• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gaussian Blur in Photoshop CS5 Corrupting files

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2010 Nov 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We just got brand new systems at work less than a month ago and this event has happened twice since then. When using Photoshop CS5 Extended and using Gaussian blur the file becomes blocky and all layers as well as their masks become corrupted with these blocks. Can anyone help or is there any advice?

Here are my system specs...

Model Name:    Mac Pro
  Model Identifier:    MacPro5,1
  Processor Name:    6-Core Intel Xeon
  Processor Speed:    2.66 GHz
  Number Of Processors:    2
  Total Number Of Cores:    12
  L2 Cache (per core):    256 KB
  L3 Cache (per processor):    12 MB
  Memory:    16 GB
  Processor Interconnect Speed:    6.4 GT/s
  Boot ROM Version:    MP51.007F.B00
  SMC Version (system):    1.39f11
  SMC Version (processor tray):    1.39f11

Christmas LIVE Ad (original).jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Ok, try disabling all third party plugins and try again.

After that, try disabling the extension plugins, and try again.

If this was a widespread problem, I think we'd be hearing about it from more users.

So my guess is that it is something to do with your system or configuration.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 227 Replies 227

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't seen that before, but it looks a bit like an OpenGL drawing issue.

Could you try disabling OpenGL drawing in preferences, restart, and try again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tired disabling the OpenGL and no luck, the file still looks the same. Is this a prevention for further probelms or a solve on this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, try disabling all third party plugins and try again.

After that, try disabling the extension plugins, and try again.

If this was a widespread problem, I think we'd be hearing about it from more users.

So my guess is that it is something to do with your system or configuration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we don't have any third party plugins installed. I will try and disable the current plugins and see if that fixes the problem. When it's happened it's pretty random so having all of the plugins disabled for a long period of time is cumbersome.  Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boilerplate-text:

As with all unexplainable Photoshop-problems you might try trashing the prefs (after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved and making a note of the Preferences you’ve changed) by pressing command-alt-shift on starting the program or starting from a new user-account.

System Maintenance (repairing permissions, purging PRAM, running cron-scripts, cleaning caches, etc.) might also be beneficial, Onyx has been recommended for such tasks.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/onyx.html

Can you reproduce the issue or is it totally random?

Apart from that, but Mr.Cox naturally understands more about it than I do, could it be bad RAM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2010 Nov 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is a very random event. Happend twice now in the last month and 1/2. Thanks for the advice, I will try these out as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2010 Nov 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this same issue - or a similar one. It seems to only happen when I run the Gaussian blur command, and during the same process in my workflow. It also seems for me to happen when I have made a selection from a layer above that is a smart object.

Let me describe the scenario that I have experienced a couple times in the past week. (BTW I just upgraded to CS5 only a couple weeks ago).

Usually I have a document open with dozens or hundreds of layers. The effect that I am executing when this seems to happen is where I have a group of shapes or placed image smart object layer and I'm creating a shadow layer by making a blank layer below said group or image, making a selection from the above group or image, and then filling the selection in the blank layer with a color - which I then run the Gaussian blur filter on, and afterward warp transform to get my realistic looking shadow effect.

But the problem is in seemingly random instances and on seemingly random documents when I run that Gaussian blur, Photoshop freaks out and craps the bed. And by craps the bed I mean deletes pixel data from multiple layers in my document very randomly, and also generates odd bright colors all throughout the document.

You can see the initial freak out in this screen shot from when I just initially selected the Gaussian blur filter from the menu (but had not yet even clicked "OK"): http://cl.ly/3KTx . The strange thing is that I had just run this series of steps on the above layer which in the screen shot you'll see as "Layer 44", and all was well.

Here's a screen shot showing the file after I closed it out, restarted Photoshop, and opened the file back up: http://cl.ly/3K2C . In case you can't tell, data from several layers all over the file is missing and corrupted.

I'm sure I don't have to explain how exasperating this is, as this represents more than a year's worth of work on a client project, no joke. Fortunately I'm mostly done with the actual site build, but that makes the loss of the artwork files of no less consquence - especially seeing as how I'm not ACTUALLY finished and I did in fact need all of that data to complete the project.

Anyhow, some additional details which may or may not be related to the issue:

- The issue seems to happen randomly. As stated above the same steps did not produce the error just a few minutes before.

- I have had this issue with another file this week where I was doing the same processes on another shape.

- It seems that this is occuring when I make the selection from a layer that is a smart object of some type

- I also noticed artifacts in the weird colors (after I tried running the processes again, so not in the above screenshot) that were actually design elements from an entirely different document that I was working with earlier this evening.

- I have filed a bug report.

Dunno what else to describe, but I hope you guys can get this figured out, seriously. I paid way too much for my upgrade to CS5 to have bugs in key software features corrupt my files thank you.

Also, in regards to my system...

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro4,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz

Number Of Processors: 2

Total Number Of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache (per processor): 8 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s

Boot ROM Version: MP41.0081.B07

SMC Version (system): 1.39f5

SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f5

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 120

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0640

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: 3386

Displays:

Display Connector:

LED Cinema Display:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Connection Type: DisplayPort

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 20, 2010 Nov 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, we really need some way to reproduce the problem more reliably so we can test it.

I'd suggest removing or disabling the extension plugins (and certainly all third party plugins) -- but we can't be sure the problem is gone without steps to reproduce it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris: I don't use any extensions or third party plugins at all. This is all just Photoshop man.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop comes with extension plugins (look in the plugins folder).  It would be nice to determine if those are related to the problem or not, but to do that we need a reproduceable case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I've gotten the issue on both my MacPro at my home office, and my MacBookPro that take when I go to our company office.

If it helps I'd be happy to share the corrupted file that I got the issue on. It seems that now that the file is corrupted I'm getting the same issue when I run that command again in the same way. (more colors and artifacts) But the file is over 600MB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's another lead: I think the issue happens for me when I have created a  masked double line (draw horizontal line with pencil tool, alt+nudge to duplicate and offset the next line by about 4 pixels to replicate the css rule for "border:4px double #anycolor;", then combine the two line layers with cmd+E into one layer, and then mask off a portion of the line).

In both instances this week where I experienced this error, each of the files I was working with had such a layer I had just created.

And further, I was able to find a duplicate copy of the file that was corrupted last night in my trash can because I just happened to copy this file a couple weeks ago onto my external hard drive to take with my to California on a trip. I recovered that version from my trash, and started making the same mods that I was going last night - save the double line step. Now I was not able to reproduce the error. So perhaps that masked double line is a factor?? IDK...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2010 Nov 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem, where a multilayer file (about 8 layers) has been so badly corrupted that almost nothing is left and before closing it, flattening produced a bizarre pattern of teselated colour and pattern. when I restarted pscs5 and re-opened the file, most of the image data had disappeared. this is very worrying. although my file does include some gaussian blur, layers that have not had this applied are also affected. my file includes no strokes etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it exactly the same in that the cause is directly related to Gaussian Blur?

Or just that the file has become corrupted? (which can be caused by many, many things)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, is everyone experiencing this issue on Photoshop CS5 for Mac?

That's where I'm getting the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2010 Dec 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiya - just to say I've had exactly the same problem in CS5 - I was creating a file with about 6 layers, and applied a layer mask to a couple of the layers, suddenly it freaked out and put coloured blocks and random parts of the image everywhere on all the layers. I wasn't doing anything specific. It had different blocks of of the image in either C M Y or K and has now corrupted the file. I couldn't select and delete these blocks at all. Not sure if this helps at all but perhaps not.

I'm running Extended Photoshop CS5 on a OS X 10.6.5.

Deni James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 09, 2010 Dec 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiya - just to say I've had exactly the same problem in CS5 - I was creating a file with about 6 layers, and applied a layer mask to a couple of the layers, suddenly it freaked out and put coloured blocks and random parts of the image everywhere on all the layers.

The "exact same issue" would require that the problem was caused when you used Gaussian Blur.

Lot of things can cause image corruption: bad RAM, bad hard disk, bad GPU, video card driver bugs, etc.

Also, are you running Photoshop CS5 12.0.2, or a previous build?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2010 Dec 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "exact same issue" would require that the problem was caused when you used Gaussian Blur.

C'mon Chris, cut us some slack here. Please take your "software programmer" hat off for a second and try to see through the lenses of "average photoshop user". We're giving you the best input we can here, so try to take the bits we are sharing and use your best Sherlock Holmes deduction skills... 🙂

So obviously the issue we are all complaining about and trying to report is the way Photoshop is corrupting the files with big randomized colored blocks and missing raster data.

Although exactly when and how it happens is of utmost importance to you in being able to replicate it, consider that perhaps the bug is something broader and more general than a set of steps you might be able to replicate. Perhaps the bug is on a much broader layer of the software...i don't know - that's your job to discover.

Just try to take what we are giving you and find the similarities....

1) It seems everybody is experiencing this on the newly released Photoshop CS5 for Mac, so apparently the issue lies somewhere in the Cocoa porting of the software.

I have never experienced this issue before upgrading to my CS5 Mac copy of Photoshop, and I've used Photoshop since version 6 circa 2000. I used 6 - CS5 on PC and never got this issue. I used CS4 - CS5 on Mac and only got this issue with CS5 Mac, while not doing anything I've never done on any of the past one or two versions - both PC and Mac.

So apparently the issue lies in some layer of your Cocoa implementation of the software features.

2) Regardless of the exact steps or featured used to produce the error, the result of the error to us users appears to be consistent: the users file is corrupted with missing segments of raster data (leaving transparency in the background) and/or parts of the image appear to have low-bit resolution blocks of color inserted, almost as though the color data is being scrambled or misinterpretted (as in this example screenshot from my user case:http://cl.ly/3KTx)

Happy diagnosing. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) It seems everybody is experiencing this on the newly released Photoshop CS5 for Mac, so apparently the issue lies somewhere in the Cocoa porting of the software.

No, because not everyone is experiencing it.

Also, we have similar complaints with EVERY version of Photoshop. The problem is usually traced to a bad RAM chip, bad hard drive, bad CPU, etc.

To diagnose such a problem, we need steps to reproduce it.

Confusing one set of steps (Gaussian Blur) with other sets of steps (pretty much anything else) is adding confusion, not helping solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, because not everyone is experiencing it.

Right - but actually I was referring to everyone HERE on this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2010 Dec 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got the issue again today. I've been working all day on a document with around 200 layers, and many groups. It's a template document for several trading card designs.

I used the Gaussian Blur filter several times already today very successfully, but on my most recent attempt the filter instead deleted most of the data from the layer I was working on, as well as the data from all of the other layers of which that layer was a copy.

Specifically, I was producing a background texture - or rather modifying the color of a background texture I'd used in several other layers. The original layer was simply a layer that I filled with a color from my swatches (via cmd + delete) and then added a layer style for a certain pattern that I use as a background texture (a custom pattern).

I wanted to modify this pattern to a darker color instead of the light tan that it is, so on the particular layer I was working on (which is a copy of the original I just referred to) I filled it with my new darker color (again cmd + delete), turned off the layer styles after I realized my pattern was still on, and then set the swatches to two colors that are close but one slightly darker and the other slightly lighter. Then I ran Filter > Add Noise, set to about 10% Gaussian. I then ran Filter > Blur > Guassian Blur at .5 px. Next I created a layer below, filled it with the base color, and set the layer above it to about 65% opacity. Then I merged the two layers together, and attempted to run the Gaussian Blur again.

That's when Photoshop deleted all (or most) of the data from that layer, and random bits of data from other layers. It also seems to have deleted all the raster data from the other background layers which were similar to that original one I copied it from, as they are all transparent too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2010 Dec 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has happened to us 4 times now on different files and different macs the second time I phoned up Adobe support and was told to delete the photoshop preference. Which worked for a bit but then it happened again. It does seem to have a link with the gaussian blur but other than that, it can happen to anyone on any file? It just takes block chunks from the image changes colours etc..

The studio are looking for answers and i can only dump preferences, replace from backup if there is a saved file as there seems to be little on this subject of corruption.

The updates have done nothing to address the problem.

Come on Adobe? If you want any files let me know I can give you some..

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 24, 2010 Dec 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We haven't reproduced the problem at all.

And we've been running Gaussian Blur and other commands pretty continuously under automation.

There's probably some factor missing -- maybe a plugin, some system configuration (fonts, video card, etc.),

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2010 Dec 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We too are experiencing the same issues. It occurs when we apply a blur to a color block and it happened when we applied a blur to a Vector Smart object. The common theme I am reading about here and other threads is using the blur effect. We tried replicating each step on the file that corrupted (by using a previously saved copy) and we could not get it to replicate. But about an hour later, it happened again. Mac computer 27" Imac Intel Core i3, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 3.2 GHz, CS5 photoshop, the document had about 10 layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines