7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2010 5:23 PM by JaysonM-Y

video faster than audio + very twitchy

InvokingRainbows

I am attempting to use footage I ripped from a DVD in adobe premiere pro. The video and audio is synched for a few seconds, then the video seems to speed up and gets un-synched. I have the following information on my footage file:

File Path: /Volumes/Mercury/Desktop/Episode 1 - Sailor Moon R2.mp4

Type: XDCAM-EX Movie

File Size: 297.9 MB

Image Size: 720 x 480

Pixel Depth: 32

Frame Rate: 29.97

Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - Stereo

Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo

Total Duration: 00;18;16;14

Average Data Rate: 278 KB / second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 0.8888 (0.9091)

Please help!

• 1. Re: video faster than audio + very twitchy
          JaysonM-Y Level 3

InvokingRainbows wrote:

Sailor Moon

I'm not even going to ask why....

InvokingRainbows wrote:

I am attempting to use footage I ripped from a DVD in adobe premiere pro. The video and audio is synched for a few seconds, then the video seems to speed up and gets un-synched.

Sailor Moon R2.mp4

What's your system specs?

Does it playback in sync in any external players or in the source monitor?

Is the clip in your timeline rendered?

Is there any specific reason why you ripped it as XDCAM-EX instead of MPEG2 or using the VOBs copied to an internal drive(preferably not C)?

• 2. Re: video faster than audio + very twitchy
            InvokingRainbows Level 1

How would I check my system specs?

Does it playback in sync in any external players or in the source monitor?

Yes in quicktime it plays back fine.

Is the clip in your timeline rendered?

I have tried rendering it and it still has the same errors.

Is there any specific reason why you ripped it as XDCAM-EX instead of MPEG2 or using the VOBs copied to an internal drive(preferably not C)?

my friend ripped it for me (I'd have to ask him) and it was originally an iso file, then I extracted the VOB file and converted it to mpeg using handbrake.

• 3. Re: video faster than audio + very twitchy
              Harm Millaard Level 7

If you don't know your system specs, this is very useful: http://www.piriform.com/speccy and just post a screenshot of the summary.

Your sequence settings are all wrong. Just import your VOB/MPG files into your project and drop one of those clips on the New Item icon at the bottom of the Project panel. TThat will automatically create a new sequence with the proper settings. This is a workaround, because you are much better off with using the original source material than ripped material.

• 4. Re: video faster than audio + very twitchy
                InvokingRainbows Level 1

OK well I tried to do what you said. Import the file and then drag it onto the 'new item' icon, but it wouldn't let me drag and drop it there. Am I doing something wrong? I am using the mac version of the program by the way. Also, here is a screen shot of my work space..maybe this could help.

note: when I clicked on the 'new item' button I just chose to create a new sequence in hopes that would do something. That is the item which is highlighted with the 'history' info blank at the bottom.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/InvokingRainbows/Screenshot2010-11-11at50339AM.png

• 5. Re: video faster than audio + very twitchy
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

The only logical explanation is that the ISO was not fully DVD compliant or the conversion by your friend messed things up. What stops you from asking the copyright owner for his original material. It will give you much better quality and a far easier editing experience.

• 6. Re: video faster than audio + very twitchy
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

How did you get an SD DVD rip into an HD file-based camera format?

• 7. Re: video faster than audio + very twitchy
                      JaysonM-Y Level 3

JSS1138 wrote:

How did you get an SD DVD rip into an HD file-based camera format?

Give me a few minutes not knowing what I'm doing and I'm pretty sure I can do the same...

As for the fact that I see 'Sailor Moon'(I'm a big fan btw ) is a matter that I think I best leave alone.... even tho I'm periodically touch it...

Try converting it( I bet it's about 22-25 minutes of footage) via Media Encoder to something else.. I'd stick to codecs meant for SD, Like DV/MPEG2 etc

Screen shot 2010-11-11 at 8.16.22 PM.pngScreen shot 2010-11-11 at 8.16.52 PM.png

And for Jim...

Screen shot 2010-11-11 at 8.18.54 PM.png

Quicktime is pretty limiting on Windows but on osx, it gives me almost limitless freedom to mess everything up..