11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2010 6:22 PM by JaysonM-Y

Archiving format for concert footage?

mikec82 Level 1

I have just switched a couple weeks ago from Final Cut (Mac) to Premiere CS5 (PC).

I have 10 sequences (songs from a concert) that I am wanting to store long-term. They were filmed on a Canon T2i (1920x1080, 29.97fps, H264). It was edited natively in CS5. I've looked at the H264 Blu-Ray codec, but the file sizes are a little larger than I can handle. I guess when I say that, I am also inserting that I will be using whatever archive format I decide on for future projects. With a 3.5 minute song, the Blu-Ray High-Quality codec gives me a 800mb file. I am looking for something in the 300mb range.

This isn't very specific, but I am trying to find out what my options are. From what I've read in this forum, mp4 would be the way to go, vs. quicktime (although I'm sure opinions will vary). Any feedback is appreciated!

• 1. Re: Archiving format for concert footage?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Hmm. Well, can you define what you mean by "archiving?" Do you want mixed-down/flattened/finished versions of your edits that you won't be editing again? Or do you plan on revisiting the original footage at a later point?

Practically speaking, "archiving" would mean keeping the original files, not transcoding them to something else or encoding a final version. If you can be a bit more specific with our intended use, a better recommendation could be made.

• 2. Re: Archiving format for concert footage?
            mikec82 Level 1

It will be a "flattened down" not to be edited again version. This specific project is not professional, but for personal use, but I'd love to use the same formatting for all my future projects if possible. I am a wedding videographer (my part time job at least), and after I deliver a project to a bride and groom, I give them a month to make changes. After that, I keep the raw footage (on HDV tapes) and get rid of everything else except the transcoded finished files. I normally keep a high-quality m2v/aac and a .mov, but am looking at other options now that I am no longer using Compressor.

• 3. Re: Archiving format for concert footage?
              Colin Brougham Level 6

The primary deciding factor for video file size is bit rate; you're probably right to use H.264 as the encoder and MP4 as the container (best bang-for-the-buck, compressionally-speaking), but you just need to crank down the bit rate to get to a file size that you're happy with. Of course, quality if connected to bit rate, so it might be a better idea in the long run to leave the bit rate higher and just buy more/bigger hard drives

• 4. Re: Archiving format for concert footage?
                davidbeisner2010 Level 3

I'm not intending to hijack this thread, just perhaps get a little more info, both for the OP and for myself... He's asked the best codec/format for archiving; what's the best medium for archival? I currently archive data files to BD-DL discs. I know they're expensive, but I've read that hard drives can often "freeze" if not spun up periodically, so they make for poor archival medium, and short of purchasing a tape drive, optical disc seems to be the best long-term archival medium to me. Am I correct on that, or is there something else I'm overlooking?

• 5. Re: Archiving format for concert footage?
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

...optical disc seems to be the best long-term archival medium to me. Am I correct on that, or is there something else I'm overlooking?

So far, optical disc is not proving to be the long-term archival format of choice. Even the "gold" discs which are supposedly more designed for protracted storage start deteriorating pretty rapidly. Maybe if you store them at the perfect temperature/humidity/elevation/etc. they'd be more reliable, but I think anything of real value shouldn't end up on a burned disc. In a few years, discs are going to be completely obsolete, anyway.

Hard drives are OK; they're cheap enough these days were you can make a duplicate or two, which should be standard practice anyway.

LTO tape is probably one of the best archive mediums available right now. The tape itself is dirt-cheap (the drives--not so much) and stores a huge amount of data. Considering that the technology was developed for the financial industry, it's pretty bombproof.

• 6. Re: Archiving format for concert footage?
                    jonhand Level 1

I agree. The failure rate on optical discs is extremely high. Not a good solution at all (unless you light a candle everyday). Hardrives are much better solution right now... (except for Seagate, of course).

• 7. Re: Archiving format for concert footage?
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Hardrives are much better solution right now... (except for Seagate, of course).

Haha! Yeah, you should probably have four or five backups, in that case...

Interestingly, I used Seagate for a long, long time (there's still four or so of them in my older machine) and never experienced a problem. Western Digital, on the other hand, has been really spotty for me. The upshot is to always make more than one copy, no matter what brand is your brand.

• 8. Re: Archiving format for concert footage?
                        davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Interesting, thanks, guys... so the issue of hard drives "freezing" if not spun up is one of the past, perhaps?

• 9. Re: Archiving format for concert footage?
                          jonhand Level 1

TWO (2) harddrive copies. always.

• 10. Re: Archiving format for concert footage?
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

I generally keep one copy on DVD and one on HDD.  If both fail, then I figure God Himself is against me and there ain't much I can do about it.

• 11. Re: Archiving format for concert footage?
                              JaysonM-Y Level 3

I generally keep one copy on DVD and one on HDD.  If both fail, then I figure God Himself is against me and there ain't much I can do about it.

Here, here. Tho I just figure that project was never meant to be recovered.