5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2010 6:19 AM by Bill Gehrke

Is RAM speed that important to system performance in Premiere Pro (CS5)?

MSinNZ

I was wondering whether anyone has compared different speed DDR3 RAM to see if it makes much difference to performance in CS5 PPro?

You pay a lot more for higher spec RAM (both latency and clock speed) but is it worth it in terms of performance gains?

Harm Millard has an awesome test scores site but that kind of info is not available there.

I'm purchasing components to build a new NLE system on a medium limited budget so wanting to spend my $ wisely to get the most bang for buck.

Any help appreciated.

Mike S

• 1. Re: Is RAM speed that important to system performance in Premiere Pro (CS5)?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Mike,

Timing differences between various memory sticks do appear to have a marginal impact. For instance 8-8-8-20 or 9-9-9-27 does not really make a dent in your performance. What does make a difference is whether you run the memory as DDR3-1066, DDR3-1333 or DDR3-1600. Of course the higher the memory speed used, the more the CL will impact the performance. But the overriding impact on performance for an editing rig with CS5 is the amount of memory.

I would rather have 6 x 4 GB DDR3-1333 9-9-9-27 than 6 x 2 GB DDR3-2000 8-8-8-20.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is RAM speed that important to system performance in Premiere Pro (CS5)?
            Scott Chichelli Level 3

+1

i would add that IF overclocking the better rated ram is almost a requirement

Scott

ADK

1 person found this helpful
            • 4. Re: Is RAM speed that important to system performance in Premiere Pro (CS5)?
              mrwinstonwolf Level 1

Hi, I'm building a system that will be used primarily for the CS5 Master Collection. I've settled on an:

Asus P6X58D-E,

with an:

Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz.

Next decision is obviously RAM, so I was going for:

OCZ 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Gold Memory Kit 1.65V

and then I saw:

OZC 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz Gold Memory Kit 1.50V

Now bearing in mind the difference in price (£300/200), I would probably be able to double up and buy two sets of the lower speed. Is this a false economy? Do I lose more than I gain? I will be using mainly Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, Flash and Illustrator. Overclocking is an option and I will be endeavouring to tune up the system as much as I can, based on advice in this and other forums. Thanks.

• 5. Re: Is RAM speed that important to system performance in Premiere Pro (CS5)?
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It is a tricky question.  But my general answer would be a full 24 GB setup .  We have found that there is a major increase in specifically MPEG encoding speed as you go from 12 GB to more than 12 GB.  It appears to be a step function.  In a few cases (3 or 4 out of the current 130+ scores) some how these few reached the higher level encoding performance without going over 12 GB.  In the rest of the results we have seen it requires more than 12 GB to get the last major performance improvement with the PPBM5 benchmark.  Tests have shown that it really does not require the full 24 GB but then you are treading dangerously with setups that are not recommended by the motherboard manufacturers.  I personally have run at 14 GB for benchmarking as has Studio North to achieve great results.  But then for real editing I have reinstalled the rest of the memory especially since you probably will be multitasking in real editing which you are not doing in benchmarking..