6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2010 5:46 PM by Blastoseal

Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 hangs/freezes!

Richie McFly

I realize this may be a repeated topic but I wanted to get assistance regarding my specifications.

I am working with:

-Intel Core i7 @ 2.80Ghz

-Windows 7 64-bit

-6GB RAM

- MSI GeForce GTX 460 Fermi Hawk (N460GTX HAWK) Video Card

-I have a (Belkin) KVSwitch which has one (1) monitor, (1) mouse and keyboard, (1) speaker system, and (1) Lacie 1TB External, connected to it. For those who don't know a KVSwitch's main purpose is to allow two tower's to use one monitor and share other components as I've listed.

My machine is barely 2 months new and APPCS5 was working just fine until about 2 days ago. Here's what I've done so far:

- Downloaded the update patch via Adobe's website/installed it (5.0.2 I believe)

- And I also downloaded through APP (under Help > Updates) this basically means I downloaded/installed the update patch twice which it oddly didn't notice.

- I went into Firewall settings and allowed Premiere Pro itself and dynamiclinkmanager.exe (couldn't find the other components to allow according to this page here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/857/cpsid_85711.html meaning I could NOT find 'PProHeadless.exe')

My next step I guess would be to uninstall then REinstall APPCS5 (I have the Master Suite) but I don't how to do this. I can't find it to uninstall in my Programs list and Master Suite Installer is only that: an 'Installer'!

I have CCleaner which I used to clean the registry and do general clean up.

My suspicions/Things to note:

- This occurred around the time I downloaded some songs off the internet (silly supersition?)

- Depending on the project, I work with files either on an external HDD, or on the computers HDD, or both. Could my external be the culprit?

- Another thing I noticed is that Quicktime does NOT play my videos or any videos smoothly. Any connection here?

Right now it's not a matter big/small projects because the program itself is just not responding quickly or performing like it did the first month I had it. I have really tight deadlines and I'm doing everything I can within my abilities. That being said, I am by no means a computer tech type of person. I'm more creative and artsy so please dumb down your comments and tips for me, thank you so much.

If there's anything else you need to know about what I have/what I've done to make helping me that much easier, I will do my best to provide that.

PLEASE HELP. I AM DESPARATE AND MY CLIENTS ARE GETTING VERY IMPATIENT.

THANKS AGAIN.

**UPDATE: I just ran some Windows updates. I'll see if this makes any difference.

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 hangs/freezes!
          rejdmast1 Level 2

Do you have an image backup of your system disk?

That should get you back to where things were working.

If you don't, start backing up your system disk after you get things sorted out.

If you don't have an image backup, trying doing a system restore.  It might help.

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/678-creating-and-managing-windows-restore-points

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 hangs/freezes!
            JaysonM-Y Level 3

With the time it took for us to respond you'd pretty much have been able to wipe and reinstall the suite, Richie.... sorry.

- I went into Firewall settings and allowed Premiere Pro itself and dynamiclinkmanager.exe (couldn't find the other components to allow according to this page here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/857/cpsid_85711.html meaning I could NOT find 'PProHeadless.exe')

I just realized this was too serious a time to make a joke about this.

as far as seeing PProHeadless... http://forums.adobe.com/thread/748834 which is probably not what you want to hear.

My next step I guess would be to uninstall then REinstall APPCS5 (I have the Master Suite) but I don't how to do this. I can't find it to uninstall in my Programs list and Master Suite Installer is only that: an 'Installer'!

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/829/cpsid_82947.html

I'm not saying to do this, just that if you're in a really tight crunch and no one comes along with a better solution in a give estimate of an ok time for you..... then there's your link on how to uninstall cs5.

I have CCleaner which I used to clean the registry and do general clean up.

Tools that clean certain parts of your OS might cause more harm than good, tho I've never really had a problem with the way I use ccleaner.

- Another thing I noticed is that Quicktime does NOT play my videos or any videos smoothly. Any connection here?

Right now it's not a matter big/small projects because the program itself is just not responding quickly or performing like it did the first month I had it.

Is your OS disk almost full? Is premier set to write any form of data to your OS Disk? Have you installed any unneeded programs lately? The most efficient systems being with proper hardware, disk setup, fresh install of an os and nearly nothing but the Adobe software you're gonna use. In other words: a dedicated machine.

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 hangs/freezes!
              Richie McFly Level 1

Thanks, I'm not the most computer savvy but I think this is something I need to get acquainted with. Will do so when I figure this out! The problem is still persisting.

One thing I noticed is that my computer is not reading my external HD properly. When I plug it into my other computer it reads just fine. As I mentioned I run some projects off my external, could this be causing an issue?

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 hangs/freezes!
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You MAY have a hardware/motherboard problem... or a corrupted Windows registry

I can't really help, other than to say that when you have everything fixed and working properly, You should buy software to make a full backup of your hard drive to an external USB hard drive... which makes restoring very easy

The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm

Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore the image to a brand new drive and not have to re-install anything

Please note that I own no part of Image, and I don't get a referral fee (that is just a plain web link) but I use the program and it has saved me a LOT of trouble when I had a hard drive die... and I was able to restore everything and not have to re-install or re-activate a single program, from Windows on up

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 hangs/freezes!
                  Richie McFly Level 1

- Not sure how this http://forums.adobe.com/thread/748834 resolved my PPROHeadless.exe dilemma. Please "dumb it down" for me haha

- OS disk is not full. It is a 1TB drive I also have a 40GB and my external. Only other programs are the rest of CS5 (excluding AFX CS5 which won't install for some reason???), Vuze, iTunes (which I just removed from my system) and I think that's about it.

Yes this system was intended to be a dedicated video editing machine but since the whole creative suite is on there I would also utilize it for some graphic design.

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 hangs/freezes!  FIXED !
                    Blastoseal

Alrighty then ...

Same perplexing problem. Freezing for up to 20 secs at a time ( Hard freeze...  even the second hand  on my clock widget froze.) on importing plain vanilla SD AVI files (Firewire Cap).

Drove me nutz, tried all solutions posted her and elsewhere ... needless to say ...NO JOY!

Grrr...

THEN!!  I move my vid assets from my C: drive to another HD ( an internal SATA drive ) and BOOM!!!  Problem GONE!  Just like that!

In my case I traced the problem to the fact taht my C: drive was RAID 0.  Having finally discovered the problem ( and the sheer joy of seeing my footage run smooooothly in Premiere CS5 ). I reinstalled the RAID drivers for Win7-64 and BOOM  ....assets behave in Premiere normally from my RAID 0 C drive.

WHEEE!!!!

MY RAID happens to be Gigabyte's GRAID (shoulda gone with the Intel RAID ???  ..ah well).  Anyway hope this helps someone.  I know how frustrating this problem can be ....

Cheers !