8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2010 10:33 AM by the_wine_snob

WAB - How to turn back on Autosizing

Ed.Macke Level 3

Normally the Work Area Bar (WAB) automatically expands and contracts as clips are added and removed from the timeline.

But it seems that manually adjusting the WAB turns its auto-sizing capability off.

My question is whether there is a way to turn the WAB auto-sizing back ON after PrE has turned it off.

• 1. Re: WAB - How to turn back on Autosizing
          Ed.Macke Level 3

Forgot to add (forum won't let me "edit")... I'm on v7.

• 2. Re: WAB - How to turn back on Autosizing
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

Normally, when one resets the WAB, it resumes its "auto" resizing. I will do the resetting by first hitting the \ (Backslash key), and then Dbl-clicking on the little square in the middle to expand it to the full Duration of the Timeline. There have been a few reports of the auto resizing not seeming to work, and those seem to be with PrE 9, but am not sure if those reports indicate a change in the function, or maybe something else that was affected by the users. When you do the full Duration reset, as per above, do the auto resizing not come back for you?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: WAB - How to turn back on Autosizing
              Ed.Macke Level 3

Hunt, the "resetting" the WAB sounds vaguely familiar... I'm thinking I might have done that before and it worked.

It's something that happens so infrequently (I normally have no reason to manually adjust the WAB), so it's one of those "Dang, I know this happened before but I have no idea what I did to fix it last time" things.

I'll try that tonight and report back.

• 4. Re: WAB - How to turn back on Autosizing
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

Please do try the resetting. As many users do not adjust the WAB, and then often have no real reason to reset it, it could be that there is a Bug, and that most just never encounter it.

Happy editing,

Hunt

• 5. Re: WAB - How to turn back on Autosizing
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunately, as we discovered on the http://Muvipix.com forum, Adobe intentionally disabled the ability to go back to automatically sizing the WAB after you manually set it, for some reason. (This happened in version 8 but continues in version 9.)

• 6. Re: WAB - How to turn back on Autosizing
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting Steve. Wonder what the thinking was on that?

Thanks for letting us all know,

Hunt

• 7. Re: WAB - How to turn back on Autosizing
                      Ed.Macke Level 3

Sadly, it didn't work.

Hitting the slash (/) and double-clicking on the center square in the WAB (what *IS* that square for, anyway) both seemed to have some effect, but no combination seemed to turn back on the "automatic" resizing.

Generally, I never manually resize the WAB either, but for one project I had faded out my last clip and wanted to display a few extra seconds of black screen. The clip didn't have anything trimmed from the end, otherwise I would have just dragged out the end of the faded-out clip. So instead I just dragged the WAB out instead. That was fine until I went back in and removed some material. Since the WAB remained, I ended up with about 20 seconds of black instead of 2.

Anyway, lesson learned: don't be lazy and just drag out the WAB to get a few seconds of black at the end!

• 8. Re: WAB - How to turn back on Autosizing
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Normally, that "square" will reset the WAB, when the entire Timeline is displayed, or would reset to the full view of the Timeline, should it be zoomed in.

Also, you can hover the cursor over that square, and it will read out the In & Out Points, plus the Duration of the WAB. This is very useful for adding music, where one wishes to create/edit it for a portion of the Timeline - the WAB will tell you how long a set Duration is.

Good luck,

Hunt