2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2010 9:01 AM by Scott Carver

Stereo file panned to C and LFE in 5.1 mixdown?

redwards1953

We currently ingest several stereo streams from a PT rig via lightpipe into our Windows version of Audition.

We then pan the streams to L/R, C/LFE, and Ls/Rs, and produce a 2-byte packed integer multi-channel wav file, which we use as in Spot-On for playing out separate backing vocals, lead lines and tracks. We treat the interleaved 5.1 file format as 3 locked full bandwidth stereo tracks.

In the trial Mac version, It seems I'm able to pan the stereo streams L/R, or Ls/Rs but I want to place one stereo stream as left ch to centre, right channel to LFE. Is this still possible?

Incidentally, I agree that the loss of "Exctract audio from CD" and CD burning functions would prevent us changing to this version from it's windows cousin.

• 1. Re: Stereo file panned to C and LFE in 5.1 mixdown?
          Charles VW Adobe Employee

redwards1953 wrote:

We currently ingest several stereo streams from a PT rig via lightpipe into our Windows version of Audition.

We then pan the streams to L/R, C/LFE, and Ls/Rs, and produce a 2-byte packed integer multi-channel wav file, which we use as in Spot-On for playing out separate backing vocals, lead lines and tracks. We treat the interleaved 5.1 file format as 3 locked full bandwidth stereo tracks.

In the trial Mac version, It seems I'm able to pan the stereo streams L/R, or Ls/Rs but I want to place one stereo stream as left ch to centre, right channel to LFE. Is this still possible?

I want to make sure I have this straight.  You "ingest" several streams (I'm assuming recording 3 new stereo files simultaneously into audition).  You then pan the audio and save as a 16-bit (2-byte) 6-channel WAV file.  I'm assuming that you've been doing this in previous versions of Audition via the Multichannel Encoder.

In this beta, I'm assuming that you've tried to do this via the Multitrack with a 5.1 session.  I'm assuming you have 3 stereo tracks routed to a 5.1 master track.  In order to do what you're proposing, you'll probably want to split the C/LFE stereo stream into two mono streams (there's a number of ways to do this) and then just route them as two separate mono streams.  I can go into more detail if you'd like.

In the Editor, you could also just have an empty 6-channel interleaved WAV file (easy to make in Audition) and just paste the appropriate channels from your recorded streams into the appropriate channels in the 6-channel file.

Incidentally, I agree that the loss of "Exctract audio from CD" and CD burning functions would prevent us changing to this version from it's windows cousin.

For the "Extract audio from CD", you can still open tracks from a CD just by using the File > Open dialog.  Nothing special needed.

Thanks for the feedback, let me know if the above 5.1 workflow doesn't meet your needs.

• 2. Re: Stereo file panned to C and LFE in 5.1 mixdown?
            Scott Carver

You might also look at the Channel Mixer effect, which allows you to easily reroute and rearrange your channels. Try creating a 5.1 track, placing your stereo clip on it, and then using Channel Mixer as a track effect to route your channels as needed.

Scott C