6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2010 5:31 AM by Colin Brougham

Canon HF S21 Set-up

Ty Holland

We use the out of the box settings for the Canon HF S21 (60i Auto). The final output shows interlace artifacts (combing). Does anyone on the forum have a good recommended set-up for the Canon HF S21 to help with the combing issue? Our main output is Adobe Flash Video and MPEG. The combing artifacts are see with both Premier Pro CS5 and Premier Elements 9.

• 1. Re: Canon HF S21 Set-up
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Did you check the quality on an external, properly calibrated and interlaced monitor or TV? You can't use the program monitor for judging quality, especially since you are viewing interlaced material on a progressive monitor, that is only meant for previewing. If the final result plays fine on a TV or monitor, don't worry.

• 2. Re: Canon HF S21 Set-up
            Ty Holland Level 1

Good Morning,

Thank you for the reply. The interlace artifacts (combing) are visible on both the TV and computer displays with all exports. The issue to more of a problem with web viewing. Here are two examples that really show the problem when viewed in full screen:

http://www.svherald.com/content/2010/11/06/6th-annual-veterans-day-5k

http://www.svherald.com/content/2010/10/31/3rd-annual-sierra-vista-firefighters-charity-bi athlon

Thank you,

Ty

• 3. Re: Canon HF S21 Set-up
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Sequence settings?

Export settings?

-Jeff

• 4. Re: Canon HF S21 Set-up
                Ty Holland Level 1

Sorry we are new to Premiere Pro.

The following settings produce the same results:

Sequence settings: AVCHD 1080i 30 5.1 Channel or HDV 1080i 30 or HD 1080i 30 (60i)

Export settings FLV-WEB Medium, NTSC Source or MPEG HD 720p 30

• 5. Re: Canon HF S21 Set-up
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

FLV is meant for web display, so one should use progressive, not interlaced. Accept the fact that you are throwing away half your vertical resolution by deinterlacing.

I wonder how you managed to display FLV on an interlaced TV?

• 6. Re: Canon HF S21 Set-up
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Judging by the examples above, you have a media properties/sequence settings mismatch. That kind of combing usually results when:

• progressive material is used in an interlaced sequence and exported to a progressive format
                    • interlaced material is used in a progressive sequence and exported to an interlaced format

You effectively get a "doubling" of the interlacing or deinterlacing, depending on the scenario you're in, and the results are never good.

Double-check your material; something tells me that, if your sequence settings actually are as you posted (interlaced), then the footage is progressive. You can right-click a clip and select Properties, or go to Modify > Interpret Footage and check out the field order there. Also, check your export settings; you might have the Field Order set to Upper/Lower Field First instead of None (Progressive).

A simple way to set up a sequence is to drag one of your clips from the Project Panel to the New Item icon at the bottom of the Project Panel (looks like the sheet of paper with the dog-ear); this will automatically create a new sequence with the parameters set that best match your footage. You can check out the Sequence Settings for that particular sequence, then, to verify what the field order actually is, and then use that information to create/use the correct sequence preset in the future.