4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2011 1:58 PM by chris.campbell

-webkit-box-shadow & Windows 7

nycchris

I've been trying to track down why Air recently stopped responding on certain pages in my Ajax app. I tracked it down to instances where I used -webkit-box-shadow on large elements on a page. It seems to work ok when used on small popup windows, but if I use it on a large table or div (around 1000px and up), Air becomes painfully slow and occasionally stops responding. I went through and commented out all of the shadows and everything is okay again.  Only happens to the Windows version. Tested on Windows 7 and OSX 10.6. Not a problem when using webkit based browsers.

-webkit-box-shadow: 3px 6px 10px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.25);

• 1. Re: -webkit-box-shadow & Windows 7
          Catalin Anastasoaie Adobe Employee

Hi Chris,

I'm trying to better understand the issue your having and for this I've used the following html code in an AIR application on a Windows 7 machine.

<div width="1000px" height="1000px" style="border: 1px solid red; -webkit-box-shadow: 3px 6px 10px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.25);">

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries, but also the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged. It was popularised in the 1960s with the release of Letraset sheets containing Lorem Ipsum passages, and more recently with desktop publishing software like Aldus PageMaker including versions of Lorem Ipsum.

</div>

I've duplicated the code multiple times (~15) and tried to scroll through the page. Indeed it appears to have a slight performance issue on Win vs Mac OS but before doing more in this direction I want to make sure that I'm doing the right thing. For this I have a list of questions:

1. Is the html code I've used similar to yours?

2. What kind of performance issues do you have? (when scrolling, when navigating, mouse moving slowly, etc)

3. How many items, similar to the one above, do you have in one page?

Thanks,

Catalin

• 2. Re: -webkit-box-shadow & Windows 7
            nycchris Level 1

Hi Catalin,

Here is a very basic demo of what is happening. It's just a div filled up with a bunch of line breaks:

http://chrismacke.com/airdemo2.html

Removing the shadow clears up the performance issue. It's mostly extremely slow scrolling or Air stops responding completely depending on the computer.

Chris

• 3. Re: -webkit-box-shadow & Windows 7
              deepakaj

Hi,

I've noticed the same issue while trying to load a bunch of websites. Have you found a solution yet?

Is there way to perhaps disable specific css3 features?

Also, we've noticed the scroll/freeze issue on win xp and vista as well, works fine on the mac though.

• 4. Re: -webkit-box-shadow & Windows 7
                chris.campbell Adobe Employee

Hi guys,

I just wanted to give a quick update that we're aware of this issue and we have it logged internally as bug #2792893 and it's scheduled to be fixed in an upcoming release.  I don't have a date to give at this point, but it is definitely on our radar.

Thanks,

Chris