3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2010 10:55 AM by Steve Grisetti

iPad

MarkThomasGreene

What are the optimal settings for play on an iPad? I am inputting an H.264 720x480 file. All I need to do is trim it, but every output setting I have tried results in lower quality than the original image. Thanks!

• 1. Re: iPad
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I would recommend using Share/Portable Devices/iPod. (Of course, it might help if you told us which settings you've tried.)

You can also go to this output area and click the Advanced button. On the option screen that opens, you can raise the quality level to 100%. Of course, how good the output quality is depends a lot on what kind of device your original footage came from and how closely you matched your Premiere Elements project settings to this video format.

• 2. Re: iPad
            MarkThomasGreene Level 1

Thanks very much for the help. I did start with the iPod default setting and have worked from there. The input file is captured from a TiVo to a DVD recorder. File properties are 720x480, depth 32, rate 29.97, audio 48kHz, avg. data rate 368, aspect ratio 0.9091. Again, all I'm trying to do is trim it. I've managed to clear up the image pretty well, but it appears as reduced size in a black box in spite of output settings 720x480, 29.97, level 3.1, max depth box checked, VBR 2 pass, target 2.4Mbps, max 14 Mbps.

I'm not sure what you mean by "setting quality level to 100%."

Again, I really appreciate any advice you can offer.

• 3. Re: iPad
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The quality level is in the advanced settings. You get to it by clicking on the Advanced button the the Share/Portable Devices/iPod page.

Although I'm not sure it will make all that much difference, if you're working from Tivo or DVR files. That type of video has some unique challenges, and it generally doesn't produce good quality video in Premiere Elements.

You may want to look online for video editors and processors made specifically to work with this type of video. There aren't many but, as there is now some demand for it, you may be able to find some niche programmers working on apps for it.

Sorry I can't be of more help.