16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2010 9:32 AM by the_wine_snob

Problem with importing still images

Rfcorder

When I import images for creating a time-lapse video, some of the images are automatically being rotated +90 degrees.  If I go through an manually correct them, they end up not be in the correct position or the correct scale (even though scale says 100 for all of them).

How do I prevent the autmatic rotating of still images?

Thanks,

Ricky

• 1. Re: Problem with importing still images
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you resized all of your photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size, per the FAQs to the right of this forum?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431851?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Problem with importing still images
            Rfcorder Level 1

I spent hours digging through forums, FAQs, and help files. I'll try that. Thank you.

• 3. Re: Problem with importing still images

For what it's worth, all of this and much more is in my books! And they're much easier to read than hundreds of FAQs and KB articles!

• 4. Re: Problem with importing still images
                Rfcorder Level 1

Thanks for the link.  Browsing there as well.  Resized all images to

1000 pixels wide and I'm getting the same issue when importing.

• 5. Re: Problem with importing still images

I've never seen that happen. Sorry. I have no idea why it would.

• 6. Re: Problem with importing still images
                    nealeh Level 5

What viewer are you using that's showing the pictures not rotated? And what did you use to convert your image sizes?

I ask because some image software tries to be clever and automatically rotates an image for viewing, but otherwise leaves the photo untouched in its original orientation. . If you have Photoshop Elements as well, that should show the true image.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: Problem with importing still images
                      Rfcorder Level 1

I use Irfanview for viewing as well as simple changes to images (resizing, reducing colors, cropping, etc). 

The images were all taken with the same camera at the same orientation as a series of time lapse images.

All the images are in the correct orientation until I add them as media to premiere elements. I'll see if it's always the same images and I'll rotate those files to incorrect orientation and then to correct and save.

~Ricky

• 8. Re: Problem with importing still images
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Though I have IrfanView, I have to admit that I do not use it that often, instead relying on Photoshop. However, with regard to Rotation, many have used Adobe Bridge, and if they do not do a Save of the Rotated image, it will Import with the old Rotation. The viewing of the Rotation is handled by a metadata file, and does NOT appear in the image file, until one has done the Save. Then, the Rotated pixels are actually recorded. Before that, it's just a set of instructions on how to view the file. Might be similar taking place in your case.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Problem with importing still images
                          Rfcorder Level 1

I opened the images, rotated, and saved.  Rotated back and saved.

Same thing on importing.  Very frustrating.  Is there a setting

somewhere to tell APE to not transform any files on import?

I do not have Adobe Bridge.  It seems to happen to the same files each

time, but I can't figure it out.  maybe I'll see which way they are

being rotated and import them "wrong" so it will fix them and they

will be correct lol

• 10. Re: Problem with importing still images
                            Rfcorder Level 1

Just used >File>Get properties for...>file, and discovered that the

dimensions are reversed.  Rather than 1000 x 664, it is 664 x 1000.

In Irfanview however, the image is shown with the correct width 1000 x

664.  Something is causing it to be read with dimensions reversed.

• 11. Re: Problem with importing still images
                              nealeh Level 5

Check its properties in Windows Explorer. If that shows it as 664x1000 then PRE is importing correctly and IrfanView is 'auto-correcting'.

If you have Photoshop Elements use it to rotate the image to 1000x664.

Re your reply 4 I see you have already resized the images once to bring them down to the recommended 1000 pixels - I'm guessing that the original was a portrait image. If you can, go to the original picture file and resize it in Photoshop Elements (or your preferred editing program)

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale
                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 12. Re: Problem with importing still images
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                Check its properties in Windows Explorer. If that shows it as 664x1000 then PRE is importing correctly and IrfanView is 'auto-correcting'.

I seem to recall that IrfanView does "non-destructive" Rotation, unlike PS/PSE, where the actual pixels are rearranged, and are exported in that condition, with Save/Save_As. Might be something in the IrfanView Rotation scheme? Just a guess on my part, too, but I would anticipate that the Rotation in IrfanView is getting in the way, as other programs do not see the full effect of that scheme.

Not sure what "image viewers" are installed with Windows, but I would Open one of those problem files in, say Windows Paint, or Windows FAX Image Viewer, or something else than IrfanView to test.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Problem with importing still images
                                  Rfcorder Level 1

Thank you. This really has me baffled. I tried paint and a Nikon viewer. Both show the properties correctly for those trouble images.  I've given up on fixing. Going to just edit within premiere elements....which sucks for this many still images.

I'm able to select many images in premiere elements and batch rotate, but I'm having to change the scale of each individually. Is there a way to change the scale of multiple images in premiere elements? 

~Ricky

• 14. Re: Problem with importing still images
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Ricky,

Is the Scale the same for all of these stills?

For applying the same Effects (Motion>Rotation & Motion>Scale in this case), one would apply the necessary attributes to both of the fixed Effects (Edit Effects) in one image. Then, Rt-click on that Clip/image and choose Copy. Next, Select all other Clips/images, and Rt-click, choosing Paste Attributes - done! If necessary, you can tweak those settings.

For Scale, you can also check Scale to Frame Size (or similar syntax), and then do the Rotation Effect, as per above. Personally, I always choose to do my Scaling in the Effects Control Panel (Edit Effects), but that is just my workflow.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Problem with importing still images
                                      Rfcorder Level 1

Thanks Hunt!! The scale is the same for all. That's fantastic. I really hate help files and manuals; the information is in there, but not always easily found.

Thanks again!

~Ricky

• 16. Re: Problem with importing still images
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Ricky,

I feel the same way about Help Files, but do love a well-written manual.

Now, Steve Grisetti has done several great books on PrE (and PSE), and because they step the user through working with the programs, and not just restating the Help Files, I find them very useful. They are a bit more akin to the Adobe Classroom in a Book series, but without the included Assets. Still, his books cover most possible functions, in real-world settings. If you have not explored those, drop by Muvipix, and have a look.

Good luck, and let us know how the Copy & Paste Attributes works for you.

Hunt