8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2010 6:09 AM by wjordan1987

AE Crash on startup

wjordan1987

Error: Trying to open After affects and I keep receiving this message. Searched Google but failed to find anything.

after effects error: Crash in progress.

Last logged message was: <11584> <MCCodecSupportedDepthsToAEDepths> <5> 32:32 bit

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: AE Crash on startup
          TimeRemapper Level 4

What third party codecs/plug-ins do you have installed (if any)? What OS are you using? Are we talking about CS5? Have you ever launched the software without any issues, and if so, how did you change your setup since then?

• 2. Re: AE Crash on startup
            wjordan1987 Level 1

I don't have any plugins installed. I am using Windows 7. I've used this software plenty of times without any issues. I haven't used it in about a month and decided to play around in it this morning when I received this error message. Nothing setup has been changed to my knowledge.

• 3. Re: AE Crash on startup
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

As TimeRemapper asked, we need to know what version of After Effects you're using. Have you installed the most recent updates?

Becuase the crash message refers to a codec, it would be useful to know what codecs you're using in you source footage.

The more information you give, the more likely we are to be able to help you.

• 4. Re: AE Crash on startup
                TimeRemapper Level 4

*edit

Beat to the punch!

• 5. Re: AE Crash on startup
                  wjordan1987 Level 1

Oh sorry. I didn't see that question. Yes, I am using CS5. As far as what codecs I am using, I'm not sure how to answer that. I've downloaded the latest codecs for Quicktime and DivX. for have not downloaded any for AE. I assume by source footage you mean when I try in edit in after effects what extension is the footage. If you mean that, then its .mov and I use windows media player.

*Would you suggest restarting my computer to a time when it did work then trying to start it

• 6. Re: AE Crash on startup
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> have not downloaded any for AE

If the problem persists after you've installed the After Effects CS5 (10.0.1) update, let us know.

> I assume by source footage you mean when I try in edit in after effects what extension is the footage. If you mean that, then its .mov

A .mov (QuickTime movie) file is a container. We need to know what codecs are used by the video inside that container.

You mentioned DivX. I'm going to guess that some of your source files use the DivX codec. DivX is a delivery format; it's not meant to be edited. I don't know whether that's what's causing your problem, but it's not a good sign.

As I said, install the update and get back to us with information about whether you're still having problems.

• 7. Re: AE Crash on startup
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Warren,

If you are going to cross-post your question to many different forums,  please do everyone the favor of updating each thread with the  information that you're getting on those other forums. It's very hard to  track a conversation scattered across numerous websites.
                      • 8. Re: AE Crash on startup
                        wjordan1987 Level 1

Ok, sorry. I only did that on two forums because I was not sure of the response I would get from either one. But thanks for letting me know. The issue is solved. I did a clean uninstall of the program and reinstalled it.