21 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2010 8:03 AM by the_wine_snob

MOD files imports in the wrong aspect ratio

Zippy II

I've been on the site several times mostly trying to solve crashes with mixed results.  My current problem is that Premier Elements 8 isn't importing video correctly from my new camera.  I have a JVC GZ-MG750BU which stores video as .MOD files.  MOD is listed as one of the files types that Premier Elements 8 can read.  It does import the files but they are not displayed in the correct 16x9 format.  I do have the Project Settings set to 16x9 but all the imported clips are squished 4x3.  I can convert the .MOD file to .m4v using the software included with the camera.  These will play in the correct aspect ratio but that strips the META data off the files so it a pain to organize them.  The raw .MOD plays correctly on Window Media Player.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks,

Peter

• 1. Re: MOD files imports in the wrong aspect ratio
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you created your Premiere Elements project, did you ensure that the JVC-GZ settings were selected?

• 2. Re: MOD files imports in the wrong aspect ratio
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Zippy II

This is an old story that exists even in Premiere Elements 9.

We have gone over and over this issue in depth at another forum that I frequent. And, if you want I will prove links about the matter.

But here is the story. Those MOD Widescreen files have an aspect ratio issue when imported into Premiere Elements (including Premiere Elements 9) and many other video editors. My feeling on the matter is:

a. the header of the MOD Widescreen File has been incorrectly written so that many of the video editors do not recognize it

or

b. the header of the MOD Widescreen File does not have the information written there in the first place....you will see reports here and there that the file information does not reside in the .mod file itself, but in a companion .moi file....

So the missing or not recognized 16:9 flag of the MOD Widescreen needs to be put in. This is classically done using the utility SD Copy which will change the .mod file extension to .mpg (often needed for MOD standard as well as MOD widescreen) AND apply the 16:9 flag.

Solution:

Go to the following web site

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7594_102-339781.html

Scroll down to post 17 of 43 (zyvid.com)

And click on the link in that post. It will bring up a download dialog for SDCopyV1.99985beta.zip. Save File.

After using SD Copy, import your .mpg widescreen into Premiere Elements with a DV Widescreen project preset.

Please let us know how that worked out.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: MOD files imports in the wrong aspect ratio
              Zippy II Level 1

A.T.

I won't have time to try this until later tonight but I'll let you know how

it goes.

Thanks for all your help.

Peter

• 4. Re: MOD files imports in the wrong aspect ratio
                Zippy II Level 1

The conversion program works great.  Thanks again for the help.

Peter

• 5. Re: MOD files imports in the wrong aspect ratio

Great solution, Tony!

But, again, Adobe specifically addressed this very issue, beginning in version 8, by creating a project preset especially for working with JVC GZ camcorders. If you've selected this preset when you created your project, the video should work fine.

But if you did set your project to this preset and you still are having problems, Adobe should be made aware.

• 6. Re: MOD files imports in the wrong aspect ratio
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

The Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 OR Premiere Elements 9 "special preset" does not have any impact on this classic Premiere Elements MOD Widescreen issue.

You say the fix is to use the special preset in these versions to get the result of the imported MOD Widescreen displaying as Widescreen in the program's Edit Mode Monitor. Does not do it. And, even Interpret Footage does not help it "all the way". And, I assume that the special preset to which you refer is:

NTSC or PAL, Hard Disk Flash Memory Camcorders Widescreen whose description includes reference to JVC Everio.

I have looked a MOD Widescreen sent to me by users with this issue and have tested this myself and have gotten the same results that they did, namely, the MOD Widescreen with the DV Widescreen or Hard Drive Flash Memory Camcorder Widescreen does not display as a widescreen video in the Edit Mode Monitor of the project.

If you tell me that you have tested MOD Widescreen and have gotten it to display properly in your Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 and Premiere Elements 9, I would appreciate it if you could send me a small file that works for you so that I determine if it works for me also.

And, I would ask anyone reading this thread and our conversation to contribute here if he or she has gotten that "special preset" to resolve the MOD Widescreen display issue in Premiere Elements (any version).

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: MOD files imports in the wrong aspect ratio
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Since my previous post in this thread, I have done some further checking into this "special preset" to which you referred for solving the aspect ratio issues of MOD Widescreen and Premiere Elements Widescreen project.

This "special preset" to which you refer appears to be NTSC or PAL Hard DIsk Flash Memory Camcorders Widescreen. True, JVC Everio is mentioned as "use for" in the project preset description...so is Sony HDR and DCR. But, the big but is, the "use for" is prefaced by ...hard disk based Camcorders like JVC Everio, Sony HDR, and DCR. So, I would suggest that suggests that JVC Everio is named in that preset description because it is a hard disk based camcorder (field related issues) and not because that preset will correct aspect ratio issues with the use of MOD Widescreen in a Premiere Elements Widescreen project.

If my findings and those of many others as well as my conclusions are correct, then it will do no good contacting Adobe Technical Service about this matter...better the Adobe Development Team for a suggested feature for the next version.

If you have been there, done that, and these findings conflict with what I have written, then it would be very helpful for all if you could forward one of your MOD Widescreen files that works for you as you defined so that I can determine if it works for me...could there be a difference among the MOD Widescreen from different manufacturers?

ATR

• 8. Re: MOD files imports in the wrong aspect ratio

Nope. You may well be right, Tony. I just trusted Adobe that a project preset labeled as for the JVC GZ camcorders would actually work with the JVC GZ camcorders. Oh well.

For what it's worth, JVC contacted me a few months ago to assure me that the problems editing these MODs file have been resolved on their newer camcorders. So it could be our original poster was using an older camcorder.

But I'm just guessing at this point, based on what I've read. I don't own an Everio and haven't done any field research with the files.

• 9. Re: MOD files imports in the wrong aspect ratio
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Thanks for the follow up.

My major guess is that this MOD Widescreen issue went to the way JVC was writing the header of the MOD Widescreen file rather than issues related to whether or not a moi file traveled with the MOD Widescreen file. There is more to the story, but I will leave it at that. I will be watching to see if JVC took any corrective action on its side to resolve this situation..

ATR

• 10. Re: MOD files imports in the wrong aspect ratio
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

With most issues, where flags are ignored, or not recognized, I have found that Interpret Footage will usually force the NLE to see things correctly. There might well be times, where it will still not work, but is simple and easy to use, and normally "fixes" things in the Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: MOD files imports in the wrong aspect ratio
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

The generalization about the Interpret Footage feature does not apply here. Interpret Footage just does not do the job for the MOD Widescreen issue.

The big question remains as to whether the 16:9 flag is not being recognized because it is not written into the MOD Widescreen properly or whether it is there at all. There has been some confusion about the involvement of the companion .moi file carrying file information. If I understand correctly the reports that I seen, then there are those who believe that the .moi information has nothing to do with the MOD Widescreen outside the camera so therefore is not a candidate for the 16:9 flag needed in Premiere Elements and other video editor to deal with the aspect ratio. It would be great for JVC to clear up the matter.

If you get a chance, it might be worthwhile for you to take a look a MOD Widescreen in a Premiere Elements DV Widescreen project (with and without Interpret Footage). This can be done with your Premiere Elements 4.0 as well as with the later versions. You should get the same result with the versions.

ATR

• 12. Re: MOD files imports in the wrong aspect ratio
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Thank you for the info. Do you happen to have a link to a test MOD file, and I will be glad to try it in PrE 4.0, and also PrPro, to see if I can gather some data on what the problem is?

I'd love to hear some comments from JVC on this (Chris at JVC has been very good at this in past threads), to find out what the issue is, or what an easy workaround is.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 13. Re: MOD files imports in the wrong aspect ratio
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

If need be, check out the multitude of online links on this matter. Online is loaded with them.

That is great that you have a contact (Chris) at JVC.

Why not ask Chris for a sample MOD Widescreen file? Right now the quickest and easiest workaround is the use of SD Copy to convert the MOD Widescreen to .mpg and provide the 16:9 flag for the aspect ratio issue.

Better yet, can you ask Chris to make a statement/explanation on this long controversial matter within this forum? Very curious to know where this issue goes to

a. MOD Widescreen header written incorrectly

or

b. Loss of the 16:9 flag somewhere along the line from camera to computer

I could go on and on about gspot read outs for this situation, but Chris could put the matter to rest in an instant.

ATR

• 14. Re: MOD files imports in the wrong aspect ratio
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Just got this response from JVC engineering:

Recorded aspect ratio information is stored in the .MOI (management) file, not the .MOD file.  Therefore, aspect ratio compatibility issues are due to the program’s inability to read the .MOI file along with the .MOD file.

This is not an error on Adobe's part.  It is just the reality of the matter.

I tried a widescreen file in PE8 and it read it as 4:3.  Of course, you can correct this by accessing the clip properties, going to motion>scaling, unchecking uniform scaling, and adjusting the width to around 133, but I get how that becomes tedious for people with a lot of video.

Interestingly I tried the same clip in Pinnacle Studio and it does read the widescreen clip as widescreen, and it reads the 4x3 clip of my dog Rudy as 4x3.  I am not sure how Pinnacle detects this and why Adobe doesn't.

I would like to defer to your best judgement as to how to communicate this on the forum, and maybe you even have an idea of someone at Adobe who might be able to do something with this info.

I had asked for a MOD test file, in Widescreen, to test, and they saved me the process. [Good because I leave on two long trips, and am running short of time.]

Hope that the above info is helpful to others and good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: MOD files imports in the wrong aspect ratio
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Thank you for trying to shed some light on the matter of Premiere Elements and aspect ratio issues related to use of MOD Widescreen video.

Considering the source that you quote, namely JVC Engineering, in reality, the response leaves much to be desired.

a. It acknowledges the problem and insists that issue is in the video editor's inability to read a moi file that is supposed to contain the aspect ratio information needed for the MOD Widescreen file...the old companion file concept. And, the JVC person suggests a scaling workaround in Premiere Elements to remedy the situation. Great, but....

Since JVC is the source and if we accept "it is what it is", then the following JVC comment blows the above out of the water

"Interestingly I tried the same clip in Pinnacle Studio and it does  read the widescreen clip as widescreen, and it reads the 4x3 clip of my  dog Rudy as 4x3.  I am not sure how Pinnacle detects this and why Adobe  doesn't."

There are many "ideas" that have been written on this topic

a. The MOD Widescreen header is written incorrectly

b. The MOI File (Information File) is for the in camera display and has nothing to do with this aspect ratio involving the MOD Widescreen and Premiere Elements.

c. Other

I will try to get some users involved here who are on the forefront of this issue.

Your time and interest in this matter are very much appreciated.

ATR

• 16. Re: MOD files imports in the wrong aspect ratio
                                        Stubchain

I have been having a problem with the MOD files for some time and have posted on this issue on other forums.

Windows 7 now sees the MOD files in the correct aspect ratio natively as does Windows Media Player 12 and VLC Player.   Windows XP and WMP 11 do not.

From this I can only deduce that Microsoft has figured out the issue of the MOD files.  The MOI files are irrelevant as I have copied just the MOD files with and without the MOI’s with exactly the same results.   Using the unaltered MOD files in Adobe Premiere Elements 8.1 displays them in 4.3 as stated.

If I use SD Copy with the MOD files, both Windows 7 and WMP 12 views the converted MPG files as extra wide widescreen and elongated, however Premiere Elements sees them in the correct widescreen ratio.  Now this is very weird.

I’m no computer programmer but this would indicate to me that if Microsoft can figure out the problem then so should Adobe.  All of the header information must be in the MOD files, how else can Windows 7 read it correctly.

I have run Interpret Footage in Premiere Elements with the MOD files without any problems, so for me there is not an issue anymore.   It would be nice to have this problem sorted from a consumer point of view.

Stubs

• 17. Re: MOD files imports in the wrong aspect ratio
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I would suggest filing a Feature Request with Adobe. If enough JVC users do that, then Adobe will be likely to address the issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: MOD files imports in the wrong aspect ratio
                                            Stubchain Level 1

I think there has been enough discussion on the web for Adobe to be fully aware of the issue.  It does not just effect JVC, other cameras like Panasonic also use this format.  I actually think it is something they know about but for some reason, maybe IP related they refuse to do anything about it.  It is not as though it only happened last week.

If a third party (SD Copy) has to write a software programme for Premiere Elements to read a format that is pretty widely used (JVC and Panasonic are not unpopular brands after all) then something is seriously wrong somewhere.

As I said in my post, Microsoft have obviously identified the problem, no one can tell me that Adobe is unaware of it.

• 19. Re: MOD files imports in the wrong aspect ratio
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

We would first have to assume that Adobe reads this forum. Why do you hesitate to file a Feature Request? That WILL get Adobe's attention. The action might not show up immediately, but they take those seriously.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: MOD files imports in the wrong aspect ratio
                                                Stubchain Level 1

To be honest Bill I'm over it now.  I use the interpret footage option and that works OK.  I have now been spoilt, my friend has a Sony HD camera that we have filmed our latest DVD on, and I'm now going to get one myself (for Xmas) after seeing the results.  So the old MOD files are a thing of the past.  The MTS files work very well with Premiere Elements.

• 21. Re: MOD files imports in the wrong aspect ratio
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you now have a workflow that performs well for you. Enjoy that new camera!

Good luck,

Hunt