3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2010 12:41 PM by Charles VW

32 bit instead of 64, with a brand new program......really?

GodzFire

Look, as an OSX user whose main reason to have Parallels on his machine is to be able to use Audition on my Mac Pro, I am EXTREMELY overjoyed that Adobe has finally comitted itself on bringing Audition to the OSX community, which was long overdue. However, I am completely baffled as to why you would release this as 32 bit instead of 64, especially considering you guys essentially had the chance to build this on the OSX side from scratch. It makes no sense whatsoever.

I believe this is the 'Elephant in the room' issue for the vast majority of OSX users that will be coming here, as evidenced by myself.

I would like to hear the development team's reasoning for this.

• 1. Re: 32 bit instead of 64, with a brand new program......really?
          _durin_ Adobe Employee

A significant reason for maintaining a 32-bit release right now is compatibility with existing plug-ins.  The short answer is that the bulk of third-party effects are still 32-bit, and there is no simple compatibility layer between 32-bit and 64-bit effects.  We absolutely understand the desire for 64-bit support in order to handle larger sessions, but to be completely honest, there HASN'T been a significant demand for 64-bit support from our customer surveys or requests.  In addition, the testing necessary to validate both 32-bit and 64-bit builds would have pushed this release further ahead.  Finally, for the initial release of Audition on the Mac, we wanted to ensure compatibility with ALL Intel-based Macs.

I don't want there to be any misunderstanding - 64-bit IS important going forward and will be a focus as we continue development for all platforms.

• 2. Re: 32 bit instead of 64, with a brand new program......really?
            mattsrx

More of a question...

I understand the benefits of a 64-bit app, especially on osx and primarily for larger multitrack sessions including synths and the like.  Is there a huge benefit of utilizing that much more memory for mastering applications (which AA is primarily aimed at) while dealing with only a limited number of tracks?

• 3. Re: 32 bit instead of 64, with a brand new program......really?
              Charles VW Adobe Employee

A drawback to a 64-bit only application is that no 32-bit VST plug-ins will work in a 64-bit application.  For example, see Premiere Pro which is 64-bit only.