14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2010 1:29 PM by Harm Millaard

Space Bar not responding during editting

41NBC Engineer Level 1

Under normal circumstances when editting in the timeline, my reporters use the spacebar to play and pause/stop the timeline. There has been some issues of late where the space bar seems to not be working, and requires two or three pushes before it plays or pauses the video in the timeline. The video being rendered does not affect it one way or the other, and it is not constant. It can happen at any time, and often doesn't affect a reporter, or will affect a reporter non-stop (both occured today). For the record, yes I have checked the keyboard and it is not the problem. The spacebar works fine for normal use, its just PPro that has the problem.

Specs: I have four identical edit bays. Each has a Dual Core 2.5 Ghz Pentium  processor, 3.0 gbs of ram, a single sata drive split into two partitions  (system 30 gb and video 470 gb). I am running up to date PPro 5.0.2,  freshly installed on virgin drives. I have two of the bays with the most up to date 64 bit  manufacturer video and audio drivers, and two bays with Windows 7  automatically installed video and audio drivers. The problem is the same  in all four bays.

Help?

• 1. Re: Space Bar not responding during editting
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          a single sata drive split into two partitions

Someone is sure to comment on that.  I wanted to jump in first and say that while the idea of using a single partitioned hard drive isn't a good one, doing so is highly unlikely to be the cause of this particular issue.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Space Bar not responding during editting
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Your problem is that your systems are below minimum requirements, with some serious setup faults.

This is harsh:

1. A single disk is below minimum requirements. You need at least two physical 7200 RPM SATA disks

2. Never partition a disk. It will only increase wear and tear and slow down performance.

3. You likely never tuned your system. Look here: Adobe Forums: Guide for installing and tuning a Vista... This also applies to Win7.

4. Your dual core CPU is absolutely bare minimum for DV material, but anything more will grind to a halt.

5. 3 GB RAM is not enough.

You are in for a serious upgrade of your systems.

1 person found this helpful
            • 4. Re: Space Bar not responding during editting
              JaysonM-Y Level 3

not laughing at you OP but the posts were funny.

• 5. Re: Space Bar not responding during editting
                41NBC Engineer Level 1

Your problem is that your systems are below minimum requirements, with some serious setup faults.

This is harsh:

1. A single disk is below minimum requirements. You need at least two physical 7200 RPM SATA disks

2. Never partition a disk. It will only increase wear and tear and slow down performance.

3. You likely never tuned your system. Look here: Adobe Forums: Guide for installing and tuning a Vista... This also applies to Win7.

4. Your dual core CPU is absolutely bare minimum for DV material, but anything more will grind to a halt.

5. 3 GB RAM is not enough.

You are in for a serious upgrade of your systems.

First Harm, I do want to say thank you and that I realize you are trying to help. But, budget is a major issue, and the likelyhood of upgrading soon is non-existant. So what can we do to work within the specs I have? I had not done all of the steps in the tune up, but yes most of them I had, specifically I had not installed Ccleaner, and I had not turned off all of the windows add ons as yet - both will be fixed soon. Our editting needs are pretty minimal to be honest, which is part of why its so frustrating that PPro is being so cantankerous. Cut in and out of five or ten clips, add in a voice over track, and once in a great while a cross fade between two clips or fade out audio (using the pen tool), export to mpeg, and we're done. Our longest package is 4 minutes and that's most of a news block (segment between commercials - we have a 30 minutes news show, so you can imagine most are in the 1:30 to 2 minute range).

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Someone is sure to comment on that.  I wanted to jump in first and say that while the idea of using a single partitioned hard drive isn't a good one, doing so is highly unlikely to be the cause of this particular issue.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I knew about someone would say something eventually, but given that it works most of the time, and only freezes up occasionally, like you I find it unlikely that this is the issue. I'm not saying it won't contribute to it (I know it can). The sad part of all this is I can't get it to replicate the space bar freeze up for me, and while I experience it when I go into the bays for the reporters, I have no idea what they have done up until that point in order to troubleshoot what they are doing wrong. I can and have run an install at the same time as editting video and not had a single slow down whatsoever, while several reporters have issues running PPro and notepad. One is running her yahoo mail in IE, and I think that is one of the problems she runs into (given how resource hoggy IE can be - especially on yahoo's webmail interface), but that's one person, not all of them.

• 6. Re: Space Bar not responding during editting
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

I realize you are stretched for budget, CPU, memory and hard disks. But if you look at TaskManager or Process Explorer, how many processes do you have running in a normal situation, without PR loaded? If that is more than 50, better post a screenshot form Process Explorer (that is much more telling than TaskManager) and check the basic things like Compression and Indexing off on all drives, etc. While editing, turn off all unnecessary processes, like anti-virus, anti-spam, anti-whatever and other unneeded stuff that cripples your machine.

• 7. Re: Space Bar not responding during editting
                    41NBC Engineer Level 1

Here is what Process Explorer shows. 45 in total. Windows 7 doesn't turn on Compression or Indexing (thankfully) or at least it hasn't on me. I tried turning off the Windows Search service, but that one is HARD to kill completely. This screen shot is after a day of editing. I had to manually kill the Premiere Pro process (even though it was closed), in order to get you what I had with it not running.

process explorer.png

These computers are still hooked up to the net (a necessary evil), so I have to keep anti-virus and all going (I had an outbreak of conficker not three weeks ago, so forgive me for being a bit gun shy. Before you ask no, it never actually hit the edit bays, and I scanned extensively). But I am using Avast, so I can control what is and is not active pretty well.

• 8. Re: Space Bar not responding during editting
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

It looks your systems are pretty clean. IIRC there very some reports about AVAST bogging down systems. Just to figure out where a possible solution may be, can you try to disable both Avast and OpenOffice to see if that helps reduce the latency. If so, it may make sense to consider Symantec Endpoint Protection (Enterprise Edition), but that is another discussion. First the latency problem.

• 9. Re: Space Bar not responding during editting
                        akribie Level 2

Fascinating thread.  Particularly in the speed with which the original problem was lost in system discussions.

Have you tried re-entering the keyboard shortcut?  Sometimes in my experience keyboard mapping can go awry, especially if you have a non-US keyboard.

Might not work, but cheaper than replacing systems or reconfiguring software, so worth a try

• 10. Re: Space Bar not responding during editting
                          jeremy d. Level 3

The original problem reads like a hardware issue. It seems like your system is thinking about something before it can playback in those instances.

Since the playback eventually starts using the spacebar, the shortcut itself is probably fine. I'd bet that if you wait, you'd find that the playback starts eventually.

akribie wrote:

Fascinating thread.  Particularly in the speed with which the original problem was lost in system discussions.

Have you tried re-entering the keyboard shortcut?  Sometimes in my experience keyboard mapping can go awry, especially if you have a non-US keyboard.

Might not work, but cheaper than replacing systems or reconfiguring software, so worth a try

• 11. Re: Space Bar not responding during editting
                            41NBC Engineer Level 1

It is a hardware issue. Harm was right on the money that I need upgrades, but as I explained there, upgrades are not an option. However, I used the thread he posted with the tuning suggestions and I managed to eliminate the problem in one bay. Short version is that it was a matter of overused resources, which given how little were in use is more than a little crazy. Now I just have to manage to copy the changes I made in that bay across the other three.

• 12. Re: Space Bar not responding during editting
                              davidbeisner2010 Level 3

I'll second Harm's voice that resources are probably your problem... however, I will also go farther and say that if you're willing to wait, you can do a lot with a system that isn't really "up to spec" for CS5. My primary system is a nice fast i7 with 12GB ram, GTX285 video card and six SATA 7200 hard drives (3disk RAID-0 for data) and it just cuts through heavy HD, including RED footage, like butter. However, I also have my second install of CS5 on my two-year-old laptop, running one of the original AMD Turion 64 bit processors, 4GB of ram, and a single 5400 RPM hard drive and integrated graphics. (Both systems running Win 7 Pro). Yes, I know it's woefully underpowered, and when cutting AVCHD I often experience the types of issues you describe here. However, it still runs, and it actually runs pretty well with HDV or DV footage. So while a fast edit bay is nice, it's not completely necessary!

• 13. Re: Space Bar not responding during editting
                                41NBC Engineer Level 1

Hey good to know I'm not the only one actually runnign the system underspeced

The trick is those tuning features - turning off stuff you don't need (btw AVAST has a LOT of tuning things that can be done in its menus. I turned off certain RT protections I just don't need (IM protection, etc). You'd be very surprised at how much you can lose and not lose anything.

• 14. Re: Space Bar not responding during editting
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Good to hear that this solved a major part of your issue.

I agree with you, tuning is absolutely essential for good performance. The difficulty often is where to start and some simple tips can sometimes help. Tuning is an on-going business and you need to constantly watch what newly installed updates/upgrades steal in resources from the CPU or memory.

And last, you don't need a top-of-the-bill system to edit happily. If you look at my remark about Randall's Rust Bucket here: http://ppbm5.com/News.html you will see that it often is more satisfactory to get a better BFTB score than ultimate performance at $$$.