3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2007 6:16 AM by MergeThis

RH5 information types make TOC crash

shanti10 Level 1
      I added 2 information types into RH 5. After adding the appropriate information type to each topic but not to a book, I experienced the following:

1. The books continued to display after compiling the online help. This is after I customized the compiled version. The topics did not display.
      2. When I now click on a topic in the TOC, the actual topic no longer displays in the right pane in RH. For some reason RH no longer displays the contents of a topic unless I click on the Topics tab as a workaround and then click on the actual file name.
      3. After I close the RH and then re-open it, the TOC is a total mess.

I finally used the .hhp file to regenerate the TOC but without the coding for the information typing. That seems to stabilise the TOC. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
        • 1. Re: RH5 information types make TOC crash
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
          Welcome to the forum.

You'll have to wait for the USA to wake up. I believe RoboWizard, our senior statesman, comes on line. I believe he has posted before that this feature was never properly implemented.
          • 2. Re: RH5 information types make TOC crash
            RoboWizard Level 4
            Hi all

Yeah, it's way early here in the US. 3:22 AM. Bad night in a hotel room, but I digress...

Peter is spot on. Information Types is indeed a feature that was started, but never completed by Microsoft. I've played with them a bit several years ago. Had limited success. Haven't tried them in recent RoboHelp versions though. Wouldn't surprise me if something about them got munged in a later version of RoboHelp. Actually, shanti10 is about the only post I can recall in many years related to Information Types.

Cheers all... Rick
            • 3. Re: RH5 information types make TOC crash
              MergeThis Level 4
              I had tested the use of Information Types a few years ago (with X5.0.2), but my use of merged WebHelp would have required the user to select their related type (Yes or No) from every child project. Yikes!

However, I never experienced any TOC maladies from it. Sorry we can't help further, but as Rick said, maybe no one is using them at all.

If you have a good rapport with your developers, you might talk to them about providing multiple Help versions and having the product provide access to specific Help based on user privileges.

Good luck,
              Leon