5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2010 2:56 PM by John Was

Opening a project originally created in Pre2 issues

Love_Green_Turtles Level 1

Hello,

I had started a project in Elements 2 about 6 months ago.    Now, I'm using Elements 9, to opened this project.   When I open this project in Elements 9, what happens is that every image, sound and video appears correctly with all transitions and effects in perfect sequence.  But, nothing (none of the images, sounds and videos) that are in the timeline are showing up in the "organize" pane, or any other pane/window that I can find.

In Elements 2, I had all of my sounds, images, videos nicely organized in folders with appropriate titles.  Where, in Elements 9 can I find all these images, sounds and videos that show up on the timelines but no where else?

thanks everyone.

• 1. Re: Opening a project originally created in Pre2 issues
          nealeh Level 5

Generally it is not recommended to open a project from an earlier version in a newer - odd things can (not always though) happen. Also you shouldn't open a newer version project in an older version.

For your file locations check that you are looking at the Project view of the Organize Tab

1.png

If you are then you can right-click a clip and select Properties. The first line of the properties box is the file location.

If you are in this tab and still not seeing your clips turn off the display options (the three little symbols for Video, Audio, Stills) and turn them back on (just in case it is a glitch).

If none of this works, open the Elements Organizer.

1.png

Find the clip you are seeking and right-click. Select Properties and the Properties Dialog box includes the file location.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Opening a project originally created in Pre2 issues
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

But I also second Neale's recommendation that you NEVER open an older version project with a newer version of the program! (Especially a big leap from version 2 to version 9.)

It' nearly always leads to buggy behavior.

• 3. Re: Opening a project originally created in Pre2 issues
              John Was

I have been using PE3 for some years but thinking about upgrading to PE9.  I have a number of projects I created in PE3.  If it is unwise to open them in PE9 then then does that mean they are no longer usable.  Any way to handle this?

Also, what about mp4 files. I created a project with 2 video clips of mp4, about 20 minutes total video.  Started burning to DVD but some 6 hours later is was only at about 25%.  I finally cancelled the DVD.  It that normal to take that long.  My other projects using avi or other file types seem to burn much faster.

Thanks for any input.

John

• 4. Re: Opening a project originally created in Pre2 issues
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You should not open an earlier version project in a newer version of the program, Gemini.

If you've got other questions, I recommend you start a new topic rather than tagging on to this unresolved discussion -- just so that we're not trying to carry on two conversations at the same time.

• 5. Re: Opening a project originally created in Pre2 issues
                  John Was Level 1

Thank you Steve for your reply and my apologies for getting off the subject.

John