4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2010 3:54 AM by Harm Millaard

New build advice

Stokesy3

Hi,

I am wanting to build a new PC (from an athlon2500)  to handle AVHD video for minor home/hobby use and I am looking at getting Adobe premiere CS5 as I can get an education version for a few hundred $.

This is what I have come up with as my best quality and remain under $2000 AUD (which is now $2000 USD btw !) with the plan to purchase from www.umart.com.au.

1Top quality1987
      ProcIntel Core i7 950 Processor LGA1366 3.06GHz 8MB Cache CPU329
      MBGigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R X58+ICH10R   QPI 6.4GT/s DDR3 2000 PCI-Ex16 SATAII SATA3 USB3.0 RAID GLAN ATX244
      GraphicsMSI GTX460 1G Hawk DDR5   2xDualLinkDVI miniHDMI255
      MemKingston 12GB(3X4G) KIT   1333MHz(PC3-10600)239
      SSD-SystemG.Skill Phoenix Pro 120G SSDHD   2.5 inch SATA2 [1]296
      Raid 0Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 SATA II 7200RPM 32M59
      Raid 0Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 SATA II 7200RPM 32M59
      StorageSamsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 SATA II 7200RPM 32M59
      PowerCorsair TX-750 750W ATX Power148
      CaseFractal Design Define R3 Case Black159
      Case fansNoctua NF-S12B-FLX 120mm   Fan x254
      CPU fanNoctua NH-U12P Special Edition SE286

Alternatives build choice that I have considered are:

MB:

Asus P6X58D-E MB (but no IDE cable which i could use for my existing dvd drive)(same $)

MSI X58 Pro-E X58 LGA1366 1600OC DrMos ATX (but not sli not possible, although i doubt i would use this)(-$57)

System drive:

Western Digital 150G SATAII VelociRaptor 10000rpm (-$148, but i like the idea of quick start up of ssd)

Or a samsung F3 (-$237)

CPU:

I did consider Athlon 1055 & GB GA-890XA M/B (-$186), but not much data on performance for CS5.

HDD

The F3's only have 32MB cache ...is this ok ? (alot of other HDs have 64MB?)

It would be nice to get it a few hundred cheaper if i can, but i dont really want to sacrifice performance too much (=time).

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated as i really dont know if this is all ok.

cheers and thanks,

Jason

• 1. Re: New build advice
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Jason,

In general it looks good, but to get to your question about the SSD, on your budget that is one pricey component just to gain a few seconds in the morning when you boot your machine (let's say 45 seconds instead of 50 seconds) and to gain around 3 seconds for starting up PR. Once PR runs, there is no advantage from having that expensive SSD. IMO you are better off with the Velociraptor as a boot disk plus an additional F3 and save some money is the process and get extra storage space.

There is hardly any discernible performance difference between 32 or 64 MB cache, so that should not worry you.

Have a look around this forum. There have been some topics on SSD's that may be worthwhile to look at and the PPBM5 Benchmark will show what makes a fast system.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New build advice
            Stokesy3 Level 1

Hi Harm,

thanks for the response and feedback!

Regarding system drive of:  SSD ($300)  vs. velociraptor 150 MB ($150) vs F3 ($60)

Most of the top systems have SSD in the 'league tables'. But I take your point regarding start up for SSD, while it will start the machine pretty quick the system is still going to be slowed down by everything else on board. It is attractive, but it does become as costly as the CPU.

I did recall seeing a review of the 600 MB velociraptor (cant find it now) which included comparison to the 150 MB velociraptor and F3.  The F3 and 150 MB velocityraptor were fairly similar on most benchmarks that i recall, so am I really getting benefit for that extra $100 for the velociraptor over just using an F3 ? 

I was thinking of just using the F3 now as the system drive (and partioning it to 150 MB and keeping the rest empty) and then in a year or two i get a next generation SSD that will be better and at reasonable price point.

cheers

Jason

• 3. Re: New build advice
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Jason,

I'll give you an alternative for the boot disk: Samsung Spinpoint 320 GB F4 for around € 30.

You should NEVER partition a disk. All that partitioning achieves, is increasing the wear-and-tear on the mechanical drive, reducing life-span and reducing performance.

By the end of 2011 there will be a new generation of SSD's available, that will have better performance than the current crop and double the storage capacity for around the same price as now.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: New build advice
                Stokesy3 Level 1

Hi Harm,

Looks good - i missed that one. Looks like the right call.

I can't find it anywhere in Australia though (quick look), so may have to import it from the UK.

cheers

Jason