4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2010 7:30 AM by mike_mike_motorbike

Big Renderer - anyone here use this...?

Karel Bata Level 1

BG Renderer is a script that allows you to render your Render Queue items in the background while you can continue working in After Effects. http://aescripts.com/bg-renderer/

Anyone tried this? Worth having..? (And what system you using?)

Like a lot of great widgets, if this is so useful why doesn't it come as part of the main program?

• 1. Re: Big Renderer - anyone here use this...?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Anyone tried this? Worth having..?

Yes. Yes.

> Like a lot of great widgets, if this is so useful why doesn't it come as part of the main program?

Do you actually want us to spend our finite development resources recreating something that you can already get for free (or whatever you want to pay)?

If so, here's the feature-request form.

• 2. Re: Big Renderer - anyone here use this...?
            Karel Bata Level 1

1 - Well my dig was aimed at not just Adobe, but the vast majority of software and OS creators who never cease to surprise/disappoint me by not including some simple improvement in their software that had been successfully trialed as an add-on elsewhere, I could give a list a long as my arm, like for Windows: Captureur, PicaView, Clip Cache, Winzip, and Quickview Plus spring to mind (ever heard of them?) all great little widgets I've used since Win 95, that I would now sorely miss, that have ably demonstrated their worth, and that still fill a gap in the OS functionality.

2- It's a pain when installing/re-installing to have to remember and include/remove all these add-ons that really should be there in the first place.

3 - It's a pain when upgrading to have to check these things will still work without crashing the system

4 - More irritating is that I know of no software creator that offers an easily accessible list of these add-ons to their product. We're somehow meant to find out for ourselves. I mailed out a heads-up about BG Renderer to my editor friends, and none of had heard of it! I've used AE for about 4 years and only just stumbled across it myself.

Here's a suggestion - Why don't you make a nice list of recommended add-ons provided by other folk, put that on your site, and include a link in the installation software..? Or would your marketing people not be too keen on that..?

• 3. Re: Big Renderer - anyone here use this...?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8
              > Here's a suggestion - Why don't you make a nice list of recommended add-ons provided by other folk, put that on your site, and include a link in the installation software..? Or would your marketing people not be too keen on that..?

You mean like maybe including a link to this software at the top of the official page of performance improvement tips? See this page.

There are links to dozens (maybe hundreds) of such utilities in the official After Effects documentation.

Also, if you search for 'background render' using the search field in the upper-right corner of the After Effects application, you'll see this.

• 4. Re: Big Renderer - anyone here use this...?
                mike_mike_motorbike Level 1

I just saw this post yesterday and downloaded BG render to give it a shot.  It works so amazingly well and so easily, I agree with Todd.  What more could Adobe ad to it that isn't wasting their time.  AND, it's free if you're a skin-flint.