4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2010 7:35 AM by bogiesan-gyyClL

Composition stops at beginning of each layer

vtechv

Hello,

I'm new to AE and thought I was a quick learner but am now wondering.

I put together a very simple composition with one text layer, text coming down into the screen diagonally and a reflection on the bottom coming up diagonally to meet it. It was simple and nice. My thought was, if one layer looks good, two or three will provide me interesting opportunity with audio. I duplicated the layer twice, modified it on the timeline so as a layer lands it stops for about half a second, fades out and just as it's almost gone the next layer starts in journey into the scene. The problem is at the beginning of each new layer it stops. It goes from the third layer to the first nicely, but not from the first to the second nor the second to the third. I've looked all over but can't seem to find a reference to this. I've looked at many downloadable projects to see what might be different, but I'm just not seeing what I need to do to keep things moving. I'm certainly open to suggestions.

• 1. Re: Composition stops at beginning of each layer
          bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

vtechv wrote:

The problem is at the beginning of each new layer it stops. It goes from the third layer to the first nicely, but not from the first to the second nor the second to the third. I've looked all over but can't seem to find a reference to this. I've looked at many downloadable projects to see what might be different, but I'm just not seeing what I need to do to keep things moving. I'm certainly open to suggestions.

You'll need to explain what "it" means. Since we're not watching over your shoulder, we don't know if you have rendered this and are watching a move called It or you're calling the playhead It in the timeline.

bogiesan

• 2. Re: Composition stops at beginning of each layer
            vtechv Level 1

Forgive me for not being more clear, I realize my terminology isn't what it should be. Also, I might have fixed it, but I don't know why it didn't work and why it now appears to work

I haven't rendered anything. I'm working on the timeline and watching the results in the composition panel. The only thing happening is the text comes into the scene along with a reflection that comes into the scene to meet the text. They come in from the top left and bottom left corners respectively. Once they meet in the middle of the screen, the text and reflection sit there for half a second then fade out. The whole process takes about two seconds.

When I duplicated the layer, twice, I moved the layer duration bar (I believe that's the correct terminology) so that the beginning or in point of the second layer was just at the end of the first layer. It lasted two seconds and after the second layer duration bar's out point the third layer's duration bar's in point began.

The problem I had was as the current time indicator moved into the next layer it stopped just at the keyframes. If I hit the space bar it progressed through that layer and stopped at the beginning of the next.

The action I took that 'fixed' the situation was to move the keyframes at the beginning of each layer. After I intentionally moved them once, I could place them anywhere, before or after the in point for that layer, and it all works fine.

Does this ring a bell with anyone as something I did wrong in duplicating the layers (command D), then sliding the layer duration bar that might cause playback to stop at the beginning of each layer?

Thank you in advance,

V

• 3. Re: Composition stops at beginning of each layer
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

That doesn't sound like anything that I've seen before. If it happens again, it would be helpful if you could post a movie (screen capture) showing the strange behavior. Than we could have more luck telling you what's going on---or troubleshooting with you.

• 4. Re: Composition stops at beginning of each layer
                bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

vtechv wrote:

Forgive me for not being more clear, I realize my terminology isn't what it should be. Also, I might have fixed it, but I don't know why it didn't work and why it now appears to work

Not a problem, everyone is new to After Effects at some point. But, as you can see just by working through even the simplest projects, describing what you're seeing is almost impossible.

vtechv wrote:

Does this ring a bell with anyone as something I did wrong in duplicating the layers (command D), then sliding the layer duration bar that might cause playback to stop at the beginning of each layer?

Unfortunately, no. Never seen anything like you have tried to describe in more than a decade. But you've also discovered it's easier to experiment on your local machine, trying stuff, even weird stuff, before posting.

bogiesan