15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2010 8:18 AM by JaysonM-Y

Sound not stopping at the right frame?

mmdmmd

Hi,

I *feel* that for some reason, trying to pause at a specific time in a wave file doesn't leave the marker at the right frame.

Example:

Load a song(I use *wav) into Premiere.

Take a certain point in the song between 2 words, you might want to use  words with a distinct start so it's easier to indentify.
      Keep trying until you can hit pause at the EXACT time the second word starts. (Must be EXACT because the differences is very small)

Now, unpause from that point. You will noticed that it sound like it went back a bit. I've narrowed this down to 2 frames.

You can test this better by pausing just after you hear the second word. Then use the "back arrow" key to go back 1 or2 frames. In theory, you are suppose to hear the sound by going back because you pause "after" it started. But there is nothing. The sound actually starts after your current marker.

The difference is only ~2 frame so it might take a while to get it.

• 1. Re: Sound not stopping at the right frame?
          shooternz Level 6

Expand (zoom) your timeline, vertically and horizontally, and use scrubbing for precise positioning.

• 2. Re: Sound not stopping at the right frame?
            mmdmmd Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

This is not a case of visual problem. I don't understand how does expanding the timeline helps. I can fine tune using the arrow key for precision. But when you doing these type of syncing repetitively, these little problems adds up.

• 3. Re: Sound not stopping at the right frame?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

No one will be watching the final video from the Premiere timeline (and even if they were, they're not likely to be pausing it like that), so the behavior inside the timeline is not critical.

The issue is how does the final export turn out?

If it's fine, then this seems something of a non-issue.

• 4. Re: Sound not stopping at the right frame?
                mmdmmd Level 1

@Jim

The final is the same, ~2 frame difference.

My work requires A LOT of very precise synchronization between the effect and sound. A 2 frame difference is very noticible when there are many sync points. This is quite a big problem for me because I've been doing this kind of  syncing for a very long time and I can hit that ~2 frame window quite easily.

Again, this is not visual problem. It's not a matter of what it looks like or how it appear on the surface. It's because (I think) it's broken. When I hit pause at a certain time, I expect it to pause right there, not going back 2 frames.

FYI, before I am using Premiere Pro 2. It doesn't have this problem

• 5. Re: Sound not stopping at the right frame?
                  JaysonM-Y Level 3

I had this problem a while back, blamed it on a slow system... then even my Mac and FCP started doing it... My projects were just really bloated.

• 6. Re: Sound not stopping at the right frame?
                    mmdmmd Level 1

My system is an i7 950 with 6 gig of DDR3 1600 ram and a clean installation of Windows 7 Enterprise. The project at the moment contains just 1 wav file and serveral photoshop file. Project res is standard NTSC DVD.  I think my pc specs are good enough?

• 7. Re: Sound not stopping at the right frame?
                      shooternz Level 6

Clarify this for me please. 

Are you attempting to hit a frame on the fly.?

• 8. Re: Sound not stopping at the right frame?
                        fincaman2 Level 1

Hello I'm not sure I have understood your problem but could this be a soundcard latency problem, onboard soundcards usually have quite poor latency figures.

I hope this helps

Regards

Kevin

• 9. Re: Sound not stopping at the right frame?
                          mmdmmd Level 1

@shooternz

No, I am not trying to hit a frame on the fly(although I can), I am saying there might be a problem with CS5's pause function when playing a wav file. You stop at a point in the wav, the marker actually lands in 2 frames before where you hit pause, another way to decribe this is "as if the sound is playing 2 frame ahead of where the marker is".

When you pause right after a sound start, press back arrow key then forward arrow key and you are suppose to hear the sound right? Because your pause AFTER you hear it.

But you don't! There is nothing there when you press back arrow key then forward arrow key!

This is only noticible when you are able to pause in the first 2 frames of the sound.

Yes, I can hit that 2 frame regularly because I've been doing this kind of thing for a long time and the sound file has a constant tempo.

One thing I forgot to ask, can anyone else reproduce this problem?

• 10. Re: Sound not stopping at the right frame?
                            mmdmmd Level 1

@fincaman2

Thanks, but this is not a case of laterncy. Infact, the sound is 2 frame ahead.

@all

2 frame might seen unimportant on paper, but in the end product, you can and will notice the gfx and sound is out of sync.

• 11. Re: Sound not stopping at the right frame?
                              mmdmmd Level 1

Another method to reproduce this bug.

Load a wav file into timeline. Hit Space Bar to play, as soon as you hear a sound, hit Space Bar again to stop. You can repeat this indefinetly and will still be on the exact spot on the timeline(look at the frame count). Start/Stop must be done within 2 frame.

edit:

you might think that Pr frame count is not moving because it's playing that 1 single frame. But there are 2 problems

1. You are pressing "play" not "loop", so the marker shouldn't go back after you play.

2. if you try enough times, you can hit a 2 frame play and it will still be on the same count.

• 12. Re: Sound not stopping at the right frame?
                                jimclark1947 Level 1

You said you can repeatedly hit the same spot within 2 frames every time because you have been doing this for a long time.  Since you have been doing this for a long time then it must have worked correctly at some time in the past??  Has this problem ALWAYS been there or did it just start showing up recently?  If it's a new problem then what has changed??   Have you added any new hardware or software to your computer since the last time you know it was working correctly??

I've tried to duplicate what you describe and don't find a problem.  When I stop the playback and restart it picks up exactly where expected.

• 13. Re: Sound not stopping at the right frame?
                                  mmdmmd Level 1

@jimclark1947

I am new to cs5. I've been using Premiere Pro 2 before this. All hardware is new, I builded a new PC for Windows 7. Saying I can hit 2 frames everytime might be a bit exagerating , but 80% is a close figure. This is because music gernerally has a constant tempo which you can count in your head.

Thanks for testing this for me. Can you please verify that even with the very fast play/pause method, your frame count still moves?

• 14. Re: Sound not stopping at the right frame?
                                    mmdmmd Level 1

New information:

I've tested that very fast play/pause method on Premiere Pro 2 installed on the same machine. I can confirm that Premiere Pro 2 does not have this problem. The counter increments everytime when you hear a sound then pause.

• 15. Re: Sound not stopping at the right frame?
                                      JaysonM-Y Level 3

I guess the markers in Premier Pro 2........

Are on the right track.

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH