25 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2011 8:51 AM by visuary

Can't do ram preview, but why?

Schugaland

Hello,

I've been asking this question allready in several forums. I got a problem with ram preview in After Effects.

My PC system:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
      Mainboard/Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3

Graphic Card: Gainward GTX 460 GS 2048MB GDDR5
      HDD: WD 500MB
      Ram: 12GB SO-DIMM DDR3 A-Data Value 1333 CL9
      Windows 7

After Effects CS5

Now when I want to do a ram preview it gives me only about 1,5 seconds, then it stops rendering. Enabling the multicore function will lead to an error message: "Not enough ram installed". When I click on "Details" in pre-settings window in AE, it tells me:

Installed ram: 12GB
      Current Ram usage: 0,31 GB
      Permissible Ram usage: 0,4 GB
      Max. usable memory: 12 GB
      Max. allowed memory: 0,4 GB
      Minimum required memory: 0,4 GB

Isn't this weird? It seems like AE is not checking that there is 12 GB installed.

PS: In the settings I have set "Ram reserved to other applications" to 1 and "Ram available for AE" to 11.

• 1. Re: Can't do ram preview, but why?
          mike_mike_motorbike Level 1

have you tried allowing more ram for other apps?  I'm on a mac, so i don't know, but you get much better performance when you up the amount of RAM for other applications.  If you search on that in here you'll find a great link by Todd K about what your memory settings should be.  It's helped me get stable renders consistently.

• 2. Re: Can't do ram preview, but why?
            Schugaland Level 1

Hi,

thanx for your help. Ive allready tried allowing more ram to other apps. Nothing changed. I think I have seen the link by Todd K. Somebody has the same problem as me, but he seems not to have solved his problem.

• 3. Re: Can't do ram preview, but why?

Is your preview area covering the area you'd like to see?

have you searched on Creative Cow?

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/948502

• 4. Re: Can't do ram preview, but why?
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Reset your preferences and then try again. There are instructions for resetting (restoring) preferences here.

• 5. Re: Can't do ram preview, but why?
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

>  In the settings I have set "Ram reserved to other applications" to 1

That is a terribly low setting. See this page.

• 6. Re: Can't do ram preview, but why?
                    Schugaland Level 1

Changing the reserved ram for other applications to for example 6 GB will have no effect at all. Same thing when I change the multicore function to 2 cores with each one 2 GB it tells me "Not enough ram, multicore use deactivated".

Someone told me, it might be an issue with my processor since it is an AMD processor and only INTEL processors are supported.

By the way, I have the trial version of AE, so might this be the reason why?

• 7. Re: Can't do ram preview, but why?
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Did you reset your preferences as I said to do? If not, do that. In fact, even if you did do it, you should do it again, since the rest of your most recent answer suggests that you made additional changes.

Now, after resetting your preferences, leave them alone until we've gotten through this troubleshooting process. That includes not turning on Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing; that's something that you should only turn on to speed up certian things when you already know that everything is working otherwise.

> Someone told me, it might be an issue with my processor since it is an AMD processor and only INTEL processors are supported.

Whoever told you that only Intel processors are supported was wrong. Here are the system requirements.

> By the way, I have the trial version of AE, so might this be the reason why?

That shouldn't matter. This page has information about what's missing in the trial version.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Can't do ram preview, but why?
                        Schugaland Level 1

Thanx for your answer. So I've reset my preferences. I didnt do any change in the settings. By default it is set to leave 0 GB to other applications. But ram preview is still the same.

One thing that is weird also: AE tells me at every startup that Quick Time Player aint installed. But it is installed. How come AE doesnt know? But this has probably nothing to do with the problem.

Someone told me, that the problem might be because AE doesn't achieve to jump over the 32-bit address limit and reserved ram only in the lower address range. As if AE was installed as a 32bit app. This might be the problem if I had installed AE in the wrong folder. But I didnt install it in the Program Files (x86).

• 9. Re: Can't do ram preview, but why?
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> By default it is set to leave 0 GB to other applications

That's the sign of a serious problem.

The default value is actually 1.5GB-3GB, depending on how much RAM is installed.

Are other programs working? Do other programs (or the operating system, for that matter) see and use the RAM that you have installed?

> One thing that is weird also: AE tells me at every startup that Quick Time Player aint installed. But it is installed. How come AE doesnt know? But this has probably nothing to do with the problem.

If you have aggressive firewall software in use, it can block the necessary communication between After Effects and QuickTime, so After Effects can't tell that QuickTime is there. See this document for more information about that.

Have you installed the After Effects CS5 (10.0.1) update? That update fixes a lot of problems.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Can't do ram preview, but why?
                            Schugaland Level 1

All my other programs are working fine. System tells me correctly that 12 GB are installed.

I installed the patch, but unfortunately nothing changed.

• 11. Re: Can't do ram preview, but why?
                              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Please post screenshots of the Memory & Multiprocessing preferences dialog box and the dialog box that appears when you click Details. First, reset your preferences, so that what we see is the default set of preferences.

Create a simple composition (e.g., a solid-color layer moving across the screen) and try to RAM preview that composition. Does it work? If not, describe the exact behavior, giving _exact_ wording of any error messages or messages in the Info panel.

• 12. Re: Can't do ram preview, but why?
                                Schugaland Level 1

So, here are screenshots with the default settings.

While ram previewing there are no error messages. I did a simple animation with a layer flying around. Now when I click the ram preview button, it will render about 2 seconds, then it starts playing these 2 seconds. Pressing the button again doesn't help to render more than 2 seconds.

The only error message that I get is when changing the multicore function ("Not enough ram installed, multicore disabled").

speicher.jpg

Capture.JPG

• 13. Re: Can't do ram preview, but why?

Having 0 ram for other applications is going to mess you up.  That's like having a car full of passengers but no room for an engine.    If you look over todd's recommendations you need at least 2 in there, but better with 3+.

• 14. Re: Can't do ram preview, but why?
                                    Schugaland Level 1

Yeah, I know, but todd asked me to put screenshots from how the program starts by default. So these are the default values.

By the way, changing the ram for other applications doesnt change anything.

• 15. Re: Can't do ram preview, but why?
                                      Trevor-TP

I want to jump in here too and state that this has been great reading. I am having the same problems and have had no luck. My screen shots would be the exact same (only in english). My AE doesn't recognize Quicktime either, oddly enough. And I agree, that is most likely a seperate issue.

I had no problems last week. Today I opened up AE and started working on a project and it couldn't handle any graphics and wouldn't preivew more than two seconds. What has changed since the last time I used it? I did just download the 10.0.1 patch recently; this morning, I think...

• 16. Re: Can't do ram preview, but why?
                                        Schugaland Level 1

Have you made any progress in finding out what the problem is? Can you tell me whether you have a 32bit or a 64bit system and where exactly you have installed the program? In which folder exactly?

• 17. Re: Can't do ram preview, but why?
                                          Trevor-TP Level 1

I have win7 64bit.

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS5\  and all the files are actually in \Support Files\

I've found some talk online about the problem being tied to the Dynamic Link processor. But I have allowed my Dynamic Link manager through my firewall and nothing has happened for me. I've uninstalled AE and had no luck either. I reinstalled it and the problem was still there. I re-installed the latest patch and still nothing. Oddly, I have noticed the Premiere lists my RAM for other programs at 0 now too. I had previously set that to 3GB.

Are there other .dlls I need to permit through the firewall?

http://www.videocopilot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=41867

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/990191

http://www.slashcam.com/EN/info/AE-CS5-max-allowed-usage-Ram---Ram-preview-performance-438 189.html

http://ftp.postforum.com/forums/read.php?f=11&i=10508&t=10508

• 18. Re: Can't do ram preview, but why?
                                            Schugaland Level 1

Hey,

is your Dynamic Link Manager also installed in the same directory? Because the problem might also be that Windows doesnt realize, that its a 64bit program, if it is installed in the folder "Program Files (x86)". I just checked, on my computer, the dynamic link manager is installed C:/Program Files(x86)/Common Files/Adobe/dynamiclink... so maybe this could be a problem. I realized that there is a second dynamic link manager for Premiere Pro in D:/Adobe/Premiere Pro CS5\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\32\dynamiclinkmanager.exe

Is it normal, that the directory is ...\32\... or does this mean, its installed as a 32bit program? Im confused.

The problem might be - as written in a discussion forum you linked to - something that has to do with Premiere AND After Effects (because same problem exists in Premiere), so the Dynamic Link Manager might really be the reason for our problems.

• 19. Re: Can't do ram preview, but why?
                                              Trevor-TP Level 1

Interesting.

Ok, in the same folder with AE, as in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS5\Support Files

dynamiclink.dll

DynamicLinkMedia.dll

dynamiclinkui.dll

Premiere has a copy of the same 3 files in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\

Also in Premiere C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\32\

dynamiclinkmanager.exe

dynamiclink.dll

There is also a dynamiclinkmanager.exe located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\dynamiclink\CS5

I'm no longer sure if this is even all of them. There seems to be dynamiclinks hidden all over the place. These appear to be the only two managers loaded on my system, though. I have given both full access through my firewall.

• 20. Re: Can't do ram preview, but why?
                                                Schugaland Level 1

I did the same thing, gave it full access through my firewall, but nothing changed. Im not even sure, it has to do anything with the firewall.

Todd, are you still there? Do you have any idea what the problem might be?

• 21. Re: Can't do ram preview, but why?
                                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I don't know why your memory settings are so messed up, but the settings that you show don't match the defaults.

I don't really have any guesses other than to suggest that you try installing on a different computer and see if you can get it to work there. You may have bad RAM, a messed-up operating system... or who knows what.

• 22. Re: Can't do ram preview, but why?
                                                    Final_Lap

Hi Schugaland,

I had exactly the same problem. Turning my firewall (Comodo) off and  resetting AE afterwards worked for me. I think that giving full access  to AE might not be sufficient for it to work properly.

• 23. Re: Can't do ram preview, but why?
                                                      Ilya Planete

Have the same problem.

Win 7 64bit AE cs 5.5 (not trial) intel core2quad (not AMD heh) 4gb Ram  (1.5 reserved for other applications in Memory & multiprocessing)

though all of it doesn't matter

this problem is really made by firewall (dr.web in my case)

It's easy to check - just turn off your firewall and restart AE - you'll see that all 3 problems are solved:

5-10 min startUP (with "initializing media core" text)

allowed RAM usage: 0.4 (i think adobe is great, as AE is still working with 0.4 gb RAM)))

problem with Quicktime

But we can't work with Firewall turned off. really.

So there is a desision frome adobe (for another problem, but it still work):

Solution

In the settings for your firewall software, allow connections to be made to and from the following applications:

Windows:

• AfterFX.exe
                                                      • Adobe QT32 Server.exe
                                                      • dynamiclinkmanager.exe
                                                      • PProHeadless.exe

From here:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/857/cpsid_85711.html

Good luck!

• 24. Re: Can't do ram preview, but why?
                                                        Schugaland Level 1

Thank you! You are right, the solution of Adobe works fine.

• 25. Re: Can't do ram preview, but why?
                                                          visuary

Hi There

I just got the same problem with AE 5.5

I've tried the firewall thing, but it didn't worked. To make it short - it was Avast. Disabling its shields didn't worked, I had to uninstall it - now AE works fine. Back to AVG it seems

I hope this helps someone in the future.

cheers