8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2010 3:22 PM by Scott Carver

Audition for Mac:  A suggestion

RandB

I'm a voiceover talent and I'm on the computer recording and editing voice tracks for hours at a time every single day.  So speed is a huge thing for me.  Anything that streamlines the work flow and saves me a few keystrokes or mouse clicks here and there really adds up over the course of a day, a week, a month or a year.  With that said, there are two big things I'd like to see added to Audition, and until they are, Audition will not be my tool of choice because it falls short to other apps I am now using:

1.  Effect Chains.  I apply one of two or three pre-configured effect chains to my voice tracks every time I send them out.  So having the ability to set up, recall and apply custom effect chains is an essential tool (as I'm sure it is for most voiceover people).  As it is now, in order to create and recall user-created effect chains in Adobe Audition, you have to work in the multi-track view, set up a chain of effects on a track, edit on that track (or apply the effects to the master) and then mix down, when the effects would finally be applied.  I don't like to work that way, as it adds steps that are unnecessary in other waveform editing applications.  I would like to be able to create customized effect chains in the edit view, then call up any one of my pre-configured effect chains and apply it destructively in the edit view.  As far as I am aware, effect chains can only be saved in a Session in the multi-track view.  They can't be saved and called up in another Session, and they can't be applied with one mouse click in the Edit View.  In short, I want to be able to call up and apply user-customized Effect Chains IN THE EDIT VIEW.

2.  Zero Crossings.  In Adobe Audition's edit view, each time you edit a waveform, you have to go in to the Edit menu and choose "Zero Crossings" and choose whether to adjust the edits outward, inward, left or right to the nearest Zero Crossing if you want to ensure that every edit is made on a Zero Crossing, in order to make sure there's no digital "pop."  In the waveform editing app I am now using, there's a Preference option that you can set which tells the application to always find the nearest Zero Crossing whenever an edit is made (by default, it always chooses the nearest "outward" Zero Crossings on a two-point edit).  Having this as a preference saves the user an enormous amount of time by not having to think about adjusting the edit points each and every time an edit is made.  It just happens automatically.  Fewer mouse clicks.  This really adds up to THOUSANDS of mouse clicks over the course of a few months!

Please, developers, I'm beggin' ya!

Until these features are incorporated, I can't really take Audition seriously as an option in my work flow.

• 1. Re: Audition for Mac:  A suggestion
          digital.alchemy.studios Level 1

Patton, is that you?

Seriously though, he is right

• 2. Re: Audition for Mac:  A suggestion
            Ron_Day Adobe Employee

Hey Guys,

I think we already have what you're looking for if I understand this correctly (let me know if I misunderstood).

1. We have an Effects Rack that works in both the Editor and the Multitrack (Window > Effects Rack). You can add any effects we support directly into the Effects Rack and save "Rack Presets" to recall and destructively apply to any file you want.

You can also use the "Favorites" workflow to have it record your actions of applying effects (Favorites > Start Recording Favorite) and run those as a batch process on all your files using the Batch Processing Panel.

2. Simply go to Edit > Snapping > Snap to Zero Crossings. This will always make sure that when you make selections you are making them on Zero Crossing boundaries.

Is this what you're looking for?

--Ron

• 3. Re: Audition for Mac:  A suggestion
              duramaxjack

Seriously, CEL extensions are a must too!

• 4. Re: Audition for Mac:  A suggestion
                RandB Level 1

Ron, as they say on the TV show Family Feud, "GOOD ANSWER!  GOOD ANSWER!"  :-)

Yes, indeed, these two options seem to satisfy my needs.

I found one more.  It pertains to zooming.

I'm using an Apple Magic Mouse (the wireless one without a nubbie on the top, it takes gestures...but the same thing would apply if I was using a track pad).

When I have a waveform up in the Edit View (and I'm assuming the same thing might be true in the Multi Track View, and if it isn't, then the two views SHOULD behave the same if they don't), I want to be able to zoom in using an upward gesture on the Magic Mouse.

Indeed, an upward gesture does, in fact, zoom in.  But what, exactly, does it zoom in TO?  It should zoom in to the cursor position, but it seems a bit more random than that.  I can't quite tell what it's trying to zoom in to, but it sure isn't zooming into the last clicked cursor position or even the cursor position as the audio is playing.

A zoom tool is fairly worthless if you can't control what it's zooming in TO.  Would you not agree?

Like I said, I've only tried this on the Edit View so far.  I would think the behavior should be the same in both views.

But again, a zoom tool does me no good if I can't control what it's zooming in TO.

• 5. Re: Audition for Mac:  A suggestion
                  Scott Carver

We should indeed be zooming in to the mouse pointer. This works pretty great on my trackpad and my desktop MM, but it's likely also dependant on the scroll sensitivity. Keeping in mind that the mouse wheel / two finger drag will zoom if you move up and down, and scroll left-right if you move left-right, what might be happening is: you're zooming in, but also scrolling the waveform slightly left or right, making it tough to keep on track with where you want to zoom. Again, I don't have much of a problem with my MM, but it could be related to the sensitivity. Does this sound a bit like what's happening? Also, check in your mouse System Preferences to see if the Scrolling option is set to "360 Degree" or "Vertical and Horizontal" - the behaviors can be quite different. There might be a way we could improve our zooming behavior with certain mouse settings.

Scott C

• 6. Re: Audition for Mac:  A suggestion
                    RandB Level 1

One other thing on this zooming stuff...

(This stuff is always so hard to describe in text only.  Hope I'm not torturing you with my descriptions.)

The proper behavior, it seems to me, ought to be:

- Gesture upward = zoom in to play head, whether it's static or moving

- Gesture downward = zoom out, play head is in middle until you zoom out enough to bring in the whole waveform into view

- Gesture left/right = pan left/right in the window

These seem to me to be the most intuitive.

Indeed, the gesture up does zoom in.  But what is it zooming in to?  Seems it's not zooming in to the play head or the vertical cursor (red line) position.  Honestly, I'm not sure what it's trying to zoom in to.  It seems a bit random, which makes it somewhat less than useful.  It also seems to zoom in a little too quickly.  You don't want to zoom in to the sample level with just a short gesture.  It should require a couple of gestures to get in that far, otherwise the magnification is just too great, too fast.  You need to reduce the speed at which the magnification occurs, slightly.

Indeed, the gesture down does zoom out.  This behaves as you would hope it might.

And indeed, the gesture left/right does pan the window left/right.  This behaves as you would hope it might.

So the zooming in is the one that seems a bit quirky.

A suggestion (this is asking for the ideal, I guess, but that's what this beta testing process is for, right?)...  What if it worked like this:

- GESTURE UP = zoom in to play head, whether it's static or in motion (window scrolls right to keep up with play head)

- OPTION + GESTURE UP = zoom in to left boundary of area of selection

- COMMAND + GESTURE UP = zoom in to right boundary of area of selection

(The option key is to the left of the command key, so this would be the way to work it.  Using the modifier keys zooms into the left or right edge of a selection area.  No modifier key just zooms in to the vertical red line (play head).

This would seem to be the best of all worlds.

NOTE:  I *hate* having to click the zoom icons or use keyboard shortcuts to zoom.  It forces the mouse/cursor to move away from the work area needlessly, and the keyboard shortcuts require both hands to leave where they need to be when editing.  It's more work than it ought to be.  The simple mouse/track pad gestures are the FASTEST way to zoom with the fewest clicks.  Again, it's about efficiency and speed of work flow.  Every mouse click you can save the user adds up to THOUSANDS of mouse clicks over a couple of months time.

• 7. Re: Audition for Mac:  A suggestion
                      RandB Level 1

Concerning your reply about scrolling sensitivity:

All I can tell you is that I do this stuff all day, every day on other apps.

The speed at which the scrolling (or in the case of zooming, the magnification) occurs seems to be application specific.

For instance, when I zoom in/out or scroll left/right using up/down or left/right gestures on the mouse, it works exactly as I'd hope in Twisted Wave.

However, in Pro Tools, the zooming (OPTION + GESTURE UP to zoom in) or (SHIFT + GESTURE LEFT/RIGHT to pan) can be overly sensitive.  Annoyingly sensitive, if you ask me.

Yet I don't change the settings in my System Preferences.

So I think these sensitivities tend to be somewhat application specific.

• 8. Re: Audition for Mac:  A suggestion
                        Scott Carver Level 1

Good to know. I'll do some more experimenting with it (and other apps as well), see what I can see.

And, for clarification: we definitely zoom in to the mouse cursor, not the CTI / play head when zooming with the mouse wheel. We DO zoom in/out on the CTI when you use keyboard zoom, however.

Scott C