12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2010 9:54 PM by JaysonM-Y

Adobe Crashes upon adjusting Audio Gain and when exporting

41NBC Engineer Level 1

First a bit about the systems in question

I have four identical edit bays. Each has a Dual Core 2.5 Ghz Pentium processor, 3.0 gbs of ram, a single sata drive split into two partitions (system 30 gb and video 470 gb). I am running up to date PPro 5.0.2, freshly installed on virgin drives. I was running Avsynth and FFdshow as a way to be able to import my old MJPEG footage, but thanks to Colin Brougham, I have that particular demon slain (and I am removing those two programs).I have two of the bays with the most up to date 64 bit manufacturer video and audio drivers, and two bays with Windows 7 automatically installed video and audio drivers. The problem is the same in all four bays.

We dump in one of two ways: either a direct DV dump via firewire or downloading .MXF files from our Panasonic P2 cameras via USB (can't seem to get the firewire PC dump to work correctly). The project settings I am using are DV-NTSC - Standard 48 Khz, with a slight change of requiring upper fields first (we're using a Maxx500 playout server, and it requires upper fields first). We have been experiencing intermittent crashes for a week and a half, but in the last few days they have picked up (no new updates applied, so its not that). I have two culprits:

One is an error code that thanks to this thread I know is related to the audio gain. My problem is that I have done everything I can think of and still no luck. It's been crashing with such regularity that my reporters are saving every few minutes, and I have the auto save set to 5 minutes. Today I had to reinstall this bay because it was crashing every time audio gain was adjusted.

My other problem relates to export. I use the MainConcept MPEG Encoder to output mpegs for the playout server, and about every fourth or fifth time the program will crash on export. Its not a pain to recover from, since at that point the reporters have saved and merely have to reopen and reset up the export, but it is happening far to regularly. Event Viewer references windows/system32/ntdll.dll as the faulting module. Again, I am having this error on two different bays, one with manufacturer drivers and one with Windows 7 installed drivers.

I know that despite my efforts I've probably not given enough info, so let me know what you need.

• 1. Re: Adobe Crashes upon adjusting Audio Gain and when exporting
          Colin Brougham Level 6
          ...downloading .MXF files from our Panasonic P2 cameras via USB (can't seem to get the firewire PC dump to work correctly).

That's correct. Avoid FW offloading on a PC; in fact, while it used to be the way to interface a P2 camera with a Mac, it's all USB there now, as well. Stick with USB, and you'll be fine. (I know this wasn't the gist of your thread, but I thought I'd shine a little light on that.)

One is an error code that thanks to this thread I know is related to the audio gain. My problem is that I have done everything I can think of and still no luck. It's been crashing with such regularity that my reporters are saving every few minutes, and I have the auto save set to 5 minutes. Today I had to reinstall this bay because it was crashing every time audio gain was adjusted.

This is known/acknowledged/as-yet-unsquashed bug, assuming that you're remapping your MXF audio channels from the two mono channels that are originally produced by the camera to a single stereo channel.  You may be doing this manually, in the bin, or you might have a preference set to do this automatically on import (Edit > Preferences > Audio > Source Channel Mapping; if it's set to Stereo, try setting it to Use File). This bug only seems to rear its head when the mono channels of an MXF clip are remapped to stereo; if they remain as mono, you can use the Audio Gain command successfully.

If, however, your audio channels aren't stereo, post back; there might be something else going on.

My other problem relates to export. I use the MainConcept MPEG Encoder to output mpegs for the playout server, and about every fourth or fifth time the program will crash on export. Its not a pain to recover from, since at that point the reporters have saved and merely have to reopen and reset up the export, but it is happening far to regularly. Event Viewer references windows/system32/ntdll.dll as the faulting module. Again, I am having this error on two different bays, one with manufacturer drivers and one with Windows 7 installed drivers.

When you say "MainConcept MPEG Encoder," are you referring to the MPEG2 encoder that is part of Premiere/AME, or are you referring to some sort of add-on encoder?

• 2. Re: Adobe Crashes upon adjusting Audio Gain and when exporting
            41NBC Engineer Level 1
            That's correct. Avoid FW offloading on a PC; in fact, while it used to be the way to interface a P2 camera with a Mac, it's all USB there now, as well. Stick with USB, and you'll be fine. (I know this wasn't the gist of your thread, but I thought I'd shine a little light on that.)

Good to know, thanks.

This is known/acknowledged/as-yet-unsquashed bug, assuming that you're remapping your MXF audio channels from the two mono channels that are originally produced by the camera to a single stereo channel.  You may be doing this manually, in the bin, or you might have a preference set to do this automatically on import (Edit > Preferences > Audio > Source Channel Mapping; if it's set to Stereo, try setting it to Use File). This bug only seems to rear its head when the mono channels of an MXF clip are remapped to stereo; if they remain as mono, you can use the Audio Gain command successfully.

If, however, your audio channels aren't stereo, post back; there might be something else going on

We set every clip to Mono as Stereo (because of how the reporters get footage in the field, nat on left channel, sound/interview on right channel this gives us two stereo tracks, one for each original left and right track), while the project settings are indeed stereo. The source channel mapping is Use File.

When you say "MainConcept MPEG Encoder," are you referring to the MPEG2 encoder that is part of Premiere/AME, or are you referring to some sort of add-on encoder?

Sorry, I'm using the encoder that comes with PPro CS5. See what happens when I try to give all the info you need the first time!

• 3. Re: Adobe Crashes upon adjusting Audio Gain and when exporting
              Colin Brougham Level 6

We set every clip to Mono as Stereo (because of how the reporters get footage in the field, nat on left channel, sound/interview on right channel this gives us two stereo tracks, one for each original left and right track), while the project settings are indeed stereo. The source channel mapping is Use File.

OK, I haven't tested that exact combo (Mono as Stereo), but I suspect that it reacts the same as mapping the two mono tracks to a single stereo...

(Standby... testing... testing...)

Yep. Crashville. So, don't remap the audio

Yes, I know that sounds obvious and silly and simplistic and like it's not a real solution, but hear me out: you want the two independent channels fully mixed to both channels of the stereo output, right? Well, when you drop those mono clips into a sequence mono tracks but a stereo master track, they'll both automatically be routed to both stereo channels! No need to change anything. If you want, you can pop into the Audio Mixer and pan the mono tracks into one side or another of the stereo output, but without doing another thing, your audio will route to stereo output.

Yes/no/what?

• 4. Re: Adobe Crashes upon adjusting Audio Gain and when exporting
                41NBC Engineer Level 1

Well, sorta....

The reason we had been using mono as stereo was that when we were using mono tracks the encoder would crash saying that the audio was incompatible, but I think I may know why. At that point we were using mono tracks in the settings, and exporting to stereo tracks in the MPEG encoder, using mono tracks in the timeline. That may have caused the error.

I just tried using mono tracks on an otherwise stereo project, and aside from them being relegated to tracks 4 and 5, and being not in a very easily seen/used place (you'd have to know my reporters to understand that statement), it seemed to work perfectly. Any ideas on how to make it so the mono tracks are at the top and any stereo tracks are at the bottom?

• 5. Re: Adobe Crashes upon adjusting Audio Gain and when exporting
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

The reason we had been using mono as stereo was that when we were using mono tracks the encoder would crash saying that the audio was incompatible, but I think I may know why. At that point we were using mono tracks in the settings, and exporting to stereo tracks in the MPEG encoder, using mono tracks in the timeline. That may have caused the error.

That shouldn't be an issue. As far as the encoder is concerned, it is only looking at the Master Track format--which can be Mono, Stereo or 5.1. As far as the component tracks in the sequence, the encoder is not wise to those and frankly doesn't care; it's only looking at the format of the Master Track. Everything gets mixed prior to the Master Track output, so however those source tracks are setup is invisible.

That said, there may be something else going on. Can you detail your exact sequence set up, and your encoding settings? I'll test and see if I can spot any weirdness...

I just tried using mono tracks on an otherwise stereo project, and aside from them being relegated to tracks 4 and 5, and being not in a very easily seen/used place (you'd have to know my reporters to understand that statement), it seemed to work perfectly. Any ideas on how to make it so the mono tracks are at the top and any stereo tracks are at the bottom?

You could set up your own sequence preset, call it HEY REPORTERS ONLY USE THIS SEQUENCE PRESET SO I DON'T LOSE MY MIND! and in it, set up your track stack the way you like it. By default, mono tracks appear above (physically/numerically) the stereo tracks when they are generated via a sequence preset.

(Come to think of it, you can actually take all the other sequence presets offline, so there is no confusion. That might be a bit extreme, though I was a phojo/editor for awhile, so I know how it goes )

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Adobe Crashes upon adjusting Audio Gain and when exporting
                    41NBC Engineer Level 1

I don't have the problem anymore with the incompatible audio. If I do I will come back and post a follow up message. Thanks again for all your help!

You could set up your own sequence preset, call it HEY REPORTERS ONLY USE THIS SEQUENCE PRESET SO I DON'T LOSE MY MIND! and in it, set up your track stack the way you like it. By default, mono tracks appear above (physically/numerically) the stereo tracks when they are generated via a sequence preset.

LOL, not too far from the truth actually. My problem is that with a stereo master track setting, I can't remove the default stereo tracks (usually 3), no matter how hard I try. It's pretty annoying. That said, I think my reporters will be just as happy not to have the program crash every time they adjust the audio gain (seriously Adobe, audio gain???). With the stereo master, the mono tracks show up as higher numbers.

here's my settings:

General
                    Editing mode: DV NTSC
                    Timebase: 29.97fps

Video Settings
                    Frame size: 720h 480v (0.9091)
                    Frame rate: 29.97 frames/second
                    Pixel Aspect Ratio: D1/DV NTSC (0.9091)
                    Fields: Upper Field First

Audio Settings
                    Sample rate: 48000 samples/second

Default Sequence
                    Total video tracks: 3
                    Master track type: Stereo
                    Mono tracks: 3
                    Stereo tracks: 1
                    5.1 tracks: 0
                    Submix mono tracks: 0
                    Submix stereo tracks: 0
                    Submix 5.1 tracks: 0

And now that I open a new sequence to grab those settings, what I wanted is there (including low numbered mono tracks). Le Sigh. edit: Oh, I get it, when I save a new preset as the existing old name, the changes don't take effect until I open a new sequence. Silly me! Thanks for all the help!

• 7. Re: Adobe Crashes upon adjusting Audio Gain and when exporting
                      Colin Brougham Level 6
                      It's pretty annoying. That said, I think my reporters will be just as happy not to have the program crash every time they adjust the audio gain (seriously Adobe, audio gain???).

Heh. Yeah, I know, but it is only a certain mixture of things where you get the crash. If you leave the audio channels mono, you can use Audio Gain to your heart's content and it'll work just fine. I was surprised this was not fixed in 5.0.2, as I think we collectively discovered it well before the release of that patch, but no-go. Maybe the next one...?

And now that I open a new sequence to grab those settings, what I wanted is there (including low numbered mono tracks). Le Sigh. Oh well, its right, I don't really care how it got there (LOL). Thanks for all the help!

There you go! To make it easier on yourself, once you've set up that sequence preset (and saved it!) on one machine, just jump into:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Pro\5.0\Settings\Custom

...and copy the .sqpreset file from there. If you drop it in the same folder on another machine, it'll be one of the Custom options there, as well.

Incidentally, if you want to whittle down or completely remove all the other sequence presets you're not likely to be using, just head into:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\Settings\SequencePresets

...and purge or just move anything you don't need. It'll make life a little easier for the reporters, and by proxy, you as well

Hope things go a little more smoothly here on out--we accomplished a lot this evening!

• 8. Re: Adobe Crashes upon adjusting Audio Gain and when exporting
                        davidbeisner2010 Level 3

41NBC Engineer wrote:

My problem is that with a stereo master track setting, I can't remove the default stereo tracks (usually 3), no matter how hard I try. It's pretty annoying.

There may be an easier way to do this, but whenever I need to get rid of extra tracks (like my three automatically placed stereo tracks above mono tracks added later), I just make sure there is no audio on them, right click over on the left (where it says Audio 1, Audio 2, etc.) and click "Delete Tracks." Then just make sure the box is checked to "Delete all empty audio tracks" and click "delete" and all is well. :-)

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Adobe Crashes upon adjusting Audio Gain and when exporting
                          41NBC Engineer Level 1

I was finally able to adjust the number of mono and stereo tracks in the preset in order to eliminate some of those extra tracks, although I have been making use of that delete tracks setting

• 10. Re: Adobe Crashes upon adjusting Audio Gain and when exporting
                            JaysonM-Y Level 3

also file a report if you haven't yet.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

(it must be under heavy use because I can't access it at the moment )

• 11. Re: Adobe Crashes upon adjusting Audio Gain and when exporting
                              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

BTW, if the bug-report form ever has problems, let me know. Just send me a direct message, since I can't exactly recommend that you use the bug-report form to submit a bug report about the bug-report form not working. ;-)