12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2010 7:28 AM by the_wine_snob

Adobe Premiere Elements 9 constant crashing

rob_itslondon

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone was experiencing this problem, every time I try to move video around the timeline in Premiere Elements 9 (PE9) it develops an error and I get the box that gives me an option to send a report to Microsoft.

I have tried re-installing PE9 several times, with and without the extra content and have the same problem.

before I start PE9 I close down everything else and run the EndItAll app.

My virtual memory is vast and my computer spec exceeds Adobe's recommended spec for PE9

Its very frustrating as I am only producing small videos for youtube.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 constant crashing
          nealeh Level 5

It could be almost anything. And the Adobe's 'specs' are far lower than is really required.

First follow these basics:

• Install all Windows Updates.

• Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.8 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.

• Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites.
          • Run Disk Cleanup.
          • Run Defragmenter.
          • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning.

Then post back here with details on your PC and footage:

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 constant crashing
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's also important that your C drive be DEFRAGMENTED and free of temp files and spyware.

And much of the program's stability depends on the type of camcorder your video is coming from and which project settings you used when you set up your Premiere Elements project.

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 constant crashing
              rob_itslondon Level 1

Thanks for getting back to me

Small update, PRE has also started bringing up windows runtime errors

All the basics you suggested were done well in advance of me posting.

My Pc runs the following

Windows XP

Intel Xeon 2.80Ghz

3GB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro FX 580

1 x 500GB HDD(400GB Free)

Page File = 10GB located on C:

The video came from a supplier (panasonic) so i dont know many of the details on it i'm afraid and I downloaded it from there site.

Im using the PAL - Hard Drive - Standard 48kHz

GSpot.jpg

thanks

Rob

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 constant crashing
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm seeing some strange indicators in that G Spot report, Rob. It may not be a standard AVCHD camcorder.

But without knowing the model of camcorder this video was shot with, I can't make any further recommendations.

Maybe someone else can tell what's going on. Sorry.

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 constant crashing
                  rob_itslondon Level 1

thanks for the input,

To be honest I think there may be a bigger problem than the video file, as the crash occurs with still images, .psd files, video camera footage, mobile phone footage etc.

Thanks anyway Steve

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 constant crashing
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

One of the first things that I would do is make sure to tune up, and then set up your computer for an editing session. This ARTICLE will give you some tips.

Also, the FAQ's to the right of the main forum page offers plenty of tips on tuning up a computer for editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 constant crashing
                      nealeh Level 5

That it's crashing on just about every activity is worrying - you may like to think about backing up your hard disks.

• You didn't include this problem clip in the project that is crashing stills and other footage?
                      • Can you confirm that you tried it with your anti-virus switched off.
                      • Also try running it without using EndItAll - only close those items in your system tray that have an exit option (just in case something important is being closed).

It looks to me as though the clip might play in the QuickTime player. Can you try it and post back here. If it does then we can look at how to make it PRE friendly.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 constant crashing
                        rob_itslondon Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion Bill

That article was very helpful but i went through it several times before posting, and it didn't resolve the issue.

Cheers

Rob

• 9. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 constant crashing
                          rob_itslondon Level 1

Thanks Neal

Yes I tried to insert this clip into a project,but projects with out it have crashed aswell...

I have managed to convert it to an AVI using PRE which worked fine, but i still get the crash and runtime errors.

Yup tried it without anti-virus, saw a topic on that in another forum i think.

And i have also tried it without EndItAll too, sadly same story,

Going to try a new install on another machine and see what happens.

Best

Rob

• 10. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 constant crashing
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

For the C++ Runtime Error, this Adobe KB Article might be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 constant crashing
                              rob_itslondon Level 1

Thanks for that i will look into it,

Also I am having trouble opening .psd files, I noticed you have several other posts on the subject in the forum, but i have checked my .psd file and it would seem to tick all the boxes and has imported in the past, but now I get a error stating "the importer reported a generic error. " when i try to import any .psd file. works fine with other image types. It has also reported that the necessary codec was not found but i haven't seen that error in a while!

thanks

Rob

• 12. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 constant crashing
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Rob,

Do not know if any of these play a role in your PSD's, but here are some considerations:

Pixel x pixel dimensions Scaled to near the Frame Size of the Project, say 720 x 480 for SD Projects, and 1920 x 1080 for full HD Projects.

RGB Color Mode only - no Indexed Color or CMYK

Image in 8-bit and not 16-bit or 32-bit Mode

As PrE cannot directly work with Layered Images, like PrPro can, I also Flatten any Layers in PS, though PrE is usually good at doing this too. I also remove any Alpha Channels, unless I need those for Transparency, and also remove any Paths.

Just some thoughts, and good luck,

Hunt