12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2010 2:25 PM by Steve Grisetti

How to get MiniDVD footage on to DVD?

agreen01 Level 1

Using the latest Premiere Elements trial, with Windows 7.

I'm new to Premiere Elements, but I need to copy 4x sides of miniDVD footage (max. 80mins total) to DVD, and then burn multiple copies to pass to family.

Is that something I can do in Premiere Elements?  What's the best way to do that?

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: How to get MiniDVD footage on to DVD?
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          I need to copy 4x sides of miniDVD footage

I am not following your needs here, but in general, one would set up a DVD/Hard Drive Camera Project in PrE, then use the program to Get Media from the mini DVD. This will come into the program as VOB (MPEG-2) material. One would then edit that footage, and create Menus (or AutoPlay) and Burn to Disc. For multiple copies, I like doing a Burn to Folder instead, and then using the great, free utility, ImgBurn, to do the physical Burn from that VIDEO_TS folder.

Be sure to use high-quality blank media, like Verbatim, or Taiyo Yuden, and burn at less than max speed (ImgBurn will allow this, but PrE will not).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How to get MiniDVD footage on to DVD?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Just to add to what Bill says, make sure your miniDVD is finalized in your camcorder before you try to add the files to Premiere Elements. Otherwise it won't go.

Then just put the disc in your computer's disc drive and, as Bill says, use Get Media/from DVD Camcorders or DVD Drive to rip the files from the disc to your computer. (And, as Bill says, ensure you're using the Hard Drive Camcorder project preset or you'll run into problems later.)

• 3. Re: How to get MiniDVD footage on to DVD?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Personally, when I have material on a DVD (mini, or otherwise), I like to Copy over the files to the internal HDD, or to a FW-800, or eSATA external, rather than work directly FROM the DVD. There are two reasons for this:

1.) the speed will be greater, when dealing with the media files on the internal, or a fast external

2.) that DVD will need to be in the drive, whenever one wishes to work with that material, and this can be an issue for many

Some users save the time to do the Copy, but then finish the Project, with that DVD in the drive, so #2 does not present an issue for them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: How to get MiniDVD footage on to DVD?
                agreen01 Level 1

I think I follow everything so far with using the miniDVD in the drive.  But how do I copy the files to the internal HDD and run the whole process from there?

• 5. Re: How to get MiniDVD footage on to DVD?
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>how do I copy the files

For Windows (I don't know what a Mac uses) that would be Windows Explorer

• 6. Re: How to get MiniDVD footage on to DVD?
                    agreen01 Level 1

Thanks for that.  But what files specifically am I looking for?  Do they have particular file names?  Or is it just the whole lot??

• 7. Re: How to get MiniDVD footage on to DVD?

Go back and re-read what Bill Hunt wrote on Nov 12, 2010 at 6:44 AM

VOB

• 8. Re: How to get MiniDVD footage on to DVD?
                        agreen01 Level 1

At that time Bill Hunt seems to say that the process can be done from the miniDVD straight into Premiere Elements.  But then later says he often copies files to the HDD first.

I'm confused.  Which should I do?

Copy the files to the HDD?  If yes, which files?

Or should I be running it straight from the miniDVD?

Thanks again.

• 9. Re: How to get MiniDVD footage on to DVD?

>Copy the files to the HDD?

Yes

>If yes, which files?

VOB

• 10. Re: How to get MiniDVD footage on to DVD?

Or, as I say in my book:

1. Finalize the DVD in your camcorder.

2. Place the DVD in your computer's DVD player.

3. Start a new Premiere Elements project, using the Hard Drive Camcorder project settings.

4. Go to the Organize tab and select Get Media/From DVD or DVD Camcorder

5. Set the Video Importer/Media Downloader to your DVD drive, select all of the VOB files and click the Import/Download button.

6. The imported media will be moved to your hard drive and will appear in your Project panel.

• 11. Re: How to get MiniDVD footage on to DVD?
                              agreen01 Level 1

Steve, fantastic instructions, thanks very much.

A few more questions from Mr Beginner.

1. I'm borrowing the miniDVDs off a friend who shot them a while ago.  I don't know whether they were finalized, and she may not either.  Are there any particular errors in the process I might watch out for that could be due to them not being finalized?
                              2. After I've done all my editing in Premiere Elements, how do I output and to what format should I be outputting?  (I want to give 1x DVD to my friend with all 75mins approx. footage on so she can play it in her TV's DVD player and/or her computer)
                              3. Finally, how should I burn everything to DVD?

Thanks again.

• 12. Re: How to get MiniDVD footage on to DVD?

After you've created your project on your timeline, go to Share/To Disc and select the DVD option.

I'd advised you to set this option to Burn to Folder. This will create a VIDEO_TS file on your hard drive.

Then, any time you want to make a copy of your DVD, all you need to do is burn this VIDEO_TS folder to a playable DVD disc.