17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2010 1:46 PM by nealeh

PE8 and now Premiere Pro CS-5 -  have I gone mad?  ;-)

P_Forrest Level 1

Hey gang!

Just to let you know, that I now have a new souped up PC with Premiere Pro CS-5 and also PE-8 installed on it!   I finally bought the Adobe Creative Suite Pro Premium to go along with my new PC.  It was time to bite the bullet with some extra funds at my disposal lately.  I haven't abandoned PE-8 and I will still do my next ukulele VID in it.   I'm too overwhelmed right now by Premiere CS-5.  It could take months to figure it out!  Is it that different?

cheerio!

Petey

• 1. Re: PE8 and now Premiere Pro CS-5 -  have I gone mad?  ;-)
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, as different as a Mack truck is from a Honda Civic anyway, Petey.

Actually, the principles of the programs is virtually identical. You set up your project's specs, you bring media into it, you edit, you add effects and transitions, and you output the results.

The difference is that Premiere Elements tries to guide you along, with its tabbed interface and task-oriented panels.

With Pro, you need to know a bit more about what you're doing.

But, if you're as experienced with Elements as you are, you shouldn't be intimidated by it. Once you start poking around and finding out where things are, you should be up to speed (at least on some level) in no time!

• 2. Re: PE8 and now Premiere Pro CS-5 -  have I gone mad?  ;-)
            P_Forrest Level 1

Thanks Steve...

Without your great instructional books,  I would have never been able to get my videos done so easily.   Not only do your books explain so well the basics and far beyond (I'm a librarian), but they inspire one with ideas how to make interesting and original videos.   I was always at a loss about adding digital camera pics (huge images) to a video properly without your hints.  Too many people flounder as beginners (and beyond) and your books fix that "pronto."

I'm not abandoning this forum either.   I'm also just overwelhmed with my new Windows 7 PC (i7 8 CPUs, 12 GIGS of RAM, GeForce GTX 470, etc...) and that is a challenge in itself.   Also,  I'm learning how to record audio in Sonar (Cakewalk) and the playback/recording inputs and outputs in Win 7 are way different than XP.

cheerio!

Petey

• 3. Re: PE8 and now Premiere Pro CS-5 -  have I gone mad?  ;-)
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe's Classroom in a Book is supposed to be good

• 4. Re: PE8 and now Premiere Pro CS-5 -  have I gone mad?  ;-)
                P_Forrest Level 1

Hi John,

I'm sure there are many cool books, but results are what count.  Too many people flounder and might as well just use Windows Movie Maker.  I never see their results on a consistent basis like a good bowler or good golfer.

I can honestly say I did most of my vids with Steve's tips.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PeteyHoudini

cheerio,

petey

• 5. Re: PE8 and now Premiere Pro CS-5 -  have I gone mad?  ;-)
                  gtacyclist

I made the transition from Premier Elements 8 to Premier Pro CS5 (actually Production Premium CS5 Student Edition) and Steve is correct. The concepts are the same and I did not have a hard time transitioning as I was already familiar with the use of keyframes with Elements. The transition effects are also very similar between the two.

I can get things done much faster in Premier Pro CS5 though. This is partly due to the 64 bit Mercury Playback Engine (no need to render to get smooth previews) and also the more efficient workflow structure in PPro. The ability to use multiple sequences is a major time saver. There are also less bugs in PPro and it is much more stable than Elements.

The bigger learning curve for me was using After Effects and Mocha but there are lots of tutorials online to help figure things out.

• 6. Re: PE8 and now Premiere Pro CS-5 -  have I gone mad?  ;-)
                    P_Forrest Level 1

Thanks for the info.   I want to play around with After Effects as well.  I need to learn to make RAIN and SNOW.

cheers,

Petey

• 7. Re: PE8 and now Premiere Pro CS-5 -  have I gone mad?  ;-)
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Rain and snow are easy in After Effects, Petey! They're part of the preset effects!

• 8. Re: PE8 and now Premiere Pro CS-5 -  have I gone mad?  ;-)
                        P_Forrest Level 1

Thanks Steve.

I can't wait to start exploring After Effects.

Petey

• 9. Re: PE8 and now Premiere Pro CS-5 -  have I gone mad?  ;-)
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Petey,

The first thing that I would do is pick up a copy of Adobe Classroom in a Book Pr CS5, Adobe Press. Curt Wrigley, the author, steps on through the interface, then leads them into editing sessions, using most of the capabilities of the program. Well-written and pretty complete, plus he goes into the "why" pretty deeply, as well as the "how."

Happy editing,

Hunt

• 10. Re: PE8 and now Premiere Pro CS-5 -  have I gone mad?  ;-)
                            P_Forrest Level 1

Thanks Hunt!

I also just noticed there is the same series for CS-5 After Effects.   I will buy both books since those are really the programs I will use a lot.  I already know Photoshop quite well so I can focus on the two main programs.   I just tested out the SNOW effect in After Effects and it's so easy to change the parameters.  I love that.  No more Magix for my snow and rain!  Woohoo!

Tonight, I will crack open a bottle of red. 

Cheers!

Petey

• 11. Re: PE8 and now Premiere Pro CS-5 -  have I gone mad?  ;-)
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

I also use the CiaB for AE, though have not gotten my copy of CS5 yet. As I have not installed any of my CS5 suite, I have time, and am taking it one program at a time. I'll do the same for PS CS5, since there are quite a few changes, and new features from my older CS2 version, plus I will have the Extended version, so that will all be new to me. Lot of reading over the Holidays!!!!

I have most of the CiaB series, going way, way back. Probably time to donate those, but I still find that I refer back, from time to time.

Good luck, and happy reading,

Hunt

• 12. Re: PE8 and now Premiere Pro CS-5 -  have I gone mad?  ;-)
                                P_Forrest Level 1

Hi Hunt,

I'm also a long-time Photoshop CS2 user as well.  It's nice to have the Creative Suite Pro Premium.  I installed it all.  I only wish it had Acrobat because my Acrobat 8.0 cannot install on Windows 7 and there are no workarounds.  It wants a Vista DLL.  One has to buy at least Acrobat 9 and I did that since it was cheaper than the forthcoming Acrobat X.

Those books should give me a good solid grounding.   I also can't complain with my new PC: Intel i7 (8 CPUs), 12 GIGs, 3 terrabyte HDs, Fatality soundcard, etc...

I originally had the Win 7 Pro OS on a 60 GIG solid state drive, but that proved to be problematic and I took my PC back to the shop and had them replace it with a standard TB normal drive.   Why?  When one has a lot of programs  to install, one always has to be on guard not to install on the small solid state drive.  Even when I accidentally installed programs on it and deleted them, it wouldn't give up its space.  I was soon left with only 10 GIGs...    Also, I like to use the DESKTOP as a temporary space for files at times....  that was on the C: drive profile.  I heard one could switch the whole profile to another drive but no one could tell me how to do it and new profiles would go on the C:   Anyway,  it was nice having the OS boot so quick, but installing programs became tiresome.

cheers,

Petey

• 13. Re: PE8 and now Premiere Pro CS-5 -  have I gone mad?  ;-)
                                  nealeh Level 5

P_Forrest wrote:

I heard one could switch the whole profile to another drive but no one could tell me how to do it

I always find it simpler to redirect my various libraries to my data drive. Right-click the folder, e.g. "My Documents" and select "Properties". Then enter your new location in the "Locations" tab. Do this for Documents, Videos, Downloads, Music and Pictures and then there is little left for the C: drive.

1.png

Cheers,
                                  --
                                  Neale
                                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 14. Re: PE8 and now Premiere Pro CS-5 -  have I gone mad?  ;-)
                                    P_Forrest Level 1

Hi Neale,

If I do that, what happens to the files and folders already in My Documents and my various libraries?

Petey

• 15. Re: PE8 and now Premiere Pro CS-5 -  have I gone mad?  ;-)
                                      nealeh Level 5

I honestly don't recall. But it will either move them or it won't. If it doesn't just copy the contents from the C: location to the new location with Windows Explorer.

Cheers,
                                      --
                                      Neale

• 16. Re: PE8 and now Premiere Pro CS-5 -  have I gone mad?  ;-)
                                        P_Forrest Level 1

Thanks Neale. 

I will give it a try this weekend and switch things over to my 2nd drive.   My 3rd drive is dedicated for Sonar and Premiere.   My only remaining problem is that my Fatality soundcard headphones don't work from the front bay.   Argh!!! 

Everything else on new PC is pretty much settled and set up the way I like:  Office Pro 2010, Sibelius 6.2, Finale 2011, Acrobat, Roxio 2011, QuickTime Pro (my old code works from 4 years ago), Adobe Creative Suite, PE8,  Sonar 8.5, etc...     hehe!

cheerio!

Petey

• 17. Re: PE8 and now Premiere Pro CS-5 -  have I gone mad?  ;-)
                                          nealeh Level 5

P_Forrest wrote:

My only remaining problem is that my Fatality soundcard headphones don't work from the front bay.

Mine used to work fine and the Creative software had an option to mute the speakers when the headphones were plugged. But over time this feature got flakier and flakier until it doesn't. I presume that there must be a circuit breaker that gradually wore away until it doesn't register. Fingers crossed that the headphones at least carry on working.

Cheers,
                                          --
                                          Neale