2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2010 6:39 AM by mnrenier RSS

Video clips won't play back after capture

I am a long-time user of Premiere Elements, currently using version 9.0. I am capturing video clips from the same videocamera that I've used in previous versions of PE. My video clips won't play back after I capture them. The clip is in my "media" area, but when I try to play it back, the audio plays but the picture remains frozen on the starting image. What is happening?

• 1. Re: Video clips won't play back after capture
          Steve Grisetti MVP

What type of camcorder is it? MiniDV? HDV? Are you capturing over a FireWire connection?

What operating system are you using? What are your system specs? How fast is your processor, how much RAM do you have and how much free, defragmented space is on your hard drive?

When you add your video to the timeline, is there a red line above it?

Is there a red line above any video on your timeline?

• 2. Re: Video clips won't play back after capture
            mnrenier Community Member

It is a Sony Handycam DCR-HC28, mini DV, using a firewire connection.

Operating System is Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 3, system specs are SATA 2 RAID 1 with dual 1 TB hard drives. 4 GB RAM. As far as how fast my processor is, I looked on my invoice and it says, "Intel Core2 processor Q6600 (2.4 Ghz, 1066 FSB) with Quad Core technology and 8 MB cache, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800 MHz.

I defragmented my hard drive before beginning and have 779 GB or 83 percent free space on hard drive.

I have not placed my video clips on the timeline yet so don't know if there is a red line on top, indicating it hasn't been rendered. I merely wanted to play back my clip to set "in" and "out" points. This has never happened before in my long history of using Premiere Elements. Would prefer not to have to go back to PE 8, as that was a disaster.