6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2010 2:48 AM by Powered by Design

Will Premiere Pro Cs5 Read My Current Cs4 Files

Daz1761 Level 1

Hello,

This is a bit of a multi question about most of the adobe master suite apps.....

I am currently in university working with Premiere Pro and After Effects CS4, I am coming to and end with one project with Premiere Pro CS4 but sitting in my hands right now is a brand new Adobe master suite CS5 box and I am itching to install but as you guessed I am concerned that the above CS4 files will not work.

I am not using any 3rd party fx i.e Borix etc also

Also is it possible to save a CS5 file so it is backwards compatible with CS4 or CS3 apps Win or MAC?  I have read somewhere that you can save as a legacy file, but not sure if this applies to all of the master suite.

P.s I am using the MAC OSX Version, not PC

Many thanks

Daz

• 1. Re: Will Premiere Pro Cs5 Read My Current Cs4 Files
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Generally speaking, projects (Premiere and/or After Effects) will move forward from version to version. In your case, your CS4 projects should open and be workable in CS5; there may be the loss of some effects/transitions, depending on what you've used, but your edits should otherwise remain intact.

Going backward is a different story. I have been able to open a CS5 project file in CS4, but it was a very basic project. I would not rely on this for any sort of regular workflow; bouncing back and forth, even one time, between versions could potentially corrupt a project. The best practice is to stick with one version and stay there. Whatever happens, always keep a backup of your project in a safe place; moving a CS4 project to CS5 will necessitate a project conversion (which is done automatically on opening the project the first time), and this leaves the original, but redundancy can never hurt.

If a project file will not go backward from CS5 to CS4, you also have the option of exporting your project as an AAF file. However, this preserves far less information than a Premiere Pro project file, so it should only be used in a worst-case scenario where the project file won't open in an older version and you desperately need it to.

The short story is: yeah, it'll probably work, but don't count on it for a regular part of your workflow. Forward is OK, backward is a maybe, ping-pong is playing with fire.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Will Premiere Pro Cs5 Read My Current Cs4 Files
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Colin's answer is somewhat specific to Premiere Pro, so here's the After Effects part:

- Going from After Effects CS4 to After Effects CS5 is no problem as long as you have the 64-bit versions of the plug-ins used in the project. There are also a few formats that got dropped from After Effects CS5; they're listed here.

- Going from After Effects CS5 to After Effects CS4 doesn't work at all. There are some very tedious partial workarounds, but you'd only use them in rare cases.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Will Premiere Pro Cs5 Read My Current Cs4 Files
              Daz1761 Level 1

Thanks Guys for your help,

Theres just one question that i forgot to include on this post, can you have the CS5 master suite installed as well as the CS4 master suite?  Or would this cause problems.

Going back to my current premiere pro project for uni, there is nothing complicated going on, just other people .mov files stitched together and some basic motion keyframing so opening it up in cs5 should be ok as long as i make a back up version of my folder.

AE we are not starting till monday but i have started some basic compositing with it but will not be missed.  So I think i will get my student serial number from Adobe and get installing!

Also, you wouldn't know how many computers off hand I can install my Master Suite Cs5 Student and teacher edition on?  I hope it at least 2 as i have a laptop and a desktop?

No worries as i can ask adobe, because they don't make it very clear on the educational page.

Cheers

Daz

• 4. Re: Will Premiere Pro Cs5 Read My Current Cs4 Files
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> can you have the CS5 master suite installed as well as the CS4 master suite?

Yes.

Install CS5 after CS4. If you install CS4 after CS5, that can cause problems.

> Also, you wouldn't know how many computers off hand I can install my Master Suite Cs5 Student and teacher edition on?  I hope it at least 2 as i have a laptop and a desktop?

The standard single-user retail license allows for installation on two computer systems. I don't know whether the student license is identical to the standard single-user retail license, but I would presume so. Read the end-user license that came with your software to be certain.

• 5. Re: Will Premiere Pro Cs5 Read My Current Cs4 Files
                  Daz1761 Level 1

Thank you for all your help,

Still havnt removed the plastic from the packaging yet lol , will have a read later

Will probably finish my project then totally uninstall Cs4 and start with a clean slate

Cheers

• 6. Re: Will Premiere Pro Cs5 Read My Current Cs4 Files