31 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2011 9:16 AM by creative io

My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.

Glieb

I use simple DV PAL sequence with compatible DV footage, after appying some filters i render, pressing enter (making preview).

Then trying to export, checking "Use previews" and "Match Sequence Settings" aaaannd..... it starts rendering AGAIN. Fantastic!

I found some preview rendered footage in "Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files" folder and tried to export them from this project and they were exported without this stupid rerendering, so i can make the conclusion - preview files are fine, the problem is in chain preview->export.

• 1. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Its best not to use Preview Files in the final export, instead check Use Maximum Render Quality for the best results.

• 2. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
            Glieb Level 1

1. Thank you, but i got consistent question what, in this case, Adobe Premiere CS5 has "Use preview" function for ?

2. You can turn on Max Render Quality in Sequence properties in Preview part, so your previews are going to be perfect from the begging

But, be honest i don't know already what is working in Premiere CS5, and what isn't.

• 3. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

What happens when you uncheck "Match Sequence Settings"?

-Jeff

• 4. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
                Glieb Level 1

no changes, it rerenders again.

after 12 hours of experiments i found some regularity. If you make a project with one sequence and couple of video clips in it, premiere sometimes uses previews during exporting.

but project for at least 5 minutes rerenders always and this blow off my brains two last days...

• 5. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
                  Huntrex Level 2

"Use previews" will use the rendered preview files, saving the need to re-render effects. But the video will still need encoded to the destination format, even when "Match Sequence Settings" is checked. Smart rendering is not available in Premiere Pro.

• 6. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
                    Glieb Level 1

it's weird... in Premiere CS3, which i used for 3 years, you render preview, then export, and the application use in a full way rendered preview footage, so you get ready to use video by minutes, not by hours (i'm talking about long 1 hour projects)

• 7. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
                      Huntrex Level 2

Were you editing SD or HD on CS3? What format?

What are you editing on CS5?

• 8. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
                        Glieb Level 1

All my text is related to DV PAL. CS3 and CS5.

• 9. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
                          Glieb Level 1

So, nobody pays attention to this huge problem ???

Before, AP CS3 used previews and i converted 1 hours color corrected footage from timeline to 3 types (H.264, DV, MPEG-2) by 30 minutes.

Now using super fantastic CUDA mercury 64-bit technology software it rerenders, rerenders and rerenders for HOURS.

I cannot understand, this problem touches only my mind or somebody else cares ???

• 10. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

It could be that few others are experiencing this issue, which is why the lack of response.  As someone whose here most every day, I don't recall anyone but you posting the issue in these forums.  That could indicate it's not a software bug, but that something got smurfed in your installation.

• 11. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
                              Glieb Level 1

I got 3 PC machines. Yesterday for experiment, i used the clean one (i7-950) with only preinstalled x64 Windows 7 Home Premium, downloaded Adobe Premiere CS5 trial from your website (to exclude coincidence) and used Magic Bullet Colorista color correction for 30 minutes footage. I rendered preview, started to export and it rerenders it... I agree that it goes faster than without previous preview render, but much more slower than same footage export without color correction. I just want to have the answer - why there is rerendering during exporting previously rendered footage ? Or it is my unfortune, that 3 PC machine rerenders previews... ?

It slows down the whole workflow very much...

• 12. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

Let me get this straight.

You ran three exports with the trial version.  One with Colorista after rendering.  One with Colorista without rendering.  One without Colorista and without rendering.  You use DV clips for these tests.

Is that correct?

• 13. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
                                  Glieb Level 1

Exactly.

I made this test with DV-PAL and XDCAM EX footage with trial and full version.

The thing which messes me up - when i find rendered color corrected file in adobe premiere preview folder and import it to the timeline it is perfectly rendered and can be exported straight (without any rerendering and without any color bar above) like copying from HDD to HDD.

So the point is Adobe Premiere CS5 ignores rendered previews in some sort of way... Is there some way-out ?

• 14. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

OK.

Report back the times of each of the three trial runs using the DV footage.  Export out back to DV footage, don't go to anything like MPEG or H.264.

• 15. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
                                      shooternz Level 6

Some types of footage and PPRO sequences allow you to select your Preview Playback se

tting. (ie CODEC)

I asume this would be what the timeline renders its preview as .

Should you use  " Use Previews" function...I also assume if you Export out to something different... the Preview (Playback) CODEC will require rendering again.

Then again ... I could be totally wrong.

• 16. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

That's why I suggest using DV footage and exporting back out to DV.  The default render codec for a DV sequence will be DV.

• 17. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
                                          Glieb Level 1

Today's scientific experiment. (should i spend my time on this, spent 700$ for the application) but anyway.

DV PAL project:

2 min "clean" footage export - 10 sec.

2 min colorista corrected footage export without preview - (red bar) - 3:37

2 min colorista corrected footage preview rendering - 3:37

2 min colorista corrected footage export with "use previews" checked (green bar) - 3:37

2 min of preview rendered files from Adobe Premiere Preview Files folder export - 10 sec.

Can anybody finally explain - it is only my problem or it is a problem of Adobe Premiere CS5 and its marvelous Adobe Media Encored within.

Honorable members of Adobe alliance, try the same on your computer with Adobe Premiere CS5 - watch, count and report, please.

And one more thing:

When you make a sequence draging DV PAL clip to the new item icon (as in many tutorial is descibed) you get... sequence with preview file format I-Frame Only MPEG. Is it developers joke ?

Yes, then you can choose Microsoft AVI, but... in codec menu you can't choose PAL... only NTSC, DV (24p Advanced), Microsoft RLE and other old stuff :))

What is that ? Please, try.

• 18. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.

Something is clearly not right because when i drag a dv pal clip into the new item icon i get Microsoft AVI DV PAL as Preview File Format.

Did you update to 5.0.2?

• 19. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
                                              Glieb Level 1

Thanks, Ann Bens.

Yes, i got update 5.0.2...

What can be wrong...

• 20. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.

These avi's where did they come from? A dv-camera?

• 21. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                  it is only my problem

You are the only one on the forums reporting this issue.  If it were a genuine software bug, it seems like others would have reported it by now.  Though I admit I'm a little confused as to why you have the issue on two separate systems.

• 22. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
                                                    Glieb Level 1

Yes, they goes from DV camera (Panasonic DVX100b) camera.

• 23. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
                                                      Glieb Level 1

I'm not going to believe but the problem was in my russian windows localization. I installed my CS5 on friends eng windows system and all bugs just faded out.

• 24. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
                                                        Glieb Level 1

The only bug stayed... is preview rerendering of Redgiant filters...

And I can see with 200% magnification in export menu the difference between source and output windows. It's very tiny difference in noise but it exists...

• 25. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
                                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

Which filters?  Some will add their own 'noise' by the very nature of the filter.

(And I would never have guess a Windows localization to be a cause here.  Well done spotting that.)

• 26. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
                                                            sami.succar

O.K.

Everything that Glieb said is 100% true (couldn't even be more obvious). I don't know why some people just try to ignore the problem instead of just facing it.

Anyway, if anyone faces the problem, here's the work-around:

After checking all your settings (and making sure checking the "use previews" checkbox) just click "Queue" instead of "Export" and let the lovely Adobe Media Encoder do the job.

Now as for why Premiere doesn't do it by itself is still a mystery for me... hoping that Adobe guys figure it out...

Thanks

• 27. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
                                                              Harm Millaard Level 7

If you want the best quality on your exports, you should not check "Use previews". Preview files are exactly that, use for previewing, not for export. The quality hit is not always there, but in 9 out of 10 cases, you will suffer a quality hit. General advise: Never use preview files on export. Only use Meximum Render Quality.

• 28. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
                                                                sami.succar Level 1

I have to disagree with that. The rendered quality is supposed to be the best quality you can get out of a sequence.

If that's not true, why do we have the option to export the sequence to tape then? And from my experience, recording your sequence on a tape is the best output way. And the recording process only uses the rendered files.

Another thing, isn't it true that even when exporting, all editing software start rendering with the default quality before converting that to whatever codec chosen?

• 29. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
                                                                  Anthony_Bourdain

The same problem here, PAL-DV footage + Magic Boolet Looks effect aplied. After render the timeline, I export 1 min. of  footage from CS5 (use previews checked) and then the same project characteristics in CS3 (I have both installed on my system) exported from there. CS5 ignore previews and the export duration time was 2,5 min. CS3 export time = <5 sec. "Use previews" on DV footage must result in the same quality footage like the original, because there is no quality encoding settings on DV. DV use always the same FIXED bitrate on his avi files (25 Mbit/s for video, and 1.5 Mbit/s for audio)

• 30. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
                                                                    Eric Addison User Group Manager

sami.succar wrote:

I have to disagree with that. The rendered quality is supposed to be the best quality you can get out of a sequence.

If that's not true, why do we have the option to export the sequence to tape then? And from my experience, recording your sequence on a tape is the best output way. And the recording process only uses the rendered files.

Another thing, isn't it true that even when exporting, all editing software start rendering with the default quality before converting that to whatever codec chosen?

Harm's right - you shouldn't check "Use Previews" if you want the best quality. The only exception to that rule (as far as I know) is if you check Use Maximum Render Quality in the sequence settings - NOT the same box as the export settings. I know it may seem a bit confusing, but checking one box (the sequence settings one) gives you higher quality render files, and the other (in the media export settings) helps you get better quality downconversions from HD->SD. If you're just exporting SD->SD, as far as I understod, there is no reason to check the MRQ box in the media export settings.

So unless you've got the box checked in the sequence settings, you shouldn't check Use Previews when exporting if you want the highest quality.

In regards to recording, yes - it will need to render out before rolling off to tape, so that's when you want to use the MRQ  turned on in your sequence settings...that way your render files will be the highest quality.

Again, as I've always understod things, that's the way PPro works...

• 31. Re: My CS5 ignores "Use previews" function.
                                                                      creative io

I would just like to say that I too am experiencing the issue of Premiere ignoring my instructions to use preview files during export. This is most frustrating when I am simply trying to create a low-res preview file for client approval and something that Adobe should really have addressed by now. The debate over the quality of preview files is not the issue here, it's the fact that the "Use previews" function in the media exporter is apparently broken.

The only work around I have found is to import the preview file that premiere creates and line that up with the footage on the timeline. This only works for simple projects however and is not a viable solution.