12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2010 7:58 AM by MelloMellem

Trouble using Dynamic Link

MelloMellem Level 1

I've imported a Premiere Pro CS5 project into AE using Dynamic Link, added titles, effects, etc., then re-imported the AE project back into Premiere so that I can do a sound edit in Sound Booth. But Premiere won't let me place the AE project onto the timeline. Also, when I try to play the video in the Source window it's jerky. Please help.

• 1. Re: Trouble using Dynamic Link
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Importing a project doesn't use Dynamic Link.

Please be very explicit about exactly which commands you're using---the exact sequence of things that you're clicking and choosing---because right now it's not at all clear.

For an overview of the various ways to move things back and forth between After Effects and Premiere Pro, see this page.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Trouble using Dynamic Link
            MelloMellem Level 1

Sorry about the imprecise description and thanks for your response. I used Dynamic Link (DL) to open a Premiere Pro CS5 (PP) project in AE, which presented no problems.

I then did a bunch of editing on the project in AE.

I now want to do a sound edit in SB, timing my sound edits to the effects I used in AE. So here's what I did:

I opened PP and used DL to Import AE Composition. When the Import AE Composition dialogue box opened, I clicked on the AE file. The AE file showed up in the Project Panel. I then double clicked on it to open it in the Source Panel. It plays, but it's really jerky. And when I try to insert it onto the timeline, nothing happens. If I try to drag the file from the Project Panel onto the timeline, I get a circle with a slash thru the centre.

I did read thru the directions on the link you sent (thanks), but I didn't find the answer to my problem.

• 3. Re: Trouble using Dynamic Link
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Sorry folks.  More Jive issues.  Post deleted.

• 4. Re: Trouble using Dynamic Link
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I used Dynamic Link (DL) to open a Premiere Pro CS5 (PP) project in AE, which presented no problems.

Let's break this down, starting with this step. Tell me exactly what you clicked in this step, which menu commands you chose, etc.

Importing a project does not use Dynamic Link. See this page.

• 5. Re: Trouble using Dynamic Link
                  MelloMellem Level 1

Okay.

I first built my project in Premier Pro (PP) this way:

I opened a new project using HDV capture format. I select AVCHD>1080i>AVCHD1080i (60i) from the Sequence Presets dialog box. Under the General Tab the settings are: square pixel, 29.97 fps, with a Display Format of 30 fps drop frame time code. I use the default audio settings all the way thru my process. I then aquire footage from my Sony NX Cam (HXRNX5U) and Canon T2i cameras. Just to be sure I've got the correct settings, I drag one of the Sony Cam files and let it hover over the New Item button in the Project panel. This creates a new sequence called, in this case, Rick 001.MTS that I use to build my project. I delete the first (default) sequence, and save my PP project. I edit my footage and when it's ready for AE, I save it, close the project, and close PP.

I then opened AE and chose New Composition. I chose HDV/HDTV 720, 29.97 fps, square pixels, which became Composition 1.

Next I clicked on DL > Import PP Sequence. In the Import PP Sequence dialog box I located my project and clicked on it. In the Sequence panel on the right, I chose the file that appeared there, Rick001.MTS and then clicked Okay.

My Rick001.MTS sequence appeared in the Project Panel. Because the Rick001.MTS sequence showed a frame rate of 59.94 fps in the Project Panel, I dragged the file to the New Composition button at the bottom of the Project panel and let it hover for a moment. A new composition called Rick001.MTS then appeared in the Project panel and on the timeline. I deleted the first composition (Composition 1), saved my AE project, and began to edit my Rick001.MTS sequence.

When I was done, I resaved my AE project and closed AE.

I next opened PP again and opened a new project and chose AVCHD>1080i>AVCHD1080i (60i).

I clicked on File>Adobe DL>Import AE composition. In the Import AE Composition dialog box Project panel I selected my AE project. Then I selected the AE file in the Composition panel of the dialog box.

The composition does appear in the Project panel, but I'm unable to add the composition to the timeline. If I try to drag it to the timeline I get the circle with the slash thru it. If I double click the composition it opens in the Source panel, but it plays all jerky and nothing happens when I click on the insert or overlay button.

Whew. That was a lot of describing. I hope that helps.

Thanks,

Melanie.

• 6. Re: Trouble using Dynamic Link
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Yes, that helped enormously. Now that I know what you're doing, I can tell what's going wrong.

One thing that you can't do is have a recursive set of dynamic links. You have a Premiere Pro project (project A) and an After Effects project (project B). You can't have A depending on B which itself depends on A.

The way to make use of Dynamic Link is actually much simpler than the contortions that you're going through. If you want to use After Effects to color-correct a clip, then you just use Replace With AFter Effects Composition. Then you do your work in After Effects, and the resuts jsut show up in Premiere Pro.

I'd explain more, but there's someone in my doorway, trying to make me leave with her. More after lunch.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Trouble using Dynamic Link
                      MelloMellem Level 1

Thanks for that. I thought that bit about recursive might be the case. But I didn't really follow your instructions after that. So I'll wait until you get a chance to be more specific (once you have a full belly, of course!).

To be clear, we're using AE for more than color correcting. We're using it to bring stills and other video clips into our project and then apply effects to them, plus adding type with effects applied, etc. And it's those stills, video and and type that we'd like to time sound to. If it was just one or two places we wanted to time our sound with, we could just make a note of the times, but there are numerous places in our project that we wanted to time sound to effects. And to be honest, neither PP or AE seem to be the best place to do sound editing.

We have a Lynda account. Is there a tutorial about this, perhaps? We haven't found one.

• 8. Re: Trouble using Dynamic Link
                        JaysonM-Y Level 3

MelloMellem wrote(and I edited):

AE doesn't seem to be the best place to do sound editing.

I hope you're not just finding that out.

MelloMellem wrote:

If it was just one or two places we wanted to time our sound with, we could just make a note of the times, but there are numerous places in our project that we wanted to time sound to effects.

Another feature I had hit up the requests for is the ability to send markers from the sequence to my AE projects.... just like FCP with Motion.

I don't know if it's been implimented in CS5 but I'm a bit too lazy at the moment.

I'd like to know how PP is not your suitable tool for dropping sfx right under your vfx.

Edit in PP

Send the parts of the sequence you'd like to spiffy up to AE via Replace With AFter Effects Composition

Render timeline if necessary for smooth playback and add sfx to where necessary

• 9. Re: Trouble using Dynamic Link
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Start in your Premiere Pro project.

In the Timeline panel, select a clip that you want to send to After Effects. Choose File > Adobe Dynamic Link > Replace With After Effects Composition. This will cause After Effects to open, with a new composition created that includes the content of the clip that you selected in Premiere Pro.

Do whatever you want to do to the composition in After Effects. For experimentation's sake, just add an effect or something.

Now go back to Premiere Pro. See how the item in your sequence automatically updated to show the change that you amde in After Effects?

There's no need to do what you were doing, with saving and importing and saving and importing. That's not how Dynamic Link works.

I strongly recommend methodically, patiently, and slowly working your way through the section of the documentation on Dynamic Link and the section on working with Premiere Pro and After Effects so that you can learn what each of these features does before you try to use them in practice in a complex project and get tripped up. These features are especially confusing because there are four or five ways to do approximately the same thing, and only by studying them and practicing with them will you learn what they're really for.

• 10. Re: Trouble using Dynamic Link
                            JaysonM-Y Level 3

Todd_Kopriva wrote(and I edited):

Do whatever you want to do to the composition in After Effects and save it.

Now go back to Premiere Pro. See how the item in your sequence automatically updated to show the change that you made in After Effects!

There's no need to do what you were doing, with saving and importing and saving and importing. That's not how Dynamic Link works.

DL is meant to save you that 3-5 extra steps, Mello, not add them.

• 11. Re: Trouble using Dynamic Link
                              MelloMellem Level 1

Many thanks...I'll do as you suggested and read the documentation thoroughly.

Cheers.

• 12. Re: Trouble using Dynamic Link
                                MelloMellem Level 1

Thanks for your feedback, Jayson.