• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What do I need to product online help for software in the cloud?

Nov 11, 2010 Nov 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our application is being moved into the cloud. All our on-line help and other documentation has been developed using RoboHelp for Word. We do have version 8, but have not converted any of the documents.

Do I need any special tools, or can I still use RoboHelp for Word (converting all to the new version).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2010 Nov 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends a bit on what you mean by cloud, what your output is and whether your output is changing.

By 'cloud' I assume you mean served over the internet. (Just want to be sure - don't ask what 'bubbles' are at my work...)

For example, WinHelp is very old and not supported by Microsoft any more. I don't think it will work in the cloud (over the internet). Pretty much ditto for chms (MS HTML Help).

Webhelp should work, but for this output, editing in RoboHelp HTML would be better as that is already in HTML and therefore doesn't need the (possibly dodgy) conversion from a Word document.

I'm not sure what the process is for converting RoboHelp Word to RoboHelp HTML within the same version, let alone between different versions. Maybe someone else on the forum can help with this bit.

So probably you could stay with RHWord, assuming it has the output you need (I don't use this and my copy refuses to open today...), but it may not be the 'best' option.

Amber

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 18, 2010 Nov 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Amber.

Our software will be offered over the internet. We used WinHelp 2000 and RoboHelp for Word (we were converting all to version 8).

I hope someone else from the forum can help me with instructions on how to convert all our projects from RH for Word into RH HTML. We have about 6295 topics distributed into 15 modules (projects) not including the master project.

I do have some carry-on issues with all my projects, and never found a solution. The strange thing is that some topics are corrupted at random whenever I add new topics or edit old ones. This happens after re-compiling the project. I found that I had to go back to the corrupted topics, delete the hidding codes, and re-create the topic. It really took double and some times triple the amount of time wasted on re-doing work, Not to mention the lost mappings, etc.

We ended up re-doing the projects trying to minimized the number of topics.

I truly hope someone is out there that can help.

Esperanza

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Give this a try.

Upgrade a project into RoboHelp 8. Of course this is done by simply using RoboHelp 8 to open the project. And it should go without saying that you should always maintain a backup copy just in case...

After you open the project in RoboHelp 8, click Tools > Update DHTML Effects in Topics.

See if that helps cure anything.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also make sure that you're fully patched up to 8.0.2.0208 before opening the old project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp