6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2010 2:57 AM by Stormcloud492 RSS

Incorrect Page Size or Orientation Error Detected in Live Preflight

Stormcloud492 Community Member

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 12:16:40 PM PST

I am trying to prepare a newsletter created in Adobe InDesign to send to a Printer in Germany.  This is the first time I'm sending a document to press since moving to Germany last February and the first time since upgrading my computer and software to:

MacBookPro: Model 5,3

Adobe InDesign:  ver. 6.0.6

Adobe Acrobat Pro:  ver. 9.4.0

The standard paper size in Europe is "A4" , slightly larger than our "Letter" size. Document was set up an "A4" document size. A4 is also selected on the Print menu.

Live Preflight shows "incorrect page size or orientation" and says:

Required: 612 pt. x 792 pt.

Current: 595.276 pt. x 841.89 pt.

Fix: Choose File/ Document Setup to specified required page size.

I tried changing the document setup to the "required" 612 x 792, and the document was squeezed into the smaller space, ruining the document formatting! I undid the damage and looked further for the incorrect preference setting.

There is a wrong setting somewhere, but I can't find it.

Distiller is rejecting the document and won't generate a PDF. The only other errors detected in Preflight were RGB color space issues.

All settings in InDesign Preferences, Print Menu and PDF generator are set for the size A4, yet Preflight insists that the Document

Size and Orientation are incorrect and suggests changing the size to 612 pt. x 792 pt.

I also noted that when setting up the PDF, I did not check "Optimized for Fast Web Viewing," yet when I generated the PDF, it "Optimized for Fast Web Viewing." It seems that there is some preference somewhere that is overriding my selections. But where....?!

I was able to generate a PDF from InDesign (without going through Distiller) and the printer was able to use the PDF.  I was taught to always use Distiller when submitting files to printers, and to "package" the files.  Is there some risk in sending files without using Distiller?

In addition to the page size/orientation issue, Europe has different standards for color space and printers' ink also. If anyone could shed some light on how I should adapt to European standards, I would be grateful.

I was disappointed that Adobe offered only paid support, although I purchased Adobe CS4 less than a year ago. For such an expensive

product, I would think free support would be available for at a minimum one year.

• 1. Re: Incorrect Page Size or Orientation Error Detected in Live Preflight
          Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Your document was set up correctly, and the sizes listed inthe preflight warning are correct for A4. The preflight profile is probably set up to look for the dimensions of a letter size page. you can change them or ignore it.

Preflight Page Size.png

• 2. Re: Incorrect Page Size or Orientation Error Detected in Live Preflight

Yes, Preflight was looking for letter size and created a conflict with my page size/orientation selections in the document setup and print setup.

No, this didn't resolve the problem keeping Distiller from making my PDF.

Here is the message Distiller gave when it rejected the file:

Distilling: 12_REVISTA_INFORMATIVA_07.indd

Start Time: Saturday, November 13, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Source: /Users/bethshaw/Desktop/DOEBRICH NEWSLETTER/12_DESIGN/12_REVISTA_INFORMATIVA_07.indd

Destination: /Users/bethshaw/Desktop/DOEBRICH NEWSLETTER/12_DESIGN/12_REVISTA_INFORMATIVA_07.pdf

Adobe PDF Settings: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Settings/Standard.joboptions

%%[ Error: undefined; OffendingCommand:   Ìıÿ FÂΩ1ÔÁ˛t∑ DOCUMENT p  ]%%

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

Distill Time: 7 seconds (00:00:07)

**** End of Job ****

Does every criterion set in Preflight have to be fulfilled for Distiller to work?  How do I isolate the problem keeping the PDF from being created?

• 3. Re: Incorrect Page Size or Orientation Error Detected in Live Preflight
              [Jongware] CommunityMVP

...??? That Distiller message indicates you are throwing your InDesign file onto it. Distiller can only distill PS files.

Why not use Export to PDF?

• 4. Re: Incorrect Page Size or Orientation Error Detected in Live Preflight
                Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Preflight has no bearing whatever on wheter a file will print or export. It's just a tool to check for possible problems so you can fix them if you choose to do so.

SOme problems are fatal, some inconsequential, and if your files fails ift's because of the problem that preflight may or may not have reported, not the from the process of finding and reporting it. The file will behave exactly the same if Preflight is turned off.

• 5. Re: Incorrect Page Size or Orientation Error Detected in Live Preflight

I am "rusty" at this; the last time I sent a book cover to a printer was two years ago and I forgot that this file was created in Adobe Illustrator, not InDesign.  Does InDesign contain all the capabilities to make-ready files for the printer and you make the PDF directly?

I did, eventually, make the PDF directly from InDesign, but was under the misconception that it should have been generated from Distiller.  Do I understand correctly that Distiller is only used for Photoshop files? 

Now that the job has successfully gone to the printer, it's time for a "post-mortem" so that I learn everything I should have already known! Is there a tutorial on Prepress I could take?

• 6. Re: Incorrect Page Size or Orientation Error Detected in Live Preflight

Thanks for the clarification, Peter.  The printer asked that I NOT convert the RGB files to CMYK because he preferred to do it.  I wasn't clear whether Preflight flagged these color space errors and prevented the PDF from executing.  Good to know it's just a pre-screening tool.

Your comments have been very helpful.