30 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2010 2:16 AM by k1studio

edit mp4

k1studio

hello

to those people that have the mercury play back engine

i wonder if you can edit mp4 without rendering and export it to mpeg2 format

please try this for me and let me know

if it work i would like to buy the card right away

thanks guys

• 1. Re: edit mp4
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          to those people that have the mercury play back engine

That is everybody here. You probably mean only those people with hardware accelerated MPE and exclude all that use software MPE?

MP4 is just a container, so what flavor are you talking about? If you mean AVCHD, yes.

Export to MPEG2 has been available for many versions. Rendering is not necessary for export, only for preview. You still need to encode however.

• 2. Re: edit mp4
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> That is everybody here.

To reinforce what Harm is saying:

"I’ve noticed a lot of people—the vast majority, really—using the term  ‘Mercury’ or ‘Mercury playback engine’ as if it refers specifically to  CUDA processing. Not true. The term ‘Mercury playback engine’ refers to a  whole set of performance improvements in Premiere Pro CS5, including  the port to a 64-bit application, the multi-threaded nature of the  application, and the use of CUDA on the GPU to accelerate some things.  Anyone using Premiere Pro CS5 is getting all but one of these  advantages; people with certified CUDA cards are getting one additional advantage."

(from this article)

• 3. Re: edit mp4
              k1studio Level 1

Iwas hearing about this video card call quadro fx 4800. Does it really work as they said. Here I am working with a lot of mp4 file. I can edit them in the Premire cs5 but I have to render which is time consuming. Before I buy this card I just want to know if you can edit this mp4 file without rendering and export them to mpeg2 format on the fly. Thanks

• 4. Re: edit mp4
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

MP4 is a wrapper... what CODEC is inside that file?

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811?tstart=0

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

• 5. Re: edit mp4
                  k1studio Level 1

Oh ok just to make it clear, I am new to Adobe Premiere CS5. I've been a final cut for years but I was introduce to premiere by a friend and love it. I know you guy probably think why  don't I work with dv format or quick time movie. Well I do a lot of episodes and they eat up your hard drives plus I've been recording them from a dvd player just to get that subtitle. Now I can rip from dvd with subtitle and the only software that do a perfect job is HandBrake. I bought DVDxDVD and ImTOO DVD Ripper Ultimate and they don't even come close to HandBrake. But HandBrake only produce mp4 file and mkv file. I like the mp4 file coz its very good quality and small size. Now it comes to editing mp4 files. Final cut can't even play mp4 file. Adobe Premiere cs5 is the choice not that I can play mp4 files on the timeline and edit them also. Ok thats very good, but I have to encode the sequence to mpeg2 format and here comes the problem. Now I have to render them first and then encode to mpeg2. I was wonder if the Quadro FX 4800 card can save me times. Please anybody that have this card, would you please try to import mp4 to the timeline and encode them to mpeg2 for me. If you can do this without rendering, please let me know and I would appreciate it very much.

• 6. Re: edit mp4
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The graphics card has nothing to do with encoding or decoding. The graphics card will speed up the processing of some effects, scaling, deinterlacing, and blending modes.

• 7. Re: edit mp4
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

See #1. Yes you can do that without rendering, but I'm repeating myself here.

• 8. Re: edit mp4
                        k1studio Level 1

Thanks you very much Todd. I will check it out. One more question.

Does that mean when you put the mp4( mpeg-4 , ffmpeg) on the timeline it's not red?

• 9. Re: edit mp4
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

I've been recording them from a dvd player just to get that subtitle.

That is actually not a legal use of the software.  Unless, of course, you have permission from the copyright owner of the DVD content to be reediting the material.

• 10. Re: edit mp4
                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There's a yellow line above the clip in the sequence that I just created from an .mp4 file.

• 11. Re: edit mp4
                              k1studio Level 1

does that mean you don't have to render for export to mpeg-2

• 12. Re: edit mp4
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

See post #1: Rendering is not necessary for export, only for preview

I wonder how many times that must be repeated before you grasp it.

• 13. Re: edit mp4
                                  JaysonM-Y Level 3

Harm Millaard wrote:

See post #1: Rendering is not necessary for export, only for preview

So If I get what you're saying, Harm. Rendering is not necessary for export but only for previewing?

• 14. Re: edit mp4
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

With CS4 or even before that, when we did not have the luxury of hardware MPE accelerated renders, it was not uncommon to not use rendering at all. We just left all the red lines in our timeline as such. There was no sense to render the timeline, because we did not use it anyway on export. Now in CS5 it is such a small effort and just a few seconds, things may have changed in the sense that more people want to have RT previews, so they render their timeline, but still it has no impact on export.

• 15. Re: edit mp4
                                      JaysonM-Y Level 3

I fell ya. I only really render during work when playback grinds to jigs and jags where I still have to cut on beat etc. And even when it jigs and jags and I have nothing important doing there, I leave it alone. FCP is set to auto render all open sequences 15 minutes of away time so when I go out for lunch or whatever I come back to a good to go timeline. The thing is also that we still go to tape so rendering is that final step.

• 16. Re: edit mp4
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                                        we still go to tape so rendering is that final step.

That is not called Rendering, but encoding or transcoding.

In a number of cases it is important to use the correct terminology, like here. It is incorrect to say: "While sailing my car..." or "While flying my boat..."

One can avoid misunderstandings and miscommunication by using the proper terminology. OTOH, it may well be a shortcoming of the english language:

There is no egg in eggplant nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple. English muffins weren't invented in England nor French fries in France. Sweetmeats are candies while sweetbreads, which aren't sweet, are meat. Quicksand works slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig. Why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham?

If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So one moose, 2 meese? Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend. If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call the thing left? Is it an odd, or an end?

If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught? If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat? In what language do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell? Park in a driveway and drive on a parkway?

How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites? You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out and in which an alarm goes off by going on.

English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity of the human race, which, of course, is not a race at all. That is why, when the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible.

• 17. Re: edit mp4
                                          JaysonM-Y Level 3

LOL my bad, I meant that step before the final step.

• 18. Re: edit mp4
                                            Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Harm Millaard wrote:

OTOH, it may well be a shortcoming of the english language:

I giggle every time you provide such a delightful list of examples of the oddities of language.

• 19. Re: edit mp4
                                              k1studio Level 1

Sorry my language Harm. I meant encoding to mpeg-2. You correct on that.  Ok here is another question. If you you see red on the timeline, does that mean you have to render it before encoding or just encode it any way.

• 20. Re: edit mp4
                                                JaysonM-Y Level 3

Just run it through ME.

• 21. Re: edit mp4
                                                  davidbeisner2010 Level 3

To restate Harm's answer another way... Nyet. You do NOT have to render to encode to MPEG-2.

• 22. Re: edit mp4
                                                    k1studio Level 1

Thanks. I did run it thru and it works good. Only when edit that's when it hard witout the quadro 4800. Well today I am going to buy the card and check it out.

I hope this card is worth it coz it's very expensive. I will let you guys know after this.

• 23. Re: edit mp4