4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2007 6:52 AM by qnnick

Can FW CS3 be used for graphic for printing?

qnnick
      I am very familiar with FW but I do not like Photoshop, however I have both I preffer to use FW. As I have seen on one presentation new FW CS3 has CMYK pallete so my question is: can FW CS3 be used for preparation of graphic for printing or what are the obstacles? After preparing images in FW I will use InDesign for text or maybe the text in FW is wector and maybe I could use FW including text and not to use INDEsign far small projects? Does anyone has any experience with this subject?
      Regards
      Martin
        • 1. Re: Can FW CS3 be used for graphic for printing?
          ageofem Level 1
          Hmmmm , here's an easy way to do things. I use fireworks for print sometimes , but I always make it a point to do some final changes in photoshop. What scenarios can be considered ? If you make logos, business cards, small print 8 x 10 sizes, or you don't care bout quality or slight difference on pixels when printed, then fireworks can handle it. But make sure to double check it in ps , if the client wants it in cmyk mode, etc.

For example , a client wants a logo for his business. I do the design in fireworks, vectors mostly, change the resolution to 300 dpi , save it as a png file, psd file, and ai file. I do some last minute tweaks in photoshop, a cmyk version or so. If you are planning to export files into photoshop, always remember this, do not use layer modes that are in fireworks and not in ps.
          • 2. Re: Can FW CS3 be used for graphic for printing?
            Level 7
            qnnick wrote:

> I am very familiar with FW but I do not like Photoshop, however I have both I
            > preffer to use FW. As I have seen on one presentation new FW CS3 has CMYK
            > pallete so my question is: can FW CS3 be used for preparation of graphic for
            > printing or what are the obstacles?

Fireworks does not operate or export in CMYK color space. It was
            developed for screen images only, and operates and exports in RGB color
            space. It is not recommended that you use it in preparation of images
            for print. You mentioned that you don't like photoshop. You might like
            Illustrator better.

--
            Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
            --------------------------------------------------------------
            http://www.projectseven.com
            Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
            CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
            http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
            --------------------------------------------------------------
            • 3. Re: Can FW CS3 be used for graphic for printing?
              qnnick Level 1
              Thank you for sharing your experience ... It looks I will have become more familiar with PS,
              "do not use layer modes that are in fireworks and not in ps. "
              Does it goes from PS to FW with problems also? What about all this promotion with integration PS and FW?
              "Fireworks does not operate or export in CMYK color space"
              yes, I noticed that after I downloaded the trial, support for CMY is to less for printing. Btw. I think that Adobe knows all this things that if FW would support CMYK I would not buy PS :), but in this situation I will give them USD100 more.
              • 4. Can FW CS3 be used for graphic for printing?
                qnnick Level 1
                One more time regarding: "Fireworks does not operate or export in CMYK color space", just discovered, go to: Window / Others / Color Palette - there is CMYK !!!, does anyone tested it for printing or how PS keeps those CMYK? What can you say "Linda Rathgeber **Adobe Community Expert - Fireworks** " ?