10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2010 7:05 AM by duramaxjack

CEL files

duramaxjack Level 1

Will there be the traditional CEL file with this release?  We have a number of editors that are on PC using older adobe audition 1.5.  We like the CEL files since they save the cue marks we add for editing and are smaller than the wav files for transport over internet for remote editing. I have noticed that this release will save marks within the mp3, but I find that this is not backward compatible with audition 1.5?

• 1. Re: CEL files
          duramaxjack Level 1

Anybody? Will there be the ability to save an audio clip in the cool edit loop (CEL) extension in order to be backward compatible with older versions of audition?

• 2. Re: CEL files
            Charles VW Adobe Employee

You can open any .CEL file by renaming the extension to .mp3.  However, the time will be off as there are some extra beeps that aren't normally heard at the beginning of CEL files.

• 3. Re: CEL files
              duramaxjack Level 1

I realize that, but the point is that the mp3 cannot save the markers so that they are available in older versions of audition. I even tried renaming the mp3 to cel but the markers were not there.

What I need is the ability to save a file to the CEL extension where my markers (cues) are intact allowing a user of, for example,  audition 1.5 to edit that file with the cue marks intact that I made using audition for mac. wav files are just too large to transport over internet for edits.  We do broadcasting and typically our files are 15-75 minutes in length.

• 4. Re: CEL files
                _durin_ Adobe Employee

The CEL format itself will not be natively supported in Audition 4.0.  Third-party solutions may be available after release to support CEL and other legacy formats for import and export.

• 5. Re: CEL files
                  duramaxjack Level 1

Ok, that answers my question.   Thanks!

I sure wish it would be supported though since we have both mac and PC users editing for us and this one small detail probably would prevent us from upgrading to auditon for mac.  Currently we use audition 1.5 in the crossover environment (also bootcamp and parallels are used) but, for obvious reasons, prefer running audition in its native environment. Thats why for us the CEL extension is important. Backward compatibility is very important.

• 6. Re: CEL files
                    duramaxjack Level 1

Seriously developers, CEL extension compatibility with PC versions of Audition is a must!

Thanks.

• 7. Re: CEL files
                      Charles VW Adobe Employee

duramaxjack wrote:

What I need is the ability to save a file to the CEL extension where my markers (cues) are intact allowing a user of, for example,  audition 1.5 to edit that file with the cue marks intact that I made using audition for mac.

You can save MP3 files from this public beta and have the CUE markers saved.  As you point out, they're not saved in a way that is compatible with Audition 1.5.  But you can save the markers in a way that will be compatible with all Adobe video and audio applications going forward.  So if the other people you were exchanging these files with also had this beta or Premiere Pro or something, you could save an MP3 from this beta (with markers), and they'll show up in the other application.

So, I know this doesn't solve your backwards compatibility problem, but let me know if simply saving an MP3 with markers, and then reopening them in the public beta works as you would expect.

• 8. Re: CEL files
                        duramaxjack Level 1

I tried that and that does indeed work and it would be nice if we all were running macs and running this beta but in reality, many of us are also using PC and backward compatibility is a must in order for us to consider this upgrade in the future.

• 9. Re: CEL files
                          Ron_Day Adobe Employee

The other thing to note here is that this feature will also exist in the next Windows version of Audition and the marker data will be transferrable between Mac and Windows.

The .cel file format was the only way we could make the creation and use of small loops possible back in the days of Cool Edit Pro. MP3 files always added additional padding that made using mp3 files for loops impossible. Our new .mp3 filter in Audition now allows for saving .mp3 files without the padding of silence at the start and end (essentially the hack we made work through the .cel format). We realize that this will not be convenient for users of older versions who want to go back to those older versions, but this will work across platforms in the new version and will continue to be our solution moving forward.

I hope this helps (even though it may not have been the answer you were hopind for).

Thanks,

--Ron

• 10. Re: CEL files
                            duramaxjack Level 1

Indeed, not the answer I had hoped for but certainly the best explanation I have found.  Thanks.