9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2010 10:13 AM by the_wine_snob

Version 8 Projects - New computer

Steven-K Level 1

I am currently using version 8.0, Windows XP 32 bit and have created and rendered a number of projects. A couple of the projects are not yet rendered and burned to a DVD and still being worked on.

I will be purchasing a new computer and am concerned if any issues will come up when I continue to use version 8.0. Or should I upgrade to version 9.0?

The new computer will have the following:

*  Windows 7 Professional - 64 bit
      *  Intel Core i7-870 quad-core processor [2.93GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache]
      *  8 GB ram - DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs]
      *  1.5TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
      *  2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 420 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

• 1. Re: Version 8 Projects - New computer
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The joke at http://Muvipix.com is that version 8 is to Vista as version 9 is to Windows 7.

Adobe really did address a lot of version 8's issues in version 9 and greatly improved the program's versatility and performance all around. Have a look at my review and tour and it should give you a pretty good idea why I'm a big supporter of version 9 -- and still a little iffy about even the patched version 9.

http://Muvipix.com/pe9.php

As for your powerhouse computer -- you've definitely got plenty of power on hand there!

If there is a liability at all it's that it's got the 64-bit version of Windows 7, which offers few noticeable advantages over the 32-bit version (at least none noticeable for day-to-day computing, including editing video with Premiere Elements) and some occasional challenges for the Elements programs.

So, before I committed to any version of Premiere Elements on this supercomputer, I'd download the trial and give it a test drive. For all the power (and sizeable investment) you have, it might be worth considering spending a few more dollars for a 64-bit editor like Premiere Pro CS4 or CS5. At least then you could take advantage of the 64-bit architecture.

• 2. Re: Version 8 Projects - New computer
            nealeh Level 5

I liked Vista . Within days of first using it I didn't want to return to XP.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: Version 8 Projects - New computer
              A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

True, it is the 64 bit application, which Premiere Elements (any version) is not, that can take full advantage of the 64 bit system resources.

However, it needs to be pointed out that Premiere Pro CS5 is a 64 bit application whereas Premiere Pro CS4 is not really. CS4 is "optimized for 64 bit". Big difference. From what I have read in online Adobe references on the matter of "optimized for 64 bit", this is just a virtual memory perk where Adobe created several .exe files so that each would have its own 2 GB of virtual address space [virtual address space being related to virtual memory rather than RAM (physical memory)].

It is more than likely that newcomers to Premiere Pro will end up with the current version of it (CS5). But for those who find and get a good deal on CS4, it would be a good idea for them to check out the distinction between 64 bit application versus Optimized for 64 bit in their particular situation.

ATR

• 4. Re: Version 8 Projects - New computer
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Steven-K

I have found that Premiere Elements 8 with the 8.0.1 Update (Patch) and with the automatic features of Background Rendering and AutoAnalzyer turned OFF is a very reliable program (on a par with any of the previous versions)..Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit. There are still some glitches being worked out with Premiere Elements 9. Those matters have been detailed in other threads here. If you look at the tryout, you will possibily be faced with incompatible drivers messages and Edit Mode Monitor display issues which you may or may not see in the purchased version.

Remember if you edit your Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 projects in Premiere Elements 9, you will not be able to go back and edit them in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1.

Although I have found it to be a very rare occurence, projects from an earlier version refuse to open in a later version. So, it may be a good idea to finish Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 projects in that version and start new projects in Premiere Elements 9. You know that the trial version does come with watermark display which can be removed from your content after a purchased Premiere Elements 9 arrives on the scene.

Both versions 8 and 9 come with a large "footprint".

Hope you find the information helpful. Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Version 8 Projects - New computer
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

While PrPro CS5 is only 64-bit, Adobe has included CS4 in the suites, as some other programs in the suites are 32-bit apps, like Encore. Adobe also offers PS in both flavors in those suites too.

However, were I building a system for CS5 (something that I am in the middle of now), I would definitely go with Win7-64. That OS should have an SP1 out soon, if not already released (been out of town a lot, and have not checked). With Win7-64 SP1, much should be addressed. There is still the issue that many CODEC's, and plug-ins are only 32-bit, so one needs to look into that, if they use a lot of other CODEC's, and plug-ins. Some of those are also upgrade for a price, so there could well be another consideration.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Version 8 Projects - New computer
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

According to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff817622(WS.10).aspx Win7 SP1 was released to BETA in July - with no notice that I see as to when SP1 will be released to the public

• 7. Re: Version 8 Projects - New computer
                      Steven-K Level 1

Wow!  A lot of great ideas!

Investing in CS 5 is a viable option, because cost is not an issue.

My major concern is the serious learning curve involved. I would probably be way over my head in trying to use this advanced and complex program.

• 8. Re: Version 8 Projects - New computer
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

John T.,

Thanks for that. I had not been keeping up, and have been woefully out of the loop recently.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Version 8 Projects - New computer
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Steven K,

Cannot recall if I mentioned it in this thread, but I highly recommend the Adobe Classroom in a Book PrPro CS5, Adobe Press. The author, Curt Wrigley, steps the user through the entire interface, and then on working with most aspects of the program. He covers the "why," along with the "how," and when one has worked through the exercises, they have a good working knowledge of the program. Personally, I find that book better than watching a bunch of video tutorials, but then I am a "book person," so that should not come as a surprise. I'm reading the CiaB CS5 now, though I have not gotten my new computer and installed CS5 yet.

Good luck, and the PrPro CS5 forum is a great resource too. Lot of very knowledgeable folk there, and all are willing to share.

Hunt