6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2010 5:50 PM by MM Acton

Dreamweaver MX 2004 serial number invalid on Windows 7?

MM Acton Level 1

I'm trying to switch to a new computer.  I uninstalled Dreamweaver MX 2004 (also called Dreamweaver 7) from my XP machine and tried to install it on my new Windows 7 Home Premium machine.

After I entered in the last digit of the serial number, a red x appeared next to it. The only button available was Go Back. In other words, it said my serial number was invalid.

I entered it a couple of more times and then tried an experiment. I installed it again, entered the exact same serial number, and there wasn't any problem. That is, it's definitely a valid serial number.

Then I found an update to 7.01, which I installed. Now I could enter the serial number and it accepted it, but when I clicked Next, it said that this update required the serial number of the previous product. So I tried entering the serial number for Ultradev, which I believe was the previous product. (If not, it's the only other Dreamweaver disk I have around.)  That didn't work, so I thought maybe 7.01 was looking for the serial number for 7.00, so I tried that. That didn't work.

Any suggestions?

I have only one web site that I maintain using Dreamweaver, which is why I haven't upgraded. I'd hate to have to go back to Notepad (actually, I'd use Notepad++ if I had to).

I just remembered something. When I installed it, I accepted the default directory, which was Program Files, not Program Files (x86).

• 1. Re: Dreamweaver MX 2004 serial number invalid on Windows 7?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Windows 7 Home Premium

If you had Win7 PRO I would say go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Since you don't, I can only suggest you try installing/running in XP compatibility mode

• 2. Re: Dreamweaver MX 2004 serial number invalid on Windows 7?
            MM Acton Level 1

Ignore that last paragraph. It *was* installed correctly in Program Files (x86).

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver MX 2004 serial number invalid on Windows 7?
              MurraySummers Level 8

I suggest you contact Adobe Customer Support directly.

• 4. Re: Dreamweaver MX 2004 serial number invalid on Windows 7?
                MM Acton Level 1

I fixed it!

On http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/, I chose "I need help activating or deactivating my software". It says:

"If you've installed on more than two computers, you must deactivate one copy by starting that software and choosing Help > Deactivate."

Fortunately, I still have my old computer. I re-installed Dreamweaver there (I had already uninstalled it) and chose Help > Activation > Transfer License.

Transfer License became grey (unavailable), which I understood to mean it had deactivate my license.

I went back to my new machine and did this:

1. Copied the Dreamweaver 7.0 disk to my hard drive.

2. Right-clicked "Install Dreamweaver MX 2004.exe" and chose "Run as administrator."

3. Started Dreamweaver. When it asked me for my serial number, I entered it, and it accepted it! Then it asked me for the serial number of the previous version (because it was an upgrade disk). I entered the old serial number (with hyphens) and it accepted it!

So, in other words, that was the problem: I had to deactivate it on my old machine.

After getting it to accept my serial number, I closed it and then ran the 7.01 update, once again running it as administrator.

Now the only problem is that importing my .ste files doesn't work. I used Manage Sites > Import and chose the .ste file, but got an error message that says "No items match your search."  I puzzled on that one for a bit. Was it saying that it couldn't find my .ste file? I could find my .ste file, and it could, too, because it showed a list of them when I clicked Import.

I opened one with Notepad++ and discovered that it's an XML file. I think I now know the problem:  The .ste file has pathnames in it that represent the file structure on my old XP machine (D:\Documents and Settings...).  The file structure on my Windows 7 machine is C:\Users\[username]...

So, after dinner, I need to search the forums on what to do, or back up my .ste files and then try editing the paths with Notepad++.

• 5. Re: Dreamweaver MX 2004 serial number invalid on Windows 7?
                  John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

"If you've installed on more than two computers, you must deactivate one copy by starting that software and choosing Help > Deactivate."

Wouldn't it be great if Adobe included this simple tip in the Serial Number box on your new machine instead of forcing you to hunt through their website to find the answer?

• 6. Re: Dreamweaver MX 2004 serial number invalid on Windows 7?
                    MM Acton Level 1

Funny you should mention that. I'm a technical writer and my first thought was, "Now how could I have made it clearer to the user?"

Though I thought of writing around it, I also wondered if the error message could have been clearer. Instead of telling me that it was an invalid key, maybe it could have told me "This license has already been activated. If you've installed on more than two computers, deactivate one  copy by starting that software and choosing Help > Deactivate."   Or, if that's too long, just "This license has already been activated" would have given me a big clue.  :-)