4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2010 10:00 AM by jendehaan

How many motions tweens can you have on a timeline?

Stephanie2004

I'm a college student in Seattle.  We just had our mid-terms in Flash CS5.  One of the really simple questions was "How many motion tweens can you have on a timeline."  Yup.  The answer is one...... or is it?  I had a long discussion with my tutor (who is the greatest tutor in the world) and he wanted to think about it. I said to him that I thought that one motion tween was wrong because you can click on an object in the timeline, make it a motion tween, and double click it and make several motion tweens.  So, essentially, you can have more than one motion tween on a timeline.  Is anyone able to advise me because this is all about grades!

• 1. Re: How many motions tweens can you have on a timeline?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can have quite a few motion tweens on a timeline.  You can even have them happening simultaneously (I don't know of a specific limit), as long as they are all on their own layers.  Though the more you add simultaneously the more they can weigh down the speed of things running.

If you need to prove this to someone, the easiest way is to create it and demonstrate it.  But you may want to check the exact wording of the question... it would not be beyond an examiner to throw a trick question in.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How many motions tweens can you have on a timeline?
            carl schooff Level 3

are you sure it wasn't how many motion tweens can you have on a layer?

• 3. Re: How many motions tweens can you have on a timeline?
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Still, you can have many on the same layer as well, just not at the same time.

• 4. Re: How many motions tweens can you have on a timeline?
                jendehaan Level 4

So I am a primary tester on this feature in Flash (motion and the timeline), and even I don't know the answer to that question. We test huge numbers of tweens for performance, things that come very close to choking Flash or actually do so, but not a technical number of how many are allowed. I'm not sure if there's a limit (regardless of layer and timeline) that is less than the technical limits of the panel. What I mean is there is a 16K limit of frames (although the panel will allow more, publishing will not), and some limit to the layers I think, so there may be a technical answer if you take the total frame and layer limit and divide it by two assuming two frame tweens. But that's kind of ridiculous - I can't see the usefulness of that information at all.

In reality the limit is pretty much "whatever still performs well in a SWF" or "lots".