8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2010 10:11 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 8.0 disables Photoshop 4.0

Thomas-Fineran

Premiere Elements 8.0 disabled my Photoshop 4.0 when it was installed. Why? Premerie Elements 8.0 Crashes more often than it completes. Why? It crashes on simple things such as scrolling Edit Effects. Premiere Elements 8.0 and Photoshop 4.0 are both running on a Dell 360 Workstation, Intel Pentium 4 2.80 GHz Processor, 1.5 GB of RAM, Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3,  C: Drive 200GB, D; Drive 500 GB.

Regards

Tom Fineran

tfineran@yahoo.com

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 disables Photoshop 4.0
          nealeh Level 5

Your machine is low powered to run PRE8. 2GB RAM is really the minimum but you will have more success with 4GB. Your Pentium processor will struggle with HiDef.

Working through these basics will help:

• Install all Windows Updates.

• Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.8 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.

• Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites.
          • Run Disk Cleanup.
          • Run Defragmenter.
          • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning.

And please provide the following information:

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 disables Photoshop 4.0
            Thomas-Fineran Level 1

Premiere Elements 8.0 disabling Photoshop 4.0 is not a processor speed or memory problem. All XP Pro updates are current. Disk is Cleaned up at least weekly and defraged at the same time. But this is all GOOD ADVISE. Without Premiere Elements 8.0, Photoshop 4.0 runs fine. With Premiere Elements 4.0, Photoshop 4.0 runs fine. With Premiere Elements 8.0 INSTALLED, but not running and NEVER STARTED, Photoshop 4.0 stops running during program load. I deactivated and uninstalled Premiere Elements 8.0 then reinstalled Premiere Elements 4.0. Photoshop 4.0 runs perfectly. Also, while Premiere Elements 8.0 is installed but NEVER STARTED, it seems to spawn programs with random names like D20, F40, E30, etc. These programs refuse to shut down when Windows XP Pro is shut down and must be forceable terminated. With Premiere Elements 8.0 deactivated and uninstalled none of this occurs. Currently Premiere Elements 8.0 is deactivated and uninstalled. I have a Dell 1720 laptop 2.0 GHz Duo Processor, 4 GB memory, all updates to Windows XP Pro, and tons of defraged disk space. I may try Premiere Elements 8.0 on that machine. The files I try to process all come from several Sony DCR-DVD403 handycams I own. I directly copy the Sony file segments from the DCR-DVD403 Mini DVD after finalizing them on the Sony Handycam to my hard drive using the Dell 360 CD/DVD Reader.

Regards

Tom Fineran

tfineran@yahoo.com

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 disables Photoshop 4.0
              nealeh Level 5

With neither PRE8 or PSE4 running use task manager to kill any background Adobe processes. If that doesn't help I think you will need to go through Adobe Support.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 disables Photoshop 4.0
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom,

I have not heard of a problem with PrE 8 and other Adobe programs, BUT going back a bit, PrE4 did break the full CS2 Production Studio suite, including PS, PrPro, Bridge, Encore and AE. This happened to me, and by the time that I experienced it, Adobe had a KB Article on the issue. For me, the fix was to just do a Repair Install of the CS2 Production Studio suite, and that fixed everything.

Obviously, back then, Adobe did not consider that a user might have PrPro (and other programs in the suite), and THEN install PrE 4, but enough had, that they did the KB Article. I have not heard of later versions of PrE breaking things in other Adobe programs, but maybe just missed them.

Good luck, and hope that a Repair Install of the other Adobe programs helps. BTW, is that PS CS4, or the very old PS 4.0?

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 disables Photoshop 4.0
                  Thomas-Fineran Level 1

Bill, that is VERY OLD PhotoShop 4.0! There wasn't an expiration date on it when I bought it about TEN YEARS ago! Thanks for your tips. Right now, I have Premiere Elements 4.0 installed (runs fine) and Premiere Elements 8.0 disabled and uninstalled. I'm deciding whether to install it on a faster machine I have.

Best Regards

Tom Fineran

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 disables Photoshop 4.0
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom,

There is no "expiration date" on PS versions. Until recently, I had PS 4.0 installed on one machine, as it did one thing differently, and better for one particular client, than later versions did. At that time, I had PS 4.0, PS CS and PS CS2 (which was new then), and had no issues. However, on that machine, I had no Adobe NLE programs, so cannot comment on them coexisting - still, PS 4.0 (then about 6 - 8 years old), had no issues. I always keep the previous version on my machine, until I am 100% comfortable with the new replacement version - in case that favorite client calls with a change, and tells me, "the courier is on their way over to pick up the changed file," and I need to work very quickly. I want an "old friend" on the computer, though I will be learning the new version. In my case, I also kept PS 4.0, for use on about 3 projects per year, for one particular client. [Sometimes, I did have to remember how PS 4.0 did some things, as I had basically moved on, but had to go back to it for that client's unique needs.]

Wish that I could be specific in helping you with your instance, but, as I mentioned, I never had any NLE program on that box, so my comments are very general, and probably moot to your situation.

Good luck, and maybe others can offer something specific,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 disables Photoshop 4.0
                      Thomas-Fineran Level 1

Bill, there are two things I like about PS 4.0. The first is that it's text tool is great for making repeated identical text inserts. The other is it's menu selection/keystroke memorization tool for doing repeated identical tasks.

Best Regards

Tom Fineran

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 disables Photoshop 4.0
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom,

PS did change many things about the handling of Text in later versions. Some people love those changes, but some did not.

Also, in later versions of PS, the Actions (recording keystrokes, etc.) has been enhanced greatly. Also, as of about CS, Scripting was added, and that is Actions on "steroids."

While I have used every version of PS from version 2.5 through CS2 (except for version 5.5), and love the later versions. I have PS CS5, but have not installed it yet (waiting for new laptop and workstation w/ Win7-64 bit), so cannot comment on that version.

Good luck,

Hunt