1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 10, 2010 11:56 AM by Mylenium

EXR and RPF rules for alpha and color management?

Navarro Parker Level 3

How can I change the interpretation rules so that EXRs always import with straight alphas? They always import with Premulti now.

Also, I want to always turn off color management (Preserve RGB) for RPFs. (I use RPFs for my motion vector passes and color management always throws off the blur with ReelSmart)

• 1. Re: EXR and RPF rules for alpha and color management?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

How can I change the interpretation rules so that EXRs always import with straight alphas? They always import with Premulti now.

AE is just obeying the original EXR spec, which suggests all colors are premultiplied. If the Alpha channel is not specifically tagged as unpremultiplied, that's what AE will use.

Also, I want to always turn off color management (Preserve RGB) for RPFs. (I use RPFs for my motion vector passes and color management always throws off the blur with ReelSmart)

Similar to the previous, I'd say. The fault is probably with the program not creating a linear motion vector pass in the first place and thus the pass having a Gamma bias or else you wouldn't see those shifts. And I wouldn't use RPF... If you render your RGB to EXR, you can do so for the motion pass as well. EXRs per spec store colors linearly, which might also help to avoid your issues.

Anyway, I'm not aware of globally changing any of that from the AE end. As I was trying to explain, the program is more or less behaving correctly based on assuming the files you feed it comply with certain standards....

Mylenium