the head changes size when I tween the path of the ray from object to image. Is there a way to maintain the size of the arrowhead?

use a scale9grid. (ie, after your arrow is converted to a movieclip, right click it in the library and tick scale9grid etc)

Ideally I would also like to be able to place the arrow at any place alog the ray (e.g. half way along) and have it maintain its position as the ray travels along its path.

i don't understand what you mean by having "..the ray travel along its path..."

Finally I would like the option to have double arrows for vector diagrams. Are any of these possibilities available without having to create separate objects for each part then synching them?

one single-headed arrow and one double-headed arrow in the library is all you need (as far as i can determine).
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Maintaing arrowhead size
            nrowlands Level 1

I've only been able to maintain arrowhead size when I keep the arrowhead and the line representing the ray as separate objects, otherwise the head changes as the length of the 'ray' changes.

When I was talking about the 'ray travelling along its path' I meant that the ray would start at a length of 0 at the object and increase to length x at the image in a tweened animation.

Regarding the single and double arrowheads positioned at a particular fraction of the length of the 'ray' I was hoping there might be some options already set up in Flash that would save me some time.

I'm fairly comfortable with Illustrator and InDesign, but I'm a complete novice at Flash.

Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Maintaing arrowhead size

do you understand scale 9 slicing?  if not, read the flash help files or use google to research.

• 4. Re: Maintaing arrowhead size
                nrowlands Level 1

I didn't have success with scale 9 slicing, and the Google tutorials didn't give enough help. Some suggested that slicing didn't work in avery case, but I'm too new at Flash to know if that applies in my case - or if I'm just doing it wrong!

• 5. Re: Maintaing arrowhead size

there are some problems with nested movieclips and scale-9 slicing but otherwise, it works.

here's a sample:  www.kglad.com/Files/forums/Untitled-3.fla