11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2010 1:02 PM by davidbeisner2010

Sony HDR-SR11 what a headache.. anyone have figured out a workflow?

tf2maniacs Level 1

Things to know

HDR-SR11 AVCHD 1080i camera mt2 format .mts

I got this footage from a client

PREMIERE cs4/5 does not like this... what am i to do?

Prem cs4/5

I bring it to a 60i timeline - no render bar -seems okay but the video is choppy as hell

I bring it to a 50i timeline - has a red bar.. video renders fine and it plays fine

is there a possibility that the client shot this in some wierd format.. but either way.. it should be fine in either of the timelines depenidng what setting he shot it at.. its a NTSC camera... but why would the 60i timeline be so choppy.

any help would be appreciated

thanks

• 1. Re: Sony HDR-SR11 what a headache.. anyone have figured out a workflow?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Use the New Item icon at the bottom of the Project panel to create a sequence with the correct settings, although one expects that 60i is the correct format for an NTSC camera. If it is choppy, most likely it is because of an underpowered setup.

If you have an i7-980X with 24 GB memory, a GTX 480 and a large (4+) raid3/5 array with Win7 Pro and you still have choppy playback, then your software is not properly configured.

• 2. Re: Sony HDR-SR11 what a headache.. anyone have figured out a workflow?
            tf2maniacs Level 1

Thanks for your reply...i appreciate it.  I was wrong- the footage on the 60i timeline(which does not show the render bar) is not jerky or slow. It has wierd abrasions on the image, kinda like pixels missing.

But if i bring it into the 50i timeline and it renders it runs smooth.

I dont belive i need i7 to run avchd, i'm editing on a 5 year old mac current P2 footage. And my own pc is not even one year old top of the line core 2 duo, my other rig is a top of the line i7rig.

The avchd footage runs fine...but just having this wierd issue.

I tried to make a new timline again and again ..even make a custom project and still same issue...

just to make sure i'm doing your suggestion correctly

open premiere, hit new project, from that point on i can choose presets and or make custom. I"ve made custom and same issues.

custom is same as preset because it doesnt give me any other options... please let me know if thats what your suggestion was..

thanks again

• 3. Re: Sony HDR-SR11 what a headache.. anyone have figured out a workflow?
              davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Have you tried exporting the clip to see if the "abrasions" are there as well, or just in the timeline?

I work a lot with AVCHD footage from a consumer grade Sony camcorder, shot at 1080i60 and it's always got those "abrasions" as you call them (I've been searching for a word to describe it's look... I like your's!) in the preview window and while watching on the timeline, but it always looks beautiful in my rendered output. I've always just chalked it up to one of the downfalls of AVCHD footage.

While my machine isn't brand new it's definitely got some power... i7-920, 12GB ram, 3 disk RAID-0 array for data, and GTX-285. It's always done this with AVCHD footage, but I just overlook it on the timeline cause it's smooth as butter when exported.

• 4. Re: Sony HDR-SR11 what a headache.. anyone have figured out a workflow?
                tf2maniacs Level 1

Funny, i have not exported as i've stopped at the whole "abrasions" thing - was trying to figure that out.

It is really hard to watch and edit for me having that stuff happen..but i will export it.

Question.. what should i export it as...so its in its raw form? .avi - and change the screen size settings?

thanks

• 5. Re: Sony HDR-SR11 what a headache.. anyone have figured out a workflow?
                  davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Well, I export to a variety of settings, all with great results. To get the best results for your footage, just click the checkbox in the export dialog that says "match sequence settings" or something like that. It's up at the top, above where you select your output format.

That said, I successfully export to a variety of bitrates using the H.264 codec with MainConcept's encoder; to WMV format (for embedding in PPT); to mpeg2-DVD for Encore; and more.

If you'd rather export to a commercially supported format that might not directly match your timeline, but would best match your footage, I'd choose one of the H.264-Bluray options.

• 6. Re: Sony HDR-SR11 what a headache.. anyone have figured out a workflow?
                    davidbeisner2010 Level 3

tf2maniacs wrote:

It is really hard to watch and edit for me having that stuff happen..but i will export it.

I agree! But I've learned to put up with it. I've dealt with it since CS3, and, though it's gotten better in CS5, it's still there to some extent. I've found it's most difficult when attempting to color correct.

Also, FWIW, I've not noticed any lessening of that problem with changing my playback resolution to 1/2 or 1/4 from full.

• 7. Re: Sony HDR-SR11 what a headache.. anyone have figured out a workflow?
                      racer_300m Level 1

I've experienced this problem, try changing the field settings in the preview window to display both fields.

• 8. Re: Sony HDR-SR11 what a headache.. anyone have figured out a workflow?
                        tf2maniacs Level 1

my other question is.. avchd is 1920x1080, i want to make sure i get that size when exporting  a raw file out of premiere before taking it to a 3rd party encoder

there are so many formats now that i'm not sure wich one to use.. i  have been having issues with exporting anything to the h264 codec.. it never works for me, ever.. same with quicktime or any apple related stuff

• 9. Re: Sony HDR-SR11 what a headache.. anyone have figured out a workflow?
                          tf2maniacs Level 1

Ok thanks for the help everyone, i think i figured it out. Yes the preview is terrible but the export is fine and clear.

Also exporting out is not a problem..thanks again for the help... if there is anything else i'll post up

• 10. Re: Sony HDR-SR11 what a headache.. anyone have figured out a workflow?
                            davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Glad it works! I'm wondering what the need is to use a 3rd party encoder? I've always had great success using AME... are you, perhaps, not using good settings? There's a lot that goes into creating a good custom preset, and I know from trial and error, that if you don't know what you're doing, you can have some less than stellar results.

Interesting tip about setting the display fields... I'll try that and post back if it works.

• 11. Re: Sony HDR-SR11 what a headache.. anyone have figured out a workflow?
                              davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Ok, so interesting feedback...

First, I tried using the "both fields" option, and the video was just showed up with bad interlacing artifacts. Made it worse.

But, I've suddenly got no problems with my AVCHD footage in playback! And I did something that I had tried back in CS4 to no avail, but i guess I forgot to try when I got CS5 last month... I set my playback resolution from what appears to be a default of 1/2, to Full, and the "abrasions" are gone! I've tested this on several projects that had footage where I remember a distinct abrasion pattern, and it's not there anymore.

I'm assuming that since you're posting in this forum, you've got CS5. Are you using CUDA-enabled MPE? The timelines that used to be red in CS4 are now yellow, so I know that the MPE is having an effect on this footage...