16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2010 6:07 AM by louislucien1234

MAC OSX Burning Blu-Ray to Folder NOT SUPPORTED

louislucien1234 Level 1

Hi,

This is a problem as Mac cannot have a Blu Ray Burner !

The only solution for a mac user is to build a Blu ray Folder and then Burn it on a PC (his or friends PC) as you can do it with TOAST or Premiere PRO for example.

It is also possible and supported by most BluRay reader and also playstation 3 to burn a DVD (with size limitation) and read it as a bluray disc that is FULL HD reading.

The Phantom turnaraound that is mounting a fake virtual BD Burner is only for Windows.

Do you know of a turnararound for MAC to build Blu Ray in a folder ???

Is there a way to hack the presets as this is certainly a marketing restriction, as not technical problem exists ???

Why is this restricted in elements 9 and is AVAILABLE in Premiere PRO that I cannot afford to buy ???

Dear Adobe, I love Premiere elements 9, this is the only product on Mac that enable NATIVE support of AVCHD with success, it is easy to use and has very good performances, but how can I use it without beeing able to burn Blu ray Disks ??? There is a huge market there as other products needs to convert AVCHD using lots of disks memory and conversion time uselessly,  but you need to provide Mac users with BluRay Burning to a folder, please....

Best Regards

• 1. Re: MAC OSX Burning Blu-Ray to Folder NOT SUPPORTED
          A.T. Romano Level 7

louislucien1234

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Filing an "Adobe Bug" report is one way to make your comments known to Adobe. However, for a long time, many wanted Premiere Elements to be available as a 64 bit application. That was probably more in demand than the burn to folder for Blu-ray. Yet, in spite of all that talk among users, Premiere Elements 9 is still a 32 bit, not 64 bit, application, and Adobe major change for the user was making Premiere Elements Mac available for the first time for version 9.

For your sake, I hope that one of the Mac users here at this forum has discovered a Phantom Burner type program to use as a route for Premiere Elements 9 Mac burn to folder and that this person will share that information with us. I do not believe there is such a program, but....

ATR

• 2. Re: MAC OSX Burning Blu-Ray to Folder NOT SUPPORTED
            louislucien1234 Level 1

Hi,

thank your for your response; I think mac users will not like advertisement about burning Bluray not fullfilled by the product, on windows it does if you have a "compatible" blue ray burner.

A few hours or days is what would be needed to fullfill this requirement, i challenge anyone to prove that it is not the case, and I have done programs in lots of languages for 40 years, nothing to be compared with 64 bits compatibility.

This may be a matter of politics to push people to buy premiere pro, but you never know, may be Adobe will wake up.

Best regards

• 3. Re: MAC OSX Burning Blu-Ray to Folder NOT SUPPORTED
              louislucien1234 Level 1

Hi again,

By the way ATR are you the same ATR that is on elements village ??? do you work with adobe ???

Best regards

• 4. Re: MAC OSX Burning Blu-Ray to Folder NOT SUPPORTED
                louislucien1234 Level 1

Hi

This is from the authoring SDK from SONIC that is used to burn Blu Ray disc in premiere elements

You will see that it will burn a disk image prepared by Premiere or TO A FOLDER OR FILE, this demonstrate that blocking the access to the disc image is a determinate policy, not a technical problem.

By the way Sonic supports also AVCHD DVD writing

So what.....

1.3  Key Capabilitiesgo:  top

AuthorScript BDMV is a comprehensive BDMV  solution, incorporating the functionality needed for each of the four  main stages involved in the production process:

• Authoring — creating a structure for a project (i.e. Index, Movie Objects,  PlayLists, PlayItems, Clips, Streams), populating that structure with  references to media (video, audio, and stills), and defining navigation.
                • Multiplexing — combining referenced source asset streams into the HDMV MPEG-2 transport stream format required for BDMV playback.
                • Formatting — arranging  all of the presentation content and navigation information into a file  and directory structure ("disc image") readable by hardware and software  BDMV or AVCHD players.
                • Writing — recording a BDMV  or AVCHD disc image to recordable (BD-R) or rewritable (BD-RE) Blu-ray  Disc media, or to a folder or file. Recording AVCHD to DVD media  (DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW) is also supported.

Best Regards

• 5. Re: MAC OSX Burning Blu-Ray to Folder NOT SUPPORTED
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

louislucien

Yes, I am a moderator at the Elements Village Premiere Elements Forum and visit this forum at the Adobe web site when I am over this way.

No, I do not work for Adobe, nor am I affliated with it in any way...no relatives there either. I am just a user like yourself, and my problem is that I can never find a Premiere Elements question or issue that I could turn my back on. I work from what works for me and from what I have read and try to make a distinction between the two. I have been working with the versions for several years now...Photoshop Elements as well as Premiere Elements.

Since our discussions started today, I am not sure how much experience you have had with Premiere Elements 9 and earlier versions. I am guessing that you are getting to know the program. I will find your results and reports interesting since you are working with Premiere Elements 9 Mac, the first version of Premiere Elements to be available for the Mac. I am a PC person. If you have not already, check out the Share/Disc/Bluray to see how that works for you, using a rewritable type disc. Then worry about the burn to folder (Bluray). Also, explore the AVCHD DVD that gossamer and H. Schaub labored to put together. For the one thing (burn to folder Bluray) that the program does not offer, you may find many other features that you might want and need. By the way, I am not affliated with Adobe Marketing and am not trying to sell you the product. If it does not meet your needs, then move on to Brand X.

I will be looking forward to your results, reports, and progress here and/or Elements Village.

Please let me know if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: MAC OSX Burning Blu-Ray to Folder NOT SUPPORTED
                    louislucien1234 Level 1

Hi ATR

Thank's a lot for the time you spent to try and provide an anwer to my problem.

I am new to premiere, i like it, i used a lot iMovie and tryed FCE, I also uses on PC Sony Vegas and pinnacle 12.

I switched to mac for a breath of air as I used to earn my living by programming with windows and I did want some fresh air.

iMac and macbook pro are really astonishing, difficult to go back to PC...

premiere pro (too expensive) and elements 9 are the first editor to use avchd natively ON MAC that is a big difference, so I will use it from now on.

I am just really angry that someone decided that Burning to folder will not be offered because it does exists on premiere pro as it is standard in the SONIC SDK that is used by Adobe and that may be a incentive to buy premiere pro. i can assure you that technically this is very simple to unlock.

You can find the Sonic SDK documentation in the Adobe Premier Application Directory....

I did a wishlist report at adobe site as you invited me to do.

Thank you again and Best Regards.

• 7. Re: MAC OSX Burning Blu-Ray to Folder NOT SUPPORTED
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not know what the reason that Burn to Folder and also Burn Image (ISO), are not in PrE for BD. They have both been available in Adobe Encore (the authoring app, that ships and installs with PrPro) since CS3, and continue through CS5.

Just a guess would be that since the entire Sonic AuthorCore is licensed from Sonic, that those functions would cost Adobe more $. In PrPro/Encore, that is probably more easily amortized, than it would be in PrE, where a few $'s does matter in the marketplace. Remember, that is but a guess on my part, and there could well be some coding issue, that is unknown to me.

I agree with ATR that a Feature Request/Bug Report is the way to get to Adobe. They take those very seriously, and there could well be an easy fix (without breaking anything else), that Adobe can enact, if they know that it's a feature that many want. As of PrE7, many here have bemoaned the lack of Burn to Folder for BD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: MAC OSX Burning Blu-Ray to Folder NOT SUPPORTED
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

You say that the Adobe Bug Report is taken seriously by Adobe.

What was the latest change(s) that Adobe made that were directly related to comments in those Bug Reports?

I prefer to stick to troubleshooting and keep out of Adobe Development's business, but....

ATR

• 9. Re: MAC OSX Burning Blu-Ray to Folder NOT SUPPORTED
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, almost all of the updates to PrPro CS4 came directly from Bug Reports, as did the CS5.1 upgrade. The PrE 7.0.1 update was based on many, plus several surveys that Adobe ran, to correct issues with graphics card drivers. Sometimes, the Bugs do not get addressed in updates, and it will not be until the next upgrade, before they are fixed. Some do not seem to get fixed, and do linger for several versions. My guess would be that those were not easy fixes, and Adobe was not able to correct them.

Same thing for Feature Requests, though I seem to be batting pretty poorly in that department. Still, Adobe takes both very seriously. There is a lot of reporting on the processes by Adobe employees in the PrPro forum. Often, they have even offered the priority list, and given hints on what is being worked on, also acknowledging that the reports have gone to the lab for additional work. With proper info and documentation, the reports go into a queue, and are addressed as quickly, as is possible. What some fail to realize is that some of the fixes might go a lot deeper, than one would imagine. I've seen some "fixes," that did break something else, and that is never good. A good example of this was the change in the Adobe Media Encoder in CS4. Many users wanted the ability to set up an Export Queue, and allow that to work behind the scenes, while going back to editing in PrPro. Adobe retooled AME and provided many of the often requested features - but then they found out that the simple Export of a still Frame was now a real task with the new AME. It was finally addressed and fixed in CS4.2.

Even with great QC, tons of beta testing and a lot of experts working on development, things do slip past the scrutiny, and that is where the Bug Reports come in handy.

Things probably take a different timeline with PrE, since the release schedule is about 1 year, where PrPro is on an ~ 18 mo. schedule. That probably explains why there are usually more updates for PrPro, than for PrE. I believe that PrE 10 is about to go to beta in the very near future. I have not heard of a development schedule for PrPro CS6, but would assume that development is on-going already. [Hope that a few of my Feature Requests finally make it in there... ]

Just my observations,

Hunt

• 10. Re: MAC OSX Burning Blu-Ray to Folder NOT SUPPORTED
                            louislucien1234 Level 1

Hi,

I connected a PC with Blu-ray burner to my iMac, and configure the DVD Sharing facility between Mac and Windows.

( I used because imac is not Mac BookAir:

defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser EnableODiskBrowsing -bool true
                            defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser ODSSupported -bool true)

DVD drive appears all right in Finder. and I can read it.

Premiere elements 9 do not see the drive...

So I have a DVD Drive connected to my iMac and Premiere Elements cannot see it.

I am not sure that if I buy a USB BD Burner, it will be seen by Premiere elements .... Does anybody did used ON MAC with success an external USB BD Burner with premiere elements ?

best regards

PS. By the way i have TOAST (which uses also SONIC), it can burn Blu-ray to Folders, and then you can burn it on a PC, Unfortunatly you have to reencode your .m2t file from premiere elements so loss of time and may be of quality . (the argument of cost of licence is then not credible as toast is less expensive that premiere elements, it is certainly a political marketing decision)

TOAST can also burn "Blu-Ray" to a Standard or double DVD with 20-30 or  40-60 minutes of 1080i footage around 18.5Mb/s than can be read for  example on a Playstation 3. It is a blu-ray structure, not an AVCHD one.

• 11. Re: MAC OSX Burning Blu-Ray to Folder NOT SUPPORTED
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Isn't Toast just an authoring app? Does it also do editing?

As for the failure of PrE to "see" the burner, this ARTICLE might be useful. Most of the direct issues are with PC's, but might also translate to the Mac. I just do not know.

That Toast can find the burner, while PrE cannot, could well be the level that Toast connects to the burner. PrE (and all Adobe programs that burn) connects at the OS-level, and gets all of its info from the OS. Toast might connect at the hardware-level, like ImgBurn, and does not care what the OS thinks the burner is. That can make all the difference in the world.

As far as costs vs functions, unless Sonic and Adobe open their licensing info, we may never know.

For complete authoring to DVD/BD, the ultimate solution is Sonic's Scenarist, but do not know if they sell a Mac version. For BD, there are two other, similar programs, that are in the same price range.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: MAC OSX Burning Blu-Ray to Folder NOT SUPPORTED
                                louislucien1234 Level 1

Hi,

Thank you for your response,

Toast can only trim clips and have all the function you need around converting and burning video and music.

Toast also cannot see the driver, I think the "invisibility" of the BD for burning across an ethernet Network is obvious because SONIC SDK works a a low interface level, this is except if you have server to server connexion like with toastAnywhere that unfortunatly does not exists under windows.

Sonic's Scenarist ! can you aford it ? but event with that there is not direct encoding from the project description/rushs to final video file, you have to encode to a file from the project to the authoring and then reencode from the video file to the BD folder so more waiting and one more generation and you know that H264 encoding is dectructive, even Apple intermadiate Codecs are. So a soution like Encore (too expensive for me) or Premiere Elements 9 (that uses Encore without saying it in fact) is perfect, one generation only from the project/rushs to the final BF folder.

Remember I am not a professional,it's just a hobby for me. If I was I would use Final Cut Pro suite and do not care about the hundreds of gigabyte needed by Apple Pro Codec conversion and buy a 8 processor Mac Pro with some Terabytes.

I agree that if you shoot HD then wants to write a DVD nobody cares about the loss of quality.

But if you shoot with a small camera at 18Mb/s and you want a blue ray you need not to loose any pixel.

Premiere elements 9 is the first editor/authoring on MAC that can use AVCHD 1080i material without  converting to Apple Intermediate Codec, you gain a lot in spending Gigabytes for nothing, and may be also some quality. I love it very much, this is why I am angry that a feature that is advertise by Adobe "You can Burn Blu-Ray" cannot be easyly implemented.

On PC I uses Sony Vegas and Pinacle, but my imac is 27 inch screen 4 processor and 8Mb Memory, so much easy and faster to use even compare to my quad core 4Mb PC which have a lot smaller screen and is less responsive, Unix is good for video, and lot less problems, no crashes, no virus, no fragmentation, no drivers authorised to modify kernel like in the ARTICLE you mention.

I know this is the first version for Mac, so Apple may be did not noticed how important was a burning to folder facilty for Mac Users, they product is a masterpiece spoiled by a not well tighten small screw. I hope they will react fast before we are more than 10 users on mac Wordwide.

Thank you again and Best Regards

• 13. Re: MAC OSX Burning Blu-Ray to Folder NOT SUPPORTED
                                  louislucien1234 Level 1

Hi,

Thank you for your response,

Toast can only trim clips and have all the function you need around converting and burning video and music.

Toast also cannot see the driver, I think the "invisibility" of the BD for burning across an ethernet Network is obvious because SONIC SDK works a a low interface level, this is except if you have server to server connexion like with toastAnywhere that unfortunatly does not exists under windows.

Sonic's Scenarist ! can you aford it ? but event with that there is not direct encoding from the project description/rushs to final video file, you have to encode to a file from the project to the authoring and then reencode from the video file to the BD folder so more waiting and one more generation and you know that H264 encoding is dectructive, even Apple intermadiate Codecs are. So a soution like Encore (too expensive for me) or Premiere Elements 9 (that uses Encore without saying it in fact) is perfect, one generation only from the project/rushs to the final BF folder.

Remember I am not a professional,it's just a hobby for me. If I was I would use Final Cut Pro suite and do not care about the hundreds of gigabyte needed by Apple Pro Codec conversion and buy a 8 processor Mac Pro with some Terabytes.

I agree that if you shoot HD then wants to write a DVD nobody cares about the loss of quality.

But if you shoot with a small camera at 18Mb/s and you want a blue ray you need not to loose any pixel.

Premiere elements 9 is the first editor/authoring on MAC that can use AVCHD 1080i material without  converting to Apple Intermediate Codec, you gain a lot in spending Gigabytes for nothing, and may be also some quality. I love it very much, this is why I am angry that a feature that is advertise by Adobe "You can Burn Blu-Ray" cannot be easyly implemented.

On PC I uses Sony Vegas and Pinacle, but my imac is 27 inch screen 4 processor and 8Mb Memory, so much easy and faster to use even compare to my quad core 4Mb PC which have a lot smaller screen and is less responsive, Unix is good for video, and lot less problems, no crashes, no virus, no fragmentation, no drivers authorised to modify kernel like in the ARTICLE you mention.

I know this is the first version for Mac, so Apple may be did not noticed how important was a burning to folder facilty for Mac Users, they product is a masterpiece spoiled by a not well tighten small screw. I hope they will react fast before we are more than 10 users on mac Wordwide.

Thank you again and Best Regards

• 14. Re: MAC OSX Burning Blu-Ray to Folder NOT SUPPORTED
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for the info on Toast. I have never used it, and really have no experience, or prior knowledge.

As for PrE and Encore, there are common elements (various Sonic modules), but they are totally different programs. PrE has rudimentary authoring capabilities, and relies on semi-automation to complete some of those. Encore is a full-featured authoring (only) program, and has little automation, beyond the abstraction layer to the Sonic modules. Personally, I would never be satisfied with the authoring in PrE, but am doing commercial work, so much more is expected. I am so glad to also have Encore, as it is my go-to authoring app, and is used extensively. The one big limitation is that Encore is now ONLY available with PrPro, which is my NLE of choice. I have urged Adobe to bring it back as a stand-alone, but with the interface to AE and PrPro, through ADL (Adobe Dynamic Link), I think that it would take much work to re-code it, without ADL. Doubt that we'll ever see it sold separately again.

As for Scenarist, I have wanted for so very little, that Encore doesn't provide, that I have never been tempted. Were I doing commercial BD production, then things would be different, but I'd need the work to amortize that expenditure. In between, there is DVDStudio Pro, but I'm not sure if it's X-platform. I also do not know if the newer versions offer full BD production capabilities. Due to the inherent design specs. of BD, I am not sure that are that many, truly full-featured BD authoring apps out there - unless one is doing high-end, commercial BD work, and for clients with very deep pockets. This will be, IMHO, another reason that Encore will never be a stand-alone program again.

I agree that if you shoot HD then wants to write a DVD nobody cares about the loss of quality. But if you shoot with a small camera at 18Mb/s and you want a blue ray you need not to loose any pixel.

Unfortunately, this can never happen. One has the choice of using MPEG-HD, or H.264. Both are compressed CODEC's, so some quality loss is inevitable. Encore CS5 has added AVCHD BD, but there is a limitation on the equipment that will play it. The closest that one can come to getting non-compressed, or lightly-compressed BD is to Export in something like UT, or Lagarith, and to burn a BD-Data, to play the files on a computer. Depending on the equipment, that stream can then be fed to an HD projector, or to an HD TV for viewing, but that is a different animal, and not something that will play on most BD players.

I love it very much, this is why I am angry that a feature that is advertise by Adobe "You can Burn Blu-Ray" cannot be easyly implemented.

For the vast majority of users, this is very possible and very easy. It depends on one's equipment, the setup and not having software that gets in the way.

Unix is good for video, and lot less problems, no crashes, no virus, no fragmentation, no drivers authorised to modify kernel like in the ARTICLE you mention.

Not even sure if Sonic Scenarist is ported for UNIX, but perhaps. I know that no Adobe NLE, or authoring app is ported of LINUX, but just do not know about Scenarist, or the other likely heavy-duty BD authoring apps. Maybe others can offer suggestions on something for UNIX?

Maybe I am missing something, but why not just add a BD with a direct connection, rather than fight through a network? There must be many BD burners that will plug right into the Mac, and work quite well. If one had a free SATA controller connection, that would be the route that I would pursue.

Sorry that I could not provide any help, but good luck. I know that Steve Grisetti, the MOD here, runs PrE 9 on at least one Mac (I think he has two), and he's not had any issues. I only assume that he's doing BD production with PrE on at least one of his Mac's. Maybe he'll have some useful tips.

Hunt

• 15. Re: MAC OSX Burning Blu-Ray to Folder NOT SUPPORTED
                                      nealeh Level 5

louislucien1234 wrote:

I know this is the first version for Mac, so Apple may be did not noticed how important was a burning to folder facilty for Mac Users, they product is a masterpiece spoiled by a not well tighten small screw.

I'm assuming you mean Adobe in this quote. Be aware that Blu-Ray burn to folder is not a Mac only limitation. It's not available on PC either.

Cheers,
                                      --
                                      Neale
                                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 16. Re: MAC OSX Burning Blu-Ray to Folder NOT SUPPORTED
                                        louislucien1234 Level 1

Hi

Thank you for tour response

I Knows but There is phantom on pc as a turnaround, i did ont find any program to make believe éléments That an image is a burner

Best regards

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 15 nov. 2010 à 12:56, nealeh <forums@adobe.com> a écrit :

in this quote. Be aware that Blu-Ray burn to folder is not a Mac only limitation. It's not available on PC either.